Painting Grain Trailer - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Painting Grain Trailer

Our Cancade triaxle is getting in need of a paint job. I stopped by one place yesterday for $hits and giggles to get a rough price on getting it sandblasted and painted, and I almost fainted! 25 GRAND!!!!! It did sound like it would be a good quality job, but my trailer is only worth that much! Maybe I'm out of touch with things, but that seemed like a lot. Anyone get one done recently?

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
If you can get it sand blasted or the rust cleaned off I would just spray it yourself with some Sherwood Williams epoxy paint that discounted runs in the $40-50 range per gallan. You can also roll or brush this paint on if you do not have access to a airless sprayer and it can be tinted.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
I just did a set of super b's. Blasted and painted for $4900 each trailer. They look good.
We stripped everything off the trailers to lower costs. Rolled them to the paint shop with just two wheels on each trailer, axle's chained up, lights, tarps, ladders, fenders all stripped off.

Shop that did it does grain hopper bins, tank coatings and some grain trailers as their business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

So you did supers for half the price I got! Think I will shop around, this was the first and only place I have talked to. Not sure I want to tackle painting it myself, never done painting of any kind before, except for the house!

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Done our triaxle this winter for $4000, that was with an expoxy based paint. Just done the sides of the trailer, the trim, and the hoppers. No slopes or suspension. We took our tarp and lights off.

I'm not here to tip toe through the rose garden, I'm here to bulldoze through the bullshit.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Done our triaxle this winter for $4000, that was with an expoxy based paint. Just done the sides of the trailer, the trim, and the hoppers. No slopes or suspension. We took our tarp and lights off.

Looks like I might need to make a trip west!! lol Was that sandblasted and primed?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
There's probably something to do with stripping it down yourself... if I was quoting out that job I would give myself AMPLE time to deal with rusted bolts. As mentioned earlier delivering it with only two wheels ready for blasting and painting I would think would be an entirely different quote.
coolio likes this.

Keep calm and combine on....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Do you think there are any potential rust/structural issues as once one starts down that path of repair and then sandblasting/painting, it can't help but be quite the venture into your pocket book and wish you had either done nothing or sent it down the road before it looks too bad. Often as well once steel gets really deep pitted rust, its hard to get it sand blasted well enough to have new paint stick well and not have it start rusting under the paint. Had a neighbor do a bunch of replacing of side sheets on an older steel enclosed style B train years ago and only because he did most of the work was it feasible at all cost wise but he had to question the work he put into it, it was a major undertaking.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Yes, that was sandblasted, then epoxy primed and then painted. We replaced some sidewall sheets where there was rust before we took it to town.

I'm not here to tip toe through the rose garden, I'm here to bulldoze through the bullshit.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
I had a friend of mine who has a fabricator/welder who works for him do all the metal cutting out and replacing on the trailers prior to taking it to the paint shop. After sandblasting some more weak areas showed up that needed replacing. Not huge costs to fix some of these spots.

When all said and done, I probably should have sent these trailers down the road a few years ago. The trailers are in very good mechanical condition though. My thought process was if I upgraded trailers, I may end up with someone else's issues. We run a new set of aluminum Doepkers as our main trailers, so these work project trailers only see use at seeding and harvest.

They do look pretty nice all newly painted now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page