Cheapest way to lease or own oxy-acetylene cylinders? - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
jvw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Cheapest way to lease or own oxy-acetylene cylinders?

Got the annual lease/rental bill from Praxair, at $100 per bottle, plus safety and environment fees. The rental costs more than the gas. Are there cheaper companies to work with, or better ways to own/rent than this?

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
I am glad you posted this as I want some info as well. I have air liquid and am pissed at charges as well. I heard a rumor that someone at Clavet Sask fills your containers if you own them. It's your job to deliver them. For the life of me I can't remember who or where but I remember hearing it. That would work for my operation with 2 of each. I currently have a big blue shield on my mig and some middle size oxy acetylene bottles. Mig one lasts me 2 yrs and is $130 I believe a yr. I could be wrong but don't think so. Others are $100 ish. Ridiculous anyways. A trip to fill occasionally on my way to saskatoon would be doable and pay for my trip.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
We have a local shop, "vegreville bumper to bumper" which will fill your own bottle, we used to rent also, realizing how stupid it was to rent and pay for gas, such a scam. Works best for mig gas, as that argon mix fill lasts forever!
So yea, we just buy our bottles now, I think a large bottle is about $500 to buy (filled), which is fine, because you can always sell it later.
I think there are many outfits that allow you to buy, KMC tool, OXY Pro..
RunninREDharD likes this.

Last edited by hihi962; 04-15-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I switched to propane twenty years ago
just need to change torch cutting tip , alot cheaper
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
I am looking for options as well. Liquid Air used to have a 3 year lease on bottles, now it is yearly and of course price went way up. Each of the bottles, 3.45 m3 Oxygen, Acetylene (23 L) and 50 blue Shield #8 (10.3 M3) are $86.12 each per year plus taxes. For 3 bottles I pay $286.78 w/taxes and then pay for gas as required. Ridiculous!

The only thing I gain is convenience as my local welding shop is the Liquid Air supplier and if I run out, I can replace quickly! I don't use a lot and it is generally for heating or difficult bearing removal. Most times angle grinders,band saw and or reciprocating saws do the work!

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RunninREDharD; 04-15-2019 at 12:04 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Peavey mart and ufa sell them here, just exchange. I use propane but it doubles your oxy when cutting.
Combine Pilot likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Westlock has a parts store called Pakt automotive, I bought the bottles and just exchange for full when I run out. He keeps a bunch in stock, so a full bottle has only ever been a trip to town away. Then if your done with an empty bottle they buy it back.
Bottle leases are dumb for farmers who only use small amounts.
I have a bottle of nitrogen that's been kicking around for years, gets used very little [recharged a bobcat breaker attachment after rebuild] nice not to be paying for it every year.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Peavy mart also, just bottle exchange, no contract. for the amount i use, i get years out of a bottle so it makes sense.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Exchanging cylinders at Peavey Mart will only end in major disappointment. No stock when you really need it and they won’t have a clue when more will arrive. Been there done that.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
works for me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page