Scrap steel - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
We took a couple of loads in 2 weeks ago and got $220/ton for an old truck and misc small scrap and fence wire from our scrap bin.......no sorting. The money adds up real quick.....well worth our time. We are located close to the steel mill in Selkirk Mb so that helps out our prices. If you have a trailer and are close to Edmonton I'm sure that 100 to 150 tons will be quite profitable!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:50 AM
jvw

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
I've got a mountain of scrap and have been waiting for the market to recover before cleaning it up. Had a few scrap dealers contact me lately, and somehow the $140/ton turns into $30 by the time they do the work, so it likely is worthwhile doing it yourself.

1972RedNeck likes this.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Did the price recently increase or has it been better for a while?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
I think the price has been trending up for awhile but usually by summer the price will go down.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Barn
I've been holding out for a better price after the last spike 5 or so years ago. Starting to get a pretty good pile but I'm hoping the tariffs will help speed the upward trend and maybe dump it all next winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Just a word of warning

A few years ago we had a scrap buyer stop in asking if we had any precious metals we wanted to sell. I showed him our scrap aluminum bin, he made an offer, I said no thanks I think it is worth more than that.

A couple of days later when I went by the bin it was empty!!!

So now I take photo's of the drivers licence and the vehicle plates of any scrap guy looking around our yard. If they don't want to provide ID I ask them to leave and I call the RCMP with vehicle description and plate number.
tbone95 likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHMARK View Post
Just a word of warning

A few years ago we had a scrap buyer stop in asking if we had any precious metals we wanted to sell. I showed him our scrap aluminum bin, he made an offer, I said no thanks I think it is worth more than that.

A couple of days later when I went by the bin it was empty!!!

So now I take photo's of the drivers licence and the vehicle plates of any scrap guy looking around our yard. If they don't want to provide ID I ask them to leave and I call the RCMP with vehicle description and plate number.
Good advice there. Not surprising. You encounter crooks in a lot of places, but 2 guarantees are traveling scrap guys and traveling barn painters.

Several years ago Dad agreed to have a scrap guy clean stuff up. The guy was supposed to "take it all" so it was cleaned up. All he did was pick through the pile and took the good stuff, screwing us on price that way. Grr....
Highmarker and Strungup52 like this.

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page