2Likes
  • 2 Post By nicko87

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
jvw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
How to count acres for custom work?

Doing custom heavy discing, and never sure which acres should be counted. Have both GPS and acre meter on disc. Often in very challenging conditions, not big square farmland.

Customers would prefer field acres by perimeter. But total acres covered are much higher when including going around obstacles, overlap, odd shaped fields, corners or headlands etc.

Rental discs are by the acre meter, so if it is half way in the ground when turning on the headlands, it still counts.

GPS, by stopping and starting every time the disc is lifted partially or fully.

What is standard practice, what is fair to all parties?

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I charge an hourly rate, doesn't matter what shape or obstacles there are then.

TSIPP and kevlar like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Hourly, then you aren't penalized for having to slow down if it's rougher than he!!.

Are you in the fields already? I was just remembering we had talked about making comparisons back in the winter about how different or similar our climates are, I believe it was you? Well, if you are in the fields now, you have at least a two week jump on me. Still a lot of snow banks and can't get the drills out of the snow yet, one is still over half buried. Finally have Robins now though!!

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
https://www.alberta.ca/custom-rates-survey-2017.aspx

Up to $220/hr according to this, two years ago. $250 these days with the Trudeau inflicted inflation.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
jvw

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Hourly, then you aren't penalized for having to slow down if it's rougher than he!!.

Are you in the fields already? I was just remembering we had talked about making comparisons back in the winter about how different or similar our climates are, I believe it was you? Well, if you are in the fields now, you have at least a two week jump on me. Still a lot of snow banks and can't get the drills out of the snow yet, one is still over half buried. Finally have Robins now though!!
My own fields, no. But have some custom work on much different soil types which are ready any time now. Still have the odd snow bank in the shade, and mostly mud at home, but as usual, we are the last place to warm up, even within a few miles of here.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in