Substitute For DEF ? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
tmk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Substitute For DEF ?

This past week I was talking to a trucker , he shared a story about another driver that got in a bind . Apparently early this winter this guy hauled some equipment into the bush a fair distace from town . He was pretty much out of DEF and made the mistake of shutting his truck off at the end of his day . With the DEF tank empty he could not start his truck .The next day so he figured what the heck, tossed a couple of gallons of hot water into the DEF tank and got into town . Everything ran well and by the time he got into town he figured that he should add winter windshield washer fluid in the tank as it doesn't freeze and has been running with it with no issues this winter . Has anyone else heard of someone else doing this ? Any type of fluid in the DEF tank will raise the level sensor thus enabling the engine to run .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
There is No replacemeant for DEF, bet it set some codes, whats the big deal, carry a couple juggs, you don't use that much DEF, poor judgement on his part, Scott.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
tmk

Well another trucker who picked up some seed last week told me that his DEF bill was averaging $ 400 per month . It was - 38 celcius the other night ,how long would it take to thaw out the DEF tank on a heavy truck in those temps ? I know there is no equal replacement that will react with the exhaust gases like DEF the point I am trying to make is that there maybe are options if you are in a bind or running in severe weather conditions .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are sensors in the tank to tell if its clear water... I don't know if the windshield wash can fool them or not.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:54 AM

I'm sure sometime soon someone will come up with a delete for urea just like the dpf
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
NO, engine will not be derated, until engine warms up, uses engine coolant to warm tank up, Scott.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 12:17 PM

It will void the warranty if anything besides def is used. A guy that was very knowledgeable on the subject was trying to explain it to me, but i forgot most of what he said. But, i do remember water will not work for long.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 AM

There must be NOx sensors before and after SCR catalysator, and if NOx will not go down in catalysator, it will give code and derate power. And if You using wrong liguide, You might destroy catalysator, and it will cost a lot.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:46 AM

I talked to a duramax owner that couldn't find DEF, so filled with H20, to get around derating. Worked fine so that is all he used during the summer.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:44 PM

DEF is urea or otherwise known as aqueous ammonia. Windshield washer fluid that contains ammonia will do in a pinch. It contains less AA than needed but will get you to a town where you can get DEF.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page