Do you like your 2015 and newer Ford f series - Page 17 - The Combine Forum
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 171 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
From what I have heard directly from someone shopping at Chrysler for a vehicle, more then one dealership up here isn't pushing the air bag system on the pickups, they say there have been a lot of problems with that system and a certain amount of that is moisture related but as well just plain winter. It may work fine far south of here but they don't seem to have perfected it for this climate. I just don't know every problem type that they are having with the bags on the pickups but they haven't created anything like the reliability of the highway tractor air suspension, why that is I don't know.

Stevie, I am curious if your temps are warmer and have a lot of dry bare pavement during the winter as that isn't typically what we have out west, well certainly not up where I am and where Don is, that is a very bad corridor in there for freezing rain weather. Even if the pavement is dry, if its cold its been proven that true winter tires will grip better then a non winter tire on cold pavement as the rubber starts to turn to glass. Tires that barely meet the so called snow flake designation, I haven't been too impressed at all with more then one brand of them on a pickup for ice at all, no comparison to a real winter tire. Every tire store around here is totally swamped come winter, the amount of people that get tires swapped over on the same rims is massive and then there are those that have sprung for the two sets of rims/tire sensors as well but still end up at the tire shop to do the quick swap. Spring isn't as bad at the tire shops but come winter we get hit with the first snow and everyone's slipping around like bumper cars or getting stuck in the residential area's in town if we have a brutal winter as many don't plan ahead and must be thinking maybe this winter we won't get winter ... but we always do !.

Last edited by Northern Farmer; 12-28-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 171 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Winter tires are better on ice but I've never been impressed with them in snow. Not enough lug to get through compared to the duratracs I run on my truck. We generally don't get a lot of ice around here just snow and cold. Options for winter 10 ply tires are fairly limited last I checked.

post #163 of 171 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
I run the duratrack tires on my 3/4 ton and the wifes yukon... were very happy with them, grip good in the winter, have the "snow flake" on them and handle the gravel pretty well.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 171 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Winter tires are not safe at 80 mph on hot pavement. ie heading south in winter time
Winter tires are not safe with .125 of tread
5 year old winter tires have hardened up
Above 40 degrees winter tires are loosing their grip.

You have to retorque twice a year if changing rims.

Not many winter tires like gravel

So if below 40 degrees and it doesn't snow get an ice tire
If it snows then you have to compromise your ice tire to get snow traction.
post #165 of 171 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Since my duratracs left with my last truck and I was too cheap to swap out the stock tires on my new one this time when I bought it I figured I'd buy rims and winter tires 6 months later and that cost even more... Haha

If people want to lie to themselves and say a duratrac is as good as a true winter tire to make themselves feel better, more power to them but they are only kidding themselves. Now that's my opinion for on how the roads get here in bald-flat-Manitoba. We don't get 3 feet of snow on the roads, we get wind-blown packed snow or glare ice. My duratracs were fine on the odd occasion where we'd be in knee-deep snow but those situations were pretty rare.

Points being made above against winter tires are pretty stupid if you ask me.

If you're driving 80 mph on hot pavement because you headed south for winter, put your all-seasons on before you leave. Chances are if you're on this site you're a farmer, if it's too difficult for you to jack up your vehicle and swap tires, I question your farming abilities. We even swap our sprayer tires at least twice a year around here, that's a far bigger pain in the butt than a pickup truck or car.

Why is a winter tire any less safe with .125 of tread as opposed to all seasons? Never heard that before.

All tires "harden up" after 5 years.

If it's consistently above 40 degrees, put your all-season tires back on since if it's consistently above 40 degrees the roads won't be icy.

Retorquing 20 lug nuts takes 5 minutes tops, what's the big deal there?

Most tires don't like gravel.
post #166 of 171 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 755 Post(s)
And lots of people who put winter tires on their 4x4 think they can drive 80mph on ice.....

Winter tires don’t make the vehicle safer common sense does which seems to be lacking these days
post #167 of 171 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
And lots of people who put winter tires on their 4x4 think they can drive 80mph on ice.....

Winter tires donít make the vehicle safer common sense does which seems to be lacking these days
Actually they do, why would we use them otherwise ! 😁. But I understand what you are saying. Winter tires donít mean ďcarry on as usual ď
meskie and jcalder like this.

Brent.
post #168 of 171 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:35 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4579 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
Winter tires don’t make the vehicle safer common sense does which seems to be lacking these days
Farmers understand vehicle weight distribution (remember putting weight in the back for winter in the 2WD days?) and traction better than joe public, too many think the greatly increased acceleration available also translates to braking where 4WD has no effect. Didn’t have antilock brakes either back then, on pickups the rear wheels locking up far sooner than front.
Ah, the good old yucky days!
post #169 of 171 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
I wasnt stating duratracks are a spectacular winter tire. They are a great all season tire that work well for us. In fact I do find it curious that they have the "snowflake" classification.... must get it more from the tread design than how soft the rubber is.
ABS and all wheel drive have made it MUCH easier for Joe public to drive over confidently in the winter.. that's for sure.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #170 of 171 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:02 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4579 Post(s)
Received yet another recall notice on that block heater issue Ford is struggling with. Thought I share a portion of the phone conversation I had with a service rep.
We cut it so it canít be plugged in.
Really?!
Yes, unless there is no chance you will plug it in.
When do you expect the proper parts?
Theyíve told us September.
Ok, I certainly hope I donít have to plug my truck in by September!
Iíll just wait.

I havenít plugged a vehicle in for at least ten years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page