Ag Days 2019 - The Combine Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ag Days 2019

What did everyone think of ag days 2019? I think its a great event, great speakers, same old machinery that's over priced.. I would like to see them charge a little bit of $ to get in maybe thin the crowd out abit??

w-mFarms likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:31 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
They donít charge?!
Red Deer Agritrade, 15$ís.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2818 Post(s)
Had a great time. Actually made it through my list of people to visit which is tough when every 50' you have to stop and talk to an old acquaintance/business contact/neighbor/etc. I actually enjoy that part of the show as much as the paint, lots of good relationships in AG.

The admission is free Don and probably something they need to address. I talked to a lot of people this year and in years past and it is definitely something that exhibitors would like and no serious customer would blink an eye at $10-15 to go to the show. Lots of school kids and seniors just walking around and grabbing pens and whatever they can get their hands on for free, it will only get worse...

Some exhibitors that sell smaller stuff said they had their best show ever, so that is good. Lots coming from SK and ND to the show.

Only 362 days until Ag-Days 2020!
chance2 and w-mFarms like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I do not think that charging an admission will help with thinning the crowds out very much.
The shows that do have an admission still let kids in for a greatly reduced price or sometimes free. I have gone to multiple shows that charge admission and have had exhibitors complain about all the school kids that grab everything they can get their hands on including sales literature just to likely have it go in the garbage when they get home. The second thing is most of the other shows will make you stand outside in the cold if you happen to show up a few minutes early, before they will open the doors to start charging admission.
I really like the Brandon Show, just show up, park, and go inside, no hassle.
gleanerman, chance2 and NDF like this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
As a farmer it is definitely one of the harder shows to navigate because of the crowds and frustrating. I know many of the exhibitors (especially the service based businesses) would like to see an admission charge so that it's potential customers only. The organizers are looking at it completely differently and do not want to charge because they want to draw in the general public for ag education. They see ag days as one of the ways to educate the consumer and that was even more evident this year with all the "Farm Facts" signs everywhere.

I understand both sides of the argument and don't know what the ideal answer is because that consumer connection is important. After all a lot of the restrictions that are coming to ag are because the consumer has become so disconnected and doesn't understand or believe farmers care about food safety or residue limits. Maybe keeping exhibitor cost the same and charging an admission would thin the crowd out to satisfy the one side and use the extra money then to sponsor a public education day? Is that a fourth day added on that is free? But then the exhibitors aren't happy because extra days are tiring especially for those who have to attend all the shows in January.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2818 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr9060 View Post
As a farmer it is definitely one of the harder shows to navigate because of the crowds and frustrating. I know many of the exhibitors (especially the service based businesses) would like to see an admission charge so that it's potential customers only. The organizers are looking at it completely differently and do not want to charge because they want to draw in the general public for ag education. They see ag days as one of the ways to educate the consumer and that was even more evident this year with all the "Farm Facts" signs everywhere.

I understand both sides of the argument and don't know what the ideal answer is because that consumer connection is important. After all a lot of the restrictions that are coming to ag are because the consumer has become so disconnected and doesn't understand or believe farmers care about food safety or residue limits. Maybe keeping exhibitor cost the same and charging an admission would thin the crowd out to satisfy the one side and use the extra money then to sponsor a public education day? Is that a fourth day added on that is free? But then the exhibitors aren't happy because extra days are tiring especially for those who have to attend all the shows in January.
The exhibitors shouldn't have to sponsor public education, no way! The people that aren't farmers showing up aren't there to learn, just to fill their pockets. I doubt they were reading the farm facts boards and even if they did I saw one that said canola weighed 60#/bushel...

If there is an admission charge exhibitors might hand out tickets to paying customers though. Go early to Ag-Days if you aren't an exhibitor and you will get sent back outside, happened to me!

If they want to educate kids, which I think is a losing battle, they should go to the schools. Taking them to the Keystone center creates a bad image that farmers are a bottomless pit of money. Truth is most farmers will never own most of the stuff in that building the way it's priced.
w-mFarms, kevlar and s6704940 like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 771 Post(s)
The Saskatoon show charges an admission but I can’t remember the last time I paid to go. Always have 4-5 businesses offer free tickets to me.

There are a lot of farmers that just go to the shows for free stuff also when you look at the bags full of stuff they have.

Last edited by meskie; 01-25-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
I think if they charged a small fee, it would definetly thin out the freebee hunters. It's nice to see good crowds, but makes it next to impossible to actually look at things in depth. As far as the bus loads of kids, they mostly just run around sitting in seats and honking horns and taking all they can get. It's different if they are there with their parents, it shouldn't be a scavenger hunt for school kids. One thing I wish they did was have maps up in each room, my god I get lost in that building! There was a few things I didn't get to see because I couldn't find them and I was short on time, with a 5 year old in tow. I wish I had a chance to meet some of the guys from this forum, sounds like many of you were there.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:04 PM

I noticed there were less freebies set out this year. I got stuff when I asked about products, and was genuinely interested in learning. Then stuff came out from behind a table. I imagine it's due to the dozen geriatrics pulling oxygen tanks I got stuck behind. A $10 or $15 fee wouldn't hurt my feelings at all, and then donate a day to Ag in the Classroom for education.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Go early to Ag-Days if you aren't an exhibitor and you will get sent back outside, happened to me!
Maybe they have tightened up security last time I was there 2? years ago I just walked right pass security. Even if they had stopped me I was still inside the building where it was warm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page