Whole house RO water systems - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Whole house RO water systems

So we need to do something better for water conditioning on the farm.

Currently using a iron filter and a water softener and have never been real impressed.

Hard water with iron as well.

Any experience or reviews of the new systems would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Our municipal, has put in a reverse osmosis, system. the pipeline(put in 20 years ago) runs to over half the area. At started the water was not treated or cleaned. The needed to upgrade, the treater in town, with new laws, they had to treat all the water. The farms with feedlots were worried, because they were having too pay for treated water.

I'm not sure if you know how the reverse osmosis works? there is a fine filter, very small holes that only let water molecule through. After a set amount of water has been filtered, You reverse the water flow to flush out filter(that water is not used)

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Can't have copper pipes must be all pex.The systems are real good if you can get one big enough, water is very pure. also removes any treatment so no use storing it in bottles it will actually go stale quite fast.

Last edited by Combine Pilot; 11-14-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
CRAP. Copper pipes here. I've heard RO water will try to pull molecules back so I take it actually "corrodes" the copper?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Put in the basement, and run pex to cold water taps in kitchen and bathroom sinks
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Towns that install have leaks everywhere...not properly informed

Finally harvest near...3 weeks late, still COLD, WET(
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
We have pretty hard water lots of iron turns everything red so we when we built our new house my brother inlaw who works for Anderson Pump House in North Battleford designed us a system and it works awesome. We pump the water from the well into a cistern(well is a long ways from house and have 500 cows drinking from well also so we wanted good water pressure in the house) only at night(valve opens on a timer float in the cistern to stop over filling) the water oxidizes in the cistern then goes through a cartridge type filter and then the softener. Our water is perfect now glasses are crystal clear, white clothes stay white. We have a small RO system just for drinking. Cartridge filters last 2-3 months. Its a pretty simple system and has worked good for 7 years.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We have RO system installed and maintained by Culligan. (Company in ND, USA) We have copper pipe feeding the system with small diameter plastic to a separate faucet on kitchen sink as well as refrigerator water and ice maker. RO uses a lot more water than what is purified. Our system produces 5 gallons of waste water for every gallon of drinking water it produces. We can live with this as it is only used for drinking water and ice.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
If you have copper pipes I am pretty sure you can add a ph adjuster to your RO water and things will be ok. If you are not limited on supply I think RO is the way to go. Cost has come down considerably from ten years ago.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman View Post
If you have copper pipes I am pretty sure you can add a ph adjuster to your RO water and things will be ok. If you are not limited on supply I think RO is the way to go. Cost has come down considerably from ten years ago.
You are exactly right. My well water is so hard you can hit it with a hammer. Anderson pump house put in a full house ro 4 years ago. Big up front cost but fairly cheap to run after that. I am still on my first pail of antiscaleant and use a couple bags of soda ash a year to bring the ph of the water up to neutral. Just changed the membrane for the first time a couple weeks ago. Best part about it is every sink, toilet and appliance look like new yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page