Render Under Trudeau - Page 6 - The Combine Forum
 203Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Jazz or anybody. So how do these proposed changes stop you from passing the farm along? Cant you still sell land for a dollar? And aren't your capital gains exemptions the same as they always were? Again am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtupfarmer View Post
hihi, where are you seeing that your dad could not give you land? Currently your dad can transfer you land and you must put a value on it between $1 and fair market value. There is no tax implications. I don't see anything that changes that. Am I missing something?
Are you for real? I think you need a better accountant, gone are the days of trying a stunt like that. Also this plan of theirs was well well thought out, my brother has a very high folught'n accountant, he said all the back doors are already closed, once this goes through we are hooped, they knew people would rush to try transfer lands somehow before the effects kicked in, so they closed every other possibility ahead of time.
This affects me a lot, basically any young farmer hoping to at least get one quarter or many quarters, or shares in an existing farm. With such extreme debt loads and high costs and risks, the family farms will fail.
N.B. My neighbour has 50 quarters all paid for and his son was working as an employee for years to prove he is dedicated and will not just sell it all off or mess it all up, now for him to get into the operation (which was handed down for years), will now need to liquidate about 30% of the land base if he chooses to continue, just to cover the tax bill.
And if you think, wow hey, opportunity for you to buy.. uh, no, foreign investment will be grabbing the land or the Hutterites, because they will be unaffected.
I will be busy trying to manage my own tax bills too.

An to the guy who said immigrants are not lazy, are you kidding me? I have seen many countries, only to see the locals would rather play their gambling activities or just stand around rather then pick up garbage around them or work... why do you think they have such big families, they do nothing all day but F***.
I welcome different people here, as long as they want to contribute and justify themselves being here. But trust me, I have worked in numerous plants and construction sites, sad to say, but many are here only to take all they can. A true fact, there are many minorities in this nation by quite a bit, yet the Canadian Military is over 98% white, why is that? Because many of the minority citizens only view Canada as where they are living now, it is not their home...

It's a tough topic, taxes, because If it were spent wisely we wouldn't feel so bad.
And anyone who has a bleeding heart for the poor or new Canadians, you are fully capable of donating all your income, assets, and open your home to them. Nothing is stopping you.

NVW and dookiller like this.

Last edited by hihi962; 08-19-2017 at 12:50 AM.
post #53 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb View Post
Income inequality, the redistribution of wealth, class struggles, social inequality, poverty reduction, blah, blah, blaaa. Here's my challenge to all the bleeding hearts in the room. Please formulate a valid argument detailing why everyone reading this thread should pay more in taxes than they already do. Fuel tax, GST, Federal income tax, Provincial income tax, PST, carbon tax, capital gains tax, property taxes, excise taxes, dividend taxes, investment income taxes, and God only knows how many more. The tax act started out as a document with 4 or 5 pages and at present has ballooned to thousands and some of you think we should be paying more tax? Honestly?
First, you Canadians have a few extra ridiculous taxes that I don't have to deal with in the US. I won't argue for more taxes, but I am for getting rid of exemptions across the board from corporations down to income taxes for the 20 year old kid working in downtown Minneapolis (insert nearest Metro area). If that happened we could then have a lower tax percentage and my taxes would probably be about the same via your tried and true Trickle down theory... That could bring things back to a 4-5 page "conservative" tax document. While I definitely lean towards bleeding heart I also want to completely get out of the farm program/crop insurance system, but can't do it until I can string together a few good years. My issue with some of the viewpoints in this thread is that a lot of farmers talk out of both sides of their mouth. A lot of the loudmouth conservatives talk the talk until the farm program gets brought up... (maybe more of a US issue than Canadian one)

Social and political issues that you were dismissive about may be exaggerated, but if there is any sort of revolution in my lifetime I don't imagine it working out very well for us asset heavy landowners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hihi962 View Post

An to the guy who said immigrants are not lazy, are you kidding me? I have seen many countries, only to see the locals would rather play their gambling activities or just stand around rather then pick up garbage around them or work... why do you think they have such big families, they do nothing all day but F***.
I welcome different people here, as long as they want to contribute and justify themselves being here. But trust me, I have worked in numerous plants and construction sites, sad to say, but many are here only to take all they can. A true fact, there are many minorities in this nation by quite a bit, yet the Canadian Military is over 98% white, why is that? Because many of the minority citizens only view Canada as where they are living now, it is not their home...
Most Mexican and South American Immigrants are hard working and friendly. Heck I'll through India in there as well. There are some bad apples that I think a more thorough security check and border would minimize.
post #55 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8850Champion View Post
Most Mexican and South American Immigrants are hard working and friendly. Heck I'll through India in there as well. There are some bad apples that I think a more thorough security check and border would minimize.

Look I got no problem with anybody coming to this country, but leave your culture and believes at the boarder. If not why bother leaving your country of origin to begin with
Grainline and farmer Ron 48 like this.

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #56 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:43 AM

Hihi, I read the article it said nothing like what your saying, googled it, found nothing like your saying and I have a high falutin accountant and he isn't saying this either. SO ARE YOU FOR REAL!! And where do you get your information. That's what I asked. Sounds like mostly third hand.
torriem likes this.
post #57 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:45 AM

Selling land for a dollar isn't a stunt, when you give someone land you must put a value on it between fair market value and a dollar. Unless this has changed, if it has please show me where.
post #58 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:56 AM

I don't know if Alberta has a site like this https://web22.gov.mb.ca/MAO/Public/search_result.aspx this is what land sells for from 2012 to 2016, see all the $1?
post #59 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtupfarmer View Post
Selling land for a dollar isn't a stunt, when you give someone land you must put a value on it between fair market value and a dollar. Unless this has changed, if it has please show me where.
Won't work here. Has to be reasonably close to fair market or the IRS will be knocking on the door handing you a bill for the "Gift tax". A person can only gift $12000 per person per year to avoid it. So 2 parents can gift a total of $24000 to their child with no tax, and another $24000 to said childs spouse totaling $48000 without tax. If the parents sold 80 acres for $1 equaling $80 and fair market value is $10,000/acre totaling $800,000, then the child and spouse would e on the hook $800,000-$48000-$80= $751,920 in gift taxable money. At what rate I am not sure.

I have neighbors that have land in a partnership they are trying to dissolve simply by swapping like acres for like acres. This has to be through a ridiculous 2 year process in order to avoid capital gains. If they would just swap ground without the process the ground that was bought years ago for say $2000/acre is now valued as a sale a FMV or $10,000/acre leaving $8000/acre in capital gains with a tax rate of 15-50%. That's a real screw job when not one dollar ever traded hands and not one person gained an acre. They would in effect be paying capital gains on ground they bought and never sold. IRS says "something happened, we want money."

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #60 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
I'm personally in favor of helping refugees with my own donations and also with public tax revenue. There are far more white, red-neck Canadians on welfare than refugees or immigrants, and I don't think I can easily categorize them as lazy. Most refugees and immigrants desire to work and contribute to the economy. In fact many of them are willing to work doing essential jobs that you probably would not want to do.

I suggest you put your air miles to good use and go do a bit of traveling and see what's going on in the world. It will make you appreciate what you have but hopefully make you realize that people everywhere are the same with the same hopes and dreams as you and I, with really neat cultures and foods! Go visit with some refugees (syrian, or haitian or whatever) and hear their stories personally. They are already in your local communities.

I am happy to see Canada grow and change, as it always has. Sure we have problems (ours concern another group of community-members who have a lot of social problems). At least we're not yet fighting a civil war. And if things get bad I don't think it will be immigrants or refugees that start such a conflict... it will likely be the likes of those who gathered with their guns in Virginia the other day.

In the great accounting that will happen some day, it will not matter much how we farmed and how much tax we paid (or avoided). We may be individually powerless to change the world, but our own attitudes and prejudices will be weighed heavily. As well as how we treated "the least of them."

Going back on topic, I'd really like to hear an answer to my original question about how many of you will be immediately affected by these proposed changes, and how many will be affected down the road as you retire?
OK , if you want to help with donations and such , knock yourself out , lots are coming here cause they KNOW the system , the one gal they interviewed came all the way from Florida , how the **** do these people find all these loop holes out ?? YES we have lots of little $hits that were born and raised here and are a waste of oxygen , they sleep till noon and get up and get their social assistance check from the mailbox , WHY , cause they KNOW the SYSTEM !! Yes lots of New Canadians work at so called meaning less jobs ie; Walmart , 7 Eleven etc , at least they are working , i'll give them that !! BUT have YOU ever worked with any personally ?? My wife worked with some at a hog barn a few years back , they are fine to start with then they want the best jobs and then they want to tell you how to do yours !! They are almost taking portions the trucking industry over , HOW , hacking the rates , i'll give you an example of a grocery supplier that is no longer in business , had a good bunch of company drivers and leased operators , things were good , all of a sudden the NEW Canadians come along hacked the rates , took the work away from the longtime guys and things went downhill from there , the company thought HEY look at the $$$$ were saving , but when a truck loaded for Yorkton was sitting in Kindersley , or didn't make it at all , well it slowly went to he!! in a hand basket !! Same thing with the gravel haulers , the NEW Canadians come in , hack the rate , put all the other guys out of business , then what they are doing now , is when all the original guys are gone they start cranking the rates cause their the only game in town !! Do I feel for the companies that were initially saving a few bucks by taking the cheaper alterative , absolutely not , you can't over pay premium reliable workers !! Not all are like that but some !! Air miles , don't have them cause I don't have time to use them , would I like to travel , absolutely , but its not in the cards , WHY , well I won't go into detail but I'm going basically 365 , BUT hey when your jet setting around the globe why don't you stop somewhere like Syria or Yemen for example and try and change things to suit yourself !! You know, try and ram something down their throats and see how far it gets you , demand something like a specific place to pray every few hours during the day !! Cause from what I understand if you don't do it here its called discrimination !! See how that works for ya !! Its funny how they are supposedly so hard off , yet everyone of them I see lately are driving brand new vehicles , and not the cheap ones , most are expensive SUV's !! I have yet to see any driving a 2000 Dodge like dookiller or an 05 Chev with 265000km like mine !! Is that possibly why some foreign countries are in such turmoil , those that left took all the money with them ?? Just askin !! Civil unrest , give it time , the First Nations are demanding more and more all the time , something has to give , Trudope babbled about the the disrepair on the reserves , 1st thing OK , 2nd thing WHY , everything for them is paid for , look after your own back yard 1st , don't be letting in thousands more that are going to need some sort of assistance !! Churchill's rail line is gone , and what did boy wunder do about it , babble his babble and didn't commit a dam thing from the last I heard !! Guys on here have stated that the 1st Nations need help, true ,but , same ol'story - "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day , teach him how to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime " !! Not picking on them but we've been giving them fish forever !! They talk about their inherent right to hunt , trap and fish , WELL leave your cell phones and laptops and new pickups here and move back to the bush and exercise your inherent rights !! Whose stopping you ?? But the Feds have no balls so this will be a never ending issue , OKA proved that , the 1st Nations called the Feds bluff and won !! I could go on but its time to get back to work !! Sorry for going off topic !! Have a great day !!

Beerwiser and Abfarms like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page