Anyone build their own house (Alberta) - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2342 Post(s)
Ya it works good to be the contractor. Pick your own crews and do all those crap jobs no one wants to do but make a big difference. Go for the foam basement - but get a crew to do that experienced and certified. Also cover the exterior 2x6 walls in foam 2" minimum. Get the window thickness 2x6 plus 2" foam.

Best is 2x4 wall, then vapour barrier, then 6 inches hard foam on the exterior. Crib out windows. All electrical etc is inside the vapour barrier, use Roxal insulation, spray foam everything that isn't 16" like corners, etc. Do the whole rim joist in basement with spray foam. You won't even need AC, and not much of a furnace. Be sure to put in an air to air exchanger.

In AB, all you need is engineered roof trusses and floor trusses to be fully inspected and passed for building. County will do land permit, inspectors will provide building permit and an outline of inspection schedules at what stage.

Get the floor truss, not those plywood things, with boxes built in for duct mains and no drilling. Everything can be above so you have a clean ceiling in the basement.

Our insurance company did a full inspection of the house, looked for all certifications and permits. We had a few deficiencies like panel not on breaker box, handrail, no fire extinguisher and they gave us 6 months to finish them or they would cancel insurance. Our agent said if that happens, no other company will pick you up without a full reinspection of completed everything - something that is quite new, but they are getting pretty sticky.

Absolutely be the main contractor - its a great job.

mustard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
jvw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
We did our own ICF forms and it is not that difficult. They give you about a r 25 when you are done. If you get any snow or ice inside the forms before you pour it is not good. The heated cement will not melt it out whcih will result in voids. If you are doing it in winter you want to do it quickly because it is hard to keep the ice and stuff out of it. Once you get ice on the bottom on top of the footing it is very hard to melt and dry it out.
Did you do your own pours as well?

So what is the realistic cost of the ICF? Not finding anything specific, just comparisons. Is the costly part the concrete, or are the forms really that expensive? The reason we are looking at this is that my wife grew up in Russia where virtually everything is built out of bricks and concrete, with brick fences topped with razor wire plus an armed guard at the gate. So compared to that, a wood frame house just doesn't seem secure. Bricks not being a viable option, so this was a compromise. I just can't see the payback on energy bills ever being worth the investment. But there is a saying about happy wife, she's been tolerating living in a "manufactured home" for over 12 years without anyone breaking through a wall in all this time( if they really wanted to they could come in the unlocked doors and save a lot of trouble) and divorces are expensive too.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #23 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
jvw

Being prime contractor, do you end up taking on any liabilities for the crews on site? Assuming they are all their own sub contractors with their own WCB, there shouldn't be any issues that could fall back on the prime is there?

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
If your farm is incorporated, look into the corp building it. Helps a lot.

Brent.
post #25 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
JVW for the electrical just call the inspector and ask him. In SK you can take out a home owners permit but it is 5-6x the cost compared with a electrician doing it. We had a electrician pull the permit. We bought all the wire, did all the trenching, and buring of wire to the house. My electrician just hooked up the wires on either end and he said we can do as much of the wiring as we wanted. We ended up doing 95% ourselves. Texcan is the cheapest place to buy heavy cable or wire that is 12 guage or heavier. Our 450 and 350 cable was a $1000 cheaper delivered than picking it up at Ecol. We framed our house with double 2x4 walls that are spaced 5 inches apart. We have a completel thermal break between the outside and inside with a r value close to 50 in the walls. We put r60 cellulose in the attic. For 2500 square feet of house all that insulation cost around $7000. It cost an additional $3000 to put 2 inches or r11 inthe basement floor. Foam is crazy expensive. The confort levels of the high insulation is incredible because heat is not leaving the building at a high rate. We have been heating it with a masonary fireplace burnt often just once a day sometimes twice if it is minus 30 till we get our furnace and boiler in. It is a very cheap way to insulate it and a great investment that will pay you every year with less utilities. We are hoping to finish our house this summer which will be 6 years after we dug the hole. It is a big job and have spent over 6000 hours of our own time doing it. Besides doing the work of construction it takes a lot'of time to plan and purchase materials at a discount. The cost saving is half when doing it your self and the quality is probably double. Feel free to call me JVW if you still have my number.
My wife and I are in the process of starting to build a house this spring on the farm, with most being hired out with a local house building company. I will be doing all the dirt work with my own trackhoe and other equipment.
Although I totally agree that doing things yourself will definately save money, if I took 6 years to build this house I can guarantee that I would be living in it by myself. We are digging the hole in April and will be living in it before Christmas.
post #26 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
A product called quick therm seems like a good idea on outside of a stick frame house/building to seal it up. 2” thick, locks together, can silicone the joints that tape them. I think that’s kind of what Brian Tee was talking about. I might be building a large garage and like that idea.

Brent.
post #27 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvw View Post
Did you do your own pours as well?

So what is the realistic cost of the ICF? Not finding anything specific, just comparisons. Is the costly part the concrete, or are the forms really that expensive? The reason we are looking at this is that my wife grew up in Russia where virtually everything is built out of bricks and concrete, with brick fences topped with razor wire plus an armed guard at the gate. So compared to that, a wood frame house just doesn't seem secure. Bricks not being a viable option, so this was a compromise. I just can't see the payback on energy bills ever being worth the investment. But there is a saying about happy wife, she's been tolerating living in a "manufactured home" for over 12 years without anyone breaking through a wall in all this time( if they really wanted to they could come in the unlocked doors and save a lot of trouble) and divorces are expensive too.
I've run some rough numbers on the measurements of my current basement design. My basement measures 36x68 in rough footprint. I did a rough price with Nudura blocks, and it looks like the numbers come out as: 169 8 ft straights, 135 90s, and about 20 45 blocks. Comes out to roughly $8800.00 in forms. The calculator calls for about 69 yards of concrete to fill that which is close to $12000.00 around me. I'm sure i'm missing something in my calculations. Biggest one is that I haven't taken the cost of a pump truck into account yet.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay.
post #28 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
jvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post
If your farm is incorporated, look into the corp building it. Helps a lot.
We looked into that, have discussed it with the accountant, it would require taking personal income out forever to pay the corp rent on the house. After paying personal rates on it first. I think we have a plan to use funds that were never in the corp, and no tax payable

post #29 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 PM
NVW

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
My Mom had a cousin who took 10 yrs to build his house, he also had 10 kids. I remember going to visit and they lived in the basement. Must have been fun, his wife was a bit of a Battle Axe.

Leo
post #30 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
jvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVW View Post
My Mom had a cousin who took 10 yrs to build his house, he also had 10 kids. I remember going to visit and they lived in the basement. Must have been fun, his wife was a bit of a Battle Axe.
Living out here in redneck country, I kind of like the look of weathered OSB on a house, just need a few vehicles on blocks to park in front and it will fit right into the neighborhood. I think if it took 10 years, I would also be looking for a new wife, so that may not be an option in this case.

NVW likes this.

Last edited by jvw; 02-16-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page