Ritchie Bros website - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Found it. Thanks for the help. As has been mentioned it is very clunky to work with. Will have to contact RB.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:43 AM
jvw

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Another change they apparently made while I wasn't paying attention was to the timed auctions.

Used to be the posted closing time was the closing time, now, if someone bids in the last minute(ish), the closing time extends another couple of minutes. And repeat again and again if there is another bid within that time.

Apparently it works well for them and for the sellers, since the items I was bidding on ended up selling quite a bit higher than what they almost closed at. I was the high bidder when the first item closed, but ended up losing after a few rounds of extensions.

But now the item closing times overlap, if you are watching multiple similar items, and have a first, second, third preference, can't plan around the successive closing times. Plus you now have to keep track of multiple items at once, since they could all end up closing at the same time.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9520deere View Post
The site has gone backwards.
It's funny. RARELY does a site "upgrade" seem to actually improve the site. It seem like any time someone changes their site, it goes backwards.
SWMan, kevlar and KpprCrk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvw View Post
Another change they apparently made while I wasn't paying attention was to the timed auctions.

Used to be the posted closing time was the closing time, now, if someone bids in the last minute(ish), the closing time extends another couple of minutes. And repeat again and again if there is another bid within that time.

Apparently it works well for them and for the sellers, since the items I was bidding on ended up selling quite a bit higher than what they almost closed at. I was the high bidder when the first item closed, but ended up losing after a few rounds of extensions.

But now the item closing times overlap, if you are watching multiple similar items, and have a first, second, third preference, can't plan around the successive closing times. Plus you now have to keep track of multiple items at once, since they could all end up closing at the same time.
Itís been that way for a couple years now and itís annoying. Especially when your trying to bid from your phone while your sitting in a truck/tractor.

As a farmer, you learn quick: ďYou donít get anything that you donít work hard forĒ
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Barn
The timed auction idea is that you set your max bid... and let the computer take care of your bidding...
I welcome the time added feature because unless you had a gaming computer with fiber optic internet... you would get left behind.
Also if in the time it took you to click a bid if 3 other people bid a millisecond before you... all of a sudden you just bid a WHOLE lot more than you thought....

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
I understand the concept of computer bidding for you but how does one trust this arrangement. Whats to say someone isn't hired in a back room who knows your max bid and can make sure the most money is achieved. Sounds like a liberal scheme lol.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookiller View Post
I understand the concept of computer bidding for you but how does one trust this arrangement. Whats to say someone isn't hired in a back room who knows your max bid and can make sure the most money is achieved. Sounds like a liberal scheme lol.
Tinfoil sticks are on the rise this morning
Duchek likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:01 AM
jvw

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Still better than bid spotter. I put in a maximum bid on something, thinking that they would bid up to that on my behalf. Nope, they started the bidding at that price(and finished at that price too, I was the only bid). So, like dookiller says, it can and does happen. I'd rather make the real time decision, than put in a max and then ignore it. Even though I already have a max in my head before I started.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
We just drink the Kool aid lol. Everything is being done for our best interests always lol. I do like the bid history feature and Ritchie Bros is king in the auction world IMO. Convenience of online bidding is nice for some who can't be bothered going to the sale. I know of many guys who drink coffee at home and just buy anything if the price is right sight unseen. Pictures say lots and they take lots of them. They have led the way in auctioneering.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
It's funny. RARELY does a site "upgrade" seem to actually improve the site. It seem like any time someone changes their site, it goes backwards.

God, isn't that the truth! Kind of like my banks idea to upgrade it's online banking. What a screw up that was! Nothing was working right, all the people we had entered as payees and other bills we paid online were lost, the layout is completely messed up and confusing, and not to mention, it was all done about the middle/late December! Really nice for trying to get things done up before year end! A lot of people were pi$$ed right off at them for this, myself included. You could barely get through on the phone lines because they were bombarded with calls from people trying to get things working. Must have been horrendous for businesses that do all their stuff on-line. Even the staff was frustrated because of all of it. I don't know why they wouldn't have put more effort into making sure it was working right before implementing it.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page