17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little guy View Post
And yes, it's far far from perfect on colonys, we're just people too
That is the most important point. I've dealt with LOTS of Hutterites over the years. Some were the best people you could ever meet and some were crooked as a dogs hind leg. Good example of "we're just people too" would be about 30 years ago, I was managing a small AWP elevator in southern Alberta and this young guy, that was hauling grain, and I would strike up a conversation each load. I asked him one day how long he was married. He said " he had been married 4 years". I said any kids and he said "yes, three". We chatted about all sorts of things each time he brought in a load and a few days later he brought a little girl with him. I asked "is this one of your children?, he said "yes, this is my oldest". I said how old is she?, he said "she's five". I stood there for a bit and he could see a puzzled look on my face and I finally said "didn't you say you have been married for four years?" and with a smirk on his face he said "yes........we have accidents too". I said "REALLY??????". He laughed and said, "why does that surprise you?". I said "I dunno...I just thought with all the layers of clothes the girls wear, by the time you got though all of it you would forget what you we looking for". He laughed and said "it happens".

marshall likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
I have a serious questions for one or any of the men that live and work on Hutterite colonies that are on here. Not many colonies in my area so i am never around them much.

What age do the children go to school till ?
How is it decided what area of work they go into ?
I assume elders watch what they are good at and direct them that way ?
Is there a set age when men and women retire ?
When someone wants to leave, is it that frowned upon that they literally have to run away ?

I ask these questions for my own curiosity and that is all.

Brent.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post
I have a serious questions for one or any of the men that live and work on Hutterite colonies that are on here. Not many colonies in my area so i am never around them much.

When someone wants to leave, is it that frowned upon that they literally have to run away ?

Well Im not a hutterite but I know a lot about them. Hutterites are free to correct me but I know I'm not wrong.

Age- Grade 8, some colonies at grade 9. Every single one of the kids that have worked for me were made to drop out after Grade 8.

Not really too sure.

I dont think there is a 'retirement' but as they get older obviously less work. I know many farm bosses that are in their 70's though (obviously like us many don't like to give up their power)

Absolutely have to run away and 100% frowned upon with zero support. We typically just pick them up at night at the colony when they tell us they're ready to leave and then get them set up with housing and clothing. They leave with the clothes on their backs. No question about that. If you have a child off colony you are not allowed back, period. The older brother of one of the guys who worked for me for 4 years had a child (he wasn't going back anyway) but the colony gets upset when he brings the child by the colony to visit his grandparents. Also, If you get a tattoo it needs to be removed before rejoining (got a few that have gotten tattoos just to make it harder to rejoin if they ever have second thoughts ha).

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I don’t think your entirely correct Kaupp farms I assume you have more to do with the lehrerleut sect? I know some Dariusleut are pretty modern and liberal with the way they run things they can go to school through grade 12 if they choose to the get to play rec hockey in town, I do know a guy that went back recently and he still has his tattoo.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Have had a few work for us and have dealt with many over the years. There is a big difference between the Manitoba ones and the Alberta/Sask colony’s. The MB colony’s seem to recognize that there people need a life and allow holidays and other activities. It is also way more common for the MB kids to have grade 12. When it comes right down to it there’s good colony’s and then there’s not so good.

The young people off the colony’s really do need a support system to get started. The young guys have no idea how to cook or do laundry. Then there’s the whole skill of what to do with money that there earning in larger amounts then they have ever dealt with before.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttorunthebest View Post
I donít think your entirely correct Kaupp farms I assume you have more to do with the lehrerleut sect? I know some Dariusleut are pretty modern and liberal with the way they run things they can go to school through grade 12 if they choose to the get to play rec hockey in town, I do know a guy that went back recently and he still has his tattoo.
Yes, Lehrerleut, I should have clarified as there is a difference. I have some darius around and they are more open but haven't had any work for me.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:34 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4673 Post(s)
Anyone ever seen Paul Wipf speak on Hutterite history?
https://www.country-guide.ca/2015/04...venture/46427/
Really enlightening, not sure he does presentations anymore.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
What age do the children go to school till ? Here in Manitoba, I'd say 85 to 90 percent go gr 12.
That's kinda how it go's, but starting around 15 years old you are supposed to work at various trades till ur 23ish, then it's noticed where you excel and you'll be placed there for longer period of time. Stuff often comes up where people get moved around on different jobs depending on the need for labor... Or you get promoted when someone retires., or someone leaves and his place needs to be filled... Manufacturing need the most. I've worked with hogs a little bit, hated it , dairy for 3 years , ran feed mill 3 years, made furniture several years, was promoted to head carpenter in 2015. Somehow got sucked into looking after ventilation and geothermal heating On last project, and I love harvesting, and hot rodding combines. Lots of variety to keep life interesting. Played hockey since I was a kid, love to trap and hunt coyotes.
Women may retire at 45 if they want to, men, whenever they feel they aren't keeping up to their job due to old age or if they really need a change of scenery.
This is a harder question to awnser. Frowned upon isn't quite the right word. Disappointed better describes it. We took care of him up till now, and he just takes off? And spends 5 years living his dream and comes back expecting to marry next year, receive housing and all needs taken care of.... Which he shoulda earned here himself, but we'll take them back anyway.. Cause they are ours...
The reason they literally run away in middle of night; it's easier than trying to explain to ur parents why u slapped them in the face. A good bye note is easier

My helper left last fall after working with me since he was a fat little 12 year old lad. I thought if he does more then sweep floors someday he'll do well,.. 7 years later, he is incredibly talented kid, my friend, partner in crime, grain cart driver, mechanic, swather driver, ran challenger for 3 seasons, construction helper, u name it he could do it .. Who ever he is working for now better appreciate him. But he told me he'll be back someday and I believe him
stockton, bjtjjl, ZEEMAN and 4 others like this.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post

hutterites.org/day-to-day/education/grade-school

hutterites.org/day-to-day/education/secondary-education
bjtjjl likes this.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I know this topic is about hutterites leaving their colonies...

Do colonies allow people to join their colony ever that are not hutterian? For example, a Hutterite woman wants to marry a man outside the colony and have him join her and her family???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page