Alternator question - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Alternator question

We have a 298 Massey tractor (pride and joy of our fleet) lol that we need to change the alternator. I meant to take a pic earlier but I forgot so will try my best to explain. It has a plug with three connections and one terminal off to the side by itself. The plug connections have one wire that goes to the dash light, then the other two have wire each that goes directly to the starter, which goes to the positive post on the battery. Now my first question is, should both those wires go to the same place (starter) or should one go somewhere else? Seems funny to run two separate wires to and from the same places. And my next question is, where should the terminal by itself be connected? It originally had a black wire connected to it that upon further investigation went to a connection in the wiring harness but went nowhere from there.

We have had this tractor for a few years now, and we got thinking we don't remember if it has actually ever charged since we got it. It doesn't do a lot, auger and mower and a few odd jobs, but sick of always boosting it. Last fall put a new alternator on, but it didn't have the terminal off by itself so tried it anyways. It was overcharging the battery so one day when we were drying grain, without thinking I unplugged the alternator and in doing so burned it out. (big arc)

We have decided to rewire the charging system because the last owner has pretty much butchered everything he touched. Sometimes easier to start from scratch, but not when you don't know how it should work!

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Barn
Well in the case of the oh so common GM delco "1 wire" alt the hot rudders special.
There are actually 3 connections.
One heavy stud terminal goes to the battery [usually via the starter to save wire]
Then the 2 spade connectors with lighter gauge wire are for the charging light and regulator sensor wire.
The indicator light is grounded through the alternator.
There are options for the regulator voltage sens line.
They're called a "1 wire" because the indicator light terminal does not need to be connected and the reg sens line can simply be looped to the heavy output terminal of the alternator.... now IDEALLY the reg sens wire should go directly to the battery, so the battery itself gets the correct voltage regardless of poor connections between it and the alternator.
Not sure if you have that alternator, they're quite common, but what it comes down to is typically you have a heavy charge current carrying wire direct to the battery.
A lighter gauge wire connected directly to the battery for voltage regulator.
And another lighter gauge wire that goes to ignition to "turn on" the alternator.
[The gm delco are "self exciting" so the "turn on" wire is omitted.

Hope I didnt confuse things [I feel like a confused myself there..]

And this is very typical unless you looking at a Chrysler that has a "generator" instead of a alternator.... which just means the regulator is remotely mounted....I doubt your massey woukd have that though.Screenshot_20190414-212729_Chrome_1555298866080.jpg

SWFarmService likes this.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Just keep in mind it's very rare a circuit ever works as the one in the picture. More often than not wire 1 will require a charging system diode.

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
[IMG]C:\Jack\Old Docs\Mydocu~1\Mypict~1\Farm\Delco alternator wiring and 12V conversion.jpg[/IMG]
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
This is how I converted my Cockshutt 535 combine from generator to alternator back about 1975. I was advised to put a 10 watt 10 ohm resistor where the warning light is in this diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Delco alternator wiring and 12V conversion.jpg (28.8 KB, 6 views)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 588 Post(s)
With a self exciting reg you only need connect the output to battery. Depending on magnetic and or speed you may have to bump throttle to latch regulator
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
With a self exciting reg you only need connect the output to battery. Depending on magnetic and or speed you may have to bump throttle to latch regulator
If your talking about the common delco alt, I sure you still need to loop the reg volt sens terminal to the Alt output terminal...... it's a short wire, but regulator still need to know voltage.

I just grabbed a quick pic last night [I did see some with, some without the diode] was not paying attention. What's the purpose of the diode anyway?
I have installed a delco without the diode and light actually just using that terminal to "turn on" the alt straight to ign......??

Keep calm and combine on....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Ok, here is what I have.

#1 this is the post I'm unsure of where it goes.
#2 this goes to the dash light
#3 and 4 both have their own wire that goes to the starter/battery, assume this is done to handle the high current?

So should #1 go to the ignition with power only with the key on, or can it go directly to the battery power?
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0253.png (11.72 MB, 7 views)

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Alternator Terminals

Not sure if this will be helpful or not.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 588 Post(s)
On a delco you only need an output wire hooked up. Nothing else. Yes you need a self energizing reg.(se) If you hook control wires up 1 goes to battery, and 1 to a keyed switch. If you hook both to a live connection you can drain battery. So that is were diode comes in. If you burp to 1/2 throttle a delco will latch with no control wiring. Been there, done that

https://alternatorparts.com/what-is-...lternator.html

Last edited by stevie; 04-15-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page