Bench farming, for fun or for real - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookiller View Post
Solve storage with a bagger. Buy a used continuos batch dryer. Why everyone doesn't own one is beyond me. Harvest can be done more or less on your terms then rather than mother natures. $100/acre for a drill seems too much. I have a 54' 5710 with a 4350 leading and NH3 coulters I paid $50k for. 1600 acres would be a breeze. I farm 2500 acres and my $20/acre drill works mint. Spend $45k on a sprayer. An 854 gator or Spray coupe will do those acres like nothing. No matter what you spend there will be maintenance costs. Openers/hose/packers on a expensive drill, wear just as fast on a cheap one. Buy one that has nominal wear and your good. You need a good truck and trailer to haul to market or home. 30,000 will buy you a good truck with a recent safety and the same for a tandem or tridem trailer. $25k on a grain cart can be found to feed your grain bagger and take from your combine. When grain is tough haul to your wet bin and use cart to empty dry bin and fill your bag with dry grain. Share an extractor with another farmer or 2 to keep cost down. lots of used 10' baggers available last yr at start of the yr but they sure became a high demand thing last fall lol. Piles of tough grain stored still in bags still in the field they were harvested in, due to no dryer. Many just harvested everything first tough, wet, etc and put it in bags and started moving it to the dryer to be dried and put into bin storage after harvest. Combining 1600 acres with a class 7 shouldn't be an issue. You can spend what you like on a combine. Your level of repairing skills will determine what you spend. They all break down so if you are calling a dealer to come fix everything it gets expensive. Simplicity and less moving replacement parts goes a long ways to easing your headache and maintenance costs. What dealer is close by and reputable of carrying parts is huge. Hats off to you if this is something you want do and enjoy the lifestyle more than a fat bank account. Buy what you need not what you want and do so carefully. Not a huge margin for error in farming. I know people who figure a new sprayer is worth it because they can make payments doing custom. They end up working their ass off just to keep the dam thing running and it's hrs rack up and it's a piece of junk by the time its paid for. Keep things in your 1600 acre perspective and you will be fine.
$100/ac buys the drill and sprayer/drill tractor in my scenario, If I went big magnum or genesis it would be the drill/sprayer/baler/harrow/grain cart/backup loader tractor. This is very much a paper exercise for now.

Bagger/extractor is expensive storage for 80000-100000 bu but by far the most flexible, and turns out this year resalable. Like most things, a combination of approaches that leaves the most flexibility is probably best, a row of 5-8000 hoppers for 1/3 of crop tied to a dryer, 1/3 of the crop sold at harvest and up to 1/3 in bags.... Saw some guys with dryers bag it tough, dry it then bag it dry again, lots of work and money in a falling market this year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
I personally would look for a $15-20,000 versatile 875 to pull your drill. If you get a 1978 or possibly 1979 with one hydraulic pump you can add a second pump for the drill. These tractors are excellent and you could run a pull type sprayer with it using a hydraulic driven sprayer pump.

njungers, TLCC, kevlar and 1 others like this.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
There is nothing wrong starting the way you are planning but I would not do it unlesss you like to do mechanical work and fixing. We do all our own mechanical work and that is what has helped us get ahead. We have modified a lot of our equiptment or fabricated stuff to meet our needs. It makes for long days when your starting out but is the only way to get ahead when your starting from nothing. When you start paying $150 or more per hour to get stuff fixed your money will disappear fast when you are trying to get your feet under you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
I think you could trim a fair bit off your seeding rig. For starting out, keep your prices low and the tec simple. The same for the combine. Maybe the money saved there would be better spent on grain storage. Just starting out, putting all your money into newer/more expensive equipment will eat up all your money, just because it's newer doesn't mean it will be cheaper to run, just more comfortable. With lower tec equipment, it's a lot easier to fix yourself or find out with help from others how to fix it (the people on this forum alone could save you thousands $$$$$, it has for me) but when you are paying someone with a computer 150+$$ an hour to diagnose your problem, all your profits disappear pretty fast. Farming is just as much about saving money as it is about making it.
RunninREDharD likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
I canít imagine any scenario where your net ahead actually farming it vs collecting rent and other employment.
Unless he's a good farmer with some favorable weather and good marketing skills. I can see a scenario where he pays for all that equipment in one year with his net profits.

You don't need space age tech to grow good crops. Money spent on inputs is more important than iron.
dumbfarmer and radar like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:09 PM
mk

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Iron is what sinks farms so if you can do the job for under 400,000 the better you'll be.

You can get a airdrill that will do 1600 acres per year for a good 10 years for MUCH cheaper than 150k. You should look to pay anywhere from 35k to 85k. As other have said you don't need latest and greatest to grow good crops.
As Dookiller said buy a used continuous dryer even if you don't use it right away you will use it eventually.

For more storage if you have a shed with a concrete floor you could use it for surge storage. Bagging grain is the most expensive option for storage try to avoid it if possible. You have the right idea about using 1 tractor for just about everything but have a backup machine.

No one knows your operation better than you so don't take what you read on this forum as gospel. That being said there's a TON of really good info on this forum going back years! Pick and choose good idea's and see what works for you.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
2 important factors
-How mechanically minded/able are you? Like others have mentioned this is key in keeping maintenance costs down and allows you to spend less with older machinery. But 1 other thing to add is how are you set-up now? Do you have a shop or access to one? Any cold storage sheds? Doing all the work on your machines without a shop or even a shed isn't super practical and a decent shop would eat up most of your budget. How about tools? If you don't already have a decently stocked tool chest it isn't hard dropping $10-20,000 to set yourself up by the time you add air tools/compressor/jacks/etc even with shopping sales/deals and getting stuff second hand.
-How much labor do you have? Are you a 1 man show or do you have siblings/children/nephews/uncles to help run machinery? If you have access to spring/fall help you can get 2 or 3 older machines at auction for much less than used 1 mid sized machine. You could have 2 TR97/98s or 2188s with 25ft drapers for under $70,000, add a 600-800bu grain cart for $10-15,000 and $25-35,000 for a semi with a $20,000 trailer and you've got plenty of harvest capacity as long as you have the help to keep everything running.
As for everything else we've bought most of our equipment at auction or privately on Kijiji, keep an eye out for deals and shop smart (know what you want/need and don't hesitate to say no if something looks off). You can pick up a suspended boom sprayer for around $10,000 or a self-propelled for $30-40,000, we've seen several 40ft air drills go for $15-30,000 at auctions the last 2 years with lots of life left, an older 300hp Versy or Case Steiger can be had for under $50,000, find an old Deere 4440-4650 for auger/rolling/baling/etc. Also listen to the guys saying invest in grain storage, getting caught 1 bad/late fall could easily sink you. We've had good look buying old 19ft Westeels for cheap off of the guys putting up the big 30,000+bu bins. Lots of bigger guys would love to clean up their old tight bin yards.

"Though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vine. Though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren. Though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns lie empty. Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in the God of my salvation." Habakkuk 3:17-18
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCC View Post
Standard crop rotation is Spring Wheat, Canola alternation. Obviously lots of local guys looking for the third and fourth crop to make a rotation but 75% of local acres just alternate.

None of the 1600 are forage at the moment, I'm looking at that as an other crop in the rotation. The package includes pasture for 200 pairs and they would provide an outlet for some of this production.

Absolutely No Till, with a little swath/residue grazing will likely need heavy harrows but no cultivation.

Grain has 7 options within 40 miles, 14 options within 70 miles.
Think you could cut a fair bit of the budget out. 80ís-mid 90ís equipment gives you some good comfort/capacity at a decent price that should cover your ground with ease. Iíd consider hiring someone else or rent equipment to put up forage to get going, as you mentioned employment off the farm and cutting/bailing/stacking takes a lot of time. Would also buy a pull behind sprayer for a bit less indicated.

Curious how it would work to haul that much those distances that far with a job?...limited storage sounds like a huge item to correct or custom haulers.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Unless he's a good farmer with some favorable weather and good marketing skills. I can see a scenario where he pays for all that equipment in one year with his net profits.

You don't need space age tech to grow good crops. Money spent on inputs is more important than iron.
400k net of 1600 acres?? Ya never with grain farming cereals, maybe edibles.

Agree with the high tech more a money pit i found, just confirms what you know already.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmillfarms View Post
400k net of 1600 acres?? Ya never with grain farming cereals, maybe edibles.
By the numbers that's $250/acre net profit, so even at $400/acre expenses that is $650/acre gross. That's 59 bushel canola or 93 bushel wheat which is totally do-able, especially in a Northern climate with long cool days. Need the inputs though, that's where I would spend the money. Money spent on a good harrow can make up for some short-comings of combine choppers and such, field prep is key for a big crop.

Not saying this will happen every year, but the point I was trying to make was that it is indeed very possible.

bjtjjl and gtcustomag like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page