Scrap steel - The Combine Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Scrap steel

Is it worth it to haul in yourself, or just get a guy in to haul it for free?

Obviously they do it for profit, but we have quite the pile amassed. I'd say about 100-150 ton.
And it's everything from rolled over equipment to vehicle frames to barbed wire to worn out shovels.
General farm scrap.
What do you guys do? I don't really have a decent way to haul it, as it's all kinds of shapes and sizes, only thing I have is a massive 55ton tridem lowboy.. not the best to haul scrap.

It's an eye sore already
Advice.. ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Get someone in to haul it away. They will pay you a bit but you don't get your hands dirty. We cleaned up our yard last year, got a guy to bring out a box he dumped in our yard. He had a hoe with a magnet if we wanted but our stuff was scattered all over the place for 40 years. We loaded up his box, was a 20 yard one I believe, he came out and picked it up and paid us cash. Wasn't a lot but now the yard is clean. Trying to haul scrap if you're not equipped is a terrible job.

Geeze likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Your close enough to a city a scrap dealer will probilty do it for free. There was a mobile outfit that came to our neck of the wood a few years ago, were paying 10 bucks a ton. Cleaned up a **** load of old farm steads....then pulled the pin or went broke

Week Men Create Hard Times
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
10 bucks a ton? That sounds insane, about 5 years ago it in Manitoba you could get $140. I thought it was around 70-80 now.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:27 PM

Location: North of west palm beach FL and where you all want to visit
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Haul it yourself in the off season that is what I do and make decent money doing so especially if you are looking for something for employees to do
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hildebrand View Post
10 bucks a ton? That sounds insane, about 5 years ago it in Manitoba you could get $140. I thought it was around 70-80 now.

Maybe it was 20, but they were hauling it 2 hours away for recycling. Most guys were happy just to get there junk hauled away

They chopped it up before they hauled it away.

Week Men Create Hard Times

Last edited by meritmat; 04-04-2018 at 11:56 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
I love my scrap and misc stuff lol around here its measured by the acre. Most is in pastures and sitting so the cows can keep the grass down around it. Get people here at times who once they see whats behind the trees are awestruck and I've had guys spend a couple hours or more walking thru it just to see what all was there.
I keep the crap separate, have a large scrap bin of my own and when its full, suck it up on a float or the lowboy, load up any big stuff like vehicle carcasses and take it to town. Last I took in was over $100/ton, but has to be somewhat separated and there are other rules such as cable needs to be cut to length, gas tanks need to be removed from vehicles and all fluids drained and so on. Cast, copper, aluminum are much more, you want them separate. Last I took in, batteries were around $14 each. I aways go to Maple Leaf on the south side of Edmonton.

https://iscrapapp.com/yards/ca-alber...metal/pricing/

Hihi, there are guys out there who will pay you and clean it up for you. Be careful, many are crooks and will **** you if given half a chance.
I do know a couple of brothers who do yard clean ups and such that are all good in my books and have done work for several people and and a very reputable auctioneer I know. I check out their yard often and I'm one of their best customers for buying usable iron they end up with. They are located north west of Wasatenau. If you want, say so on here and I will PM you their name and number.
Highmarker, 8700 and TSIPP like this.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
A few years ago a big windstorm blew a few flat bottom bins around, by the time I took them apart and loaded them on the trailer to haul them in the pay wasn't worth the work.

That being said something that actually weighs something and has wheels loading on a trailer wouldn't be so bad but I really think having someone coming to load it and paying you a fair price for everything is well worth it for the time and frustration you would save yourself.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Scrap price for average stuff is closer to $200 ton now, in Winnipeg.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Hauled out a load of prepared about 2 weeks ago and 175$ a ton.

If ya got stuff 3'x3'x18" (prepared) start with hauling that cause that's worth a few bucks, have someone chop stuff up with a cutting torch and see how it goes.

Can be a pretty profitable gig if ya wanna take the time to do it.

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page