How Far Would You Go For Land? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
We’re about 35 miles end to end as well. All kinds of opportunities have come up with a larger scope. Next to nothing in a tight radius where I grew up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Used to farm 480 acres 11 miles from home on the other side of the Trans Canada hwy. After a couple of close calls on the highway I sold it and was lucky to pick up some close to home.
If traffic and bridges weren't a concern I would likely still be farming that land but it definitely takes more time to farm away from home. Land in the immediate vicinity of home is definitely worth quite a bit more per acre.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenageFarmer View Post
Just like many others we're in an area where land is almost impossible to acquire unless you've got daddy's quota money. Unfortunately for us our immediate area is so choked full of livestock (us included) that any land that does come up get's bid up to insane prices. We currently run about 800ac all within a 4mi radius of the yard with most of it owned or within the family.

That brings me to the question of this thread, how far does it make sense to go for land? Talking to some neighbors who've gone out a bit further there seems to be some potential opportunities for good land about 25-30ish miles away for almost half of what the local going rate is. Those who have gone further out is it worth it? What are some considerations when farming land that far away? What are all the costs of transporting equipment/fuel/seed/chemical/etc back and forth? I'm just starting to gain some ownership of the farm and took on some decent debt with a major barn project so we're definitely not out knocking on doors, but if opportunities are coming up over the next few years we want to have thought things through so we know what we want to do ahead of time.
I currently deal with about a 30 mile spread mostly North and South. I don't mind it. When rain showers are really spotty you can be productive on some land while the other land is drying out. I usually plan it out where if I'm at my far away land that I seed it all in one shot. The more diverse your crop rotation is the more of a pain it can be. I know tender trailers for seeding are expensive compared to a grain trucks, but if you can minimize the total # of vehicles you need at the field it saves a bunch of stress and time. If you are at the point where you have to transport combines, sprayers, and tractors with a trailer then to me it better be one **** of a deal. I don't know how your licensing fees are for old rust bucket pickups, but we have a few old fords that I don't care if they sit in a field for a week till we have time to get them. If anybody tries to steal them then the joke is on them.

On another note, Don't ever bring up "daddy's money" in your local town/neighborhood. Nothing positive ever really comes out of it. Some people are dealt with a better set of cards then others.... That's life. The good landlords know the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:18 PM
jvw

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
I am of the opinion, possibly wrong, that all the known factors are already priced into land prices. Which is to say, that there really are no bargains in one area vs. another. There is always a reason why one area is higher or lower than another. Even if that reason has nothing to do with farming, such as development potential( which might be wildly profitable in the long haul, but won't make any payments in the interim), or recreational potential/view/resources etc.

Climate/Weather/hail, yields, proximity to markets and services, accessibility, topography, soils, rocks, water table, manure access etc. are already priced in, and cheaper is cheaper for a reason. Which doesn't help at all if nothing is for sale in your immediate area of course.
Duchek and Jordy like this.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
We have 20% of our land 15 miles away. Not far, but sometimes it feels like it. Like when you're down there and get stuck and have to wait an hour or two for a 4wd to come pull you out, if there's even someone available.

You never have the tools you need. Moving all the harvest equipment is half a day each way. But at least when we're there, we try to do it all. Seeding for sure.

In my mind, a fully stocked crew cab service truck would be the first thing if we went farther. A seeding tender is top of my wishlist. We use liquid, so seed, liquid and fuel on one trailer would save the tender driver, me, a lot of trips.

Harvest is rough, especially if you get a rain shower. But it's good for rain/drought risk too. And it's only 15 miles.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My farm is spread out 30 miles in two different directions. Not that big a deal really. You just get more efficient and seed one crop at each farm to cut down moving times. Sometimes its a benefit to spread your weather risk. And theres always the potential to pick something up inbetween
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
If we moved from our most northern field to our most southern, it’d be a 71 mile move. That would never happen of course, because there are lots of fields in between and you plan accordingly. I sure wish everything was in a 10 mile radius but just not reality where the Hutts have surrounded the home farm on all four sides.
s6704940 likes this.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page