Hauling fuel to the fields - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
They should just make a another thing to hook behind the aircart with 3000 gal of fuel. You could just flick a switch and fuel on the go and no time lost. You could call the fuel supplier and get a fill just like NH3 when filling aircart. . In my operation I would have the leading cart, then cultivator, then 4000 gal NH3, Then 3000 gal fuel wagon lol. It is almost getting to this point with the amount of fuel it takes to keep those def happy tractors rolling. Luckily my old versy burns about 150 gal a day and won't require this setup. My slip tank keeps me rolling each day with ease.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Barn
Some of the nastiest chemicals I’ve ever worked with are hauled from China to northern Alberta in 1000 L totes. Bounced over winter roads stored for years and I’ve never seen a 1000 L tote fail or leak for any reason. I’ve poked them with the forks and they just stretch around like a balloon. I’m not saying that are stronger or better than slip tanks or metal but they are definitely rated for transportation of dangerous goods.

1967 Case 930 Comfort King with spin on filters and square fenders.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmarker View Post
Some of the nastiest chemicals I’ve ever worked with are hauled from China to northern Alberta in 1000 L totes. Bounced over winter roads stored for years and I’ve never seen a 1000 L tote fail or leak for any reason. I’ve poked them with the forks and they just stretch around like a balloon. I’m not saying that are stronger or better than slip tanks or metal but they are definitely rated for transportation of dangerous goods.
I'm sure once the substance is flammable rules change...
But I totally agree with you those totes are tough.
Highmarker likes this.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmarker View Post
Some of the nastiest chemicals Iíve ever worked with are hauled from China to northern Alberta in 1000 L totes. Bounced over winter roads stored for years and Iíve never seen a 1000 L tote fail or leak for any reason. Iíve poked them with the forks and they just stretch around like a balloon. Iím not saying that are stronger or better than slip tanks or metal but they are definitely rated for transportation of dangerous goods.
Ya. Except fuel is flammable and your knowingly using non approved tanks for transport. Good luck with your farm liability insurance if thereís ever a accident. 990 gal road vault tanks where about 9000$ last I knew. Thatís cheap in my opinion to be legal and safe. Those totes arenít meant to carry flammable liquids period.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:05 PM

Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfarmer View Post
Ya. Except fuel is flammable and your knowingly using non approved tanks for transport. Good luck with your farm liability insurance if thereís ever a accident. 990 gal road vault tanks where about 9000$ last I knew. Thatís cheap in my opinion to be legal and safe. Those totes arenít meant to carry flammable liquids period.
Did you know that oilfield chemicals are flammable too. Some even explosive. Pretty much everything in the oil patch is a hydrocarbon so when I referred to oilfield chemicals I assume that most of that stuff is a combustible material. I called the Alberta information line and totes are perfectly fine to haul diesel around in highways as long as they are 31HA2 rated. There is a Un symbol that they will look for too. The totes are called IBC intermediate bulk container. I learned from the dangerous goods information people when I called them that the 31HA1 container that the glyfosate is shipped in is not the proper rating for diesel it is a rating only for peroxide chemicals only which was interesting.
So no insurance or dot issues if the container is rated 31HA2. In Alberta.
torriem and Northern Farmer like this.

post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Highmarker, do you recall what ag chemicals were originally in those totes which should give a guy a bit of a clue as to which totes would be the ones to be on the lookout for. Also are the totes you are using, do they have the steel cage around them or are they basic plastic units.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Plastic is prohibited for flammable liquids.
https://www.dalkita.com/prohibition-...plastic-totes/
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Farmer View Post
Plastic is prohibited for flammable liquids.
https://www.dalkita.com/prohibition-...plastic-totes/
The article is about storing flammable liquids in plastic containers inside buildings.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
You are right, looks like they are legal for transport with a placard.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:05 AM

Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Farmer View Post
Highmarker, do you recall what ag chemicals were originally in those totes which should give a guy a bit of a clue as to which totes would be the ones to be on the lookout for. Also are the totes you are using, do they have the steel cage around them or are they basic plastic units.
Most of the empty totes we have are from smoke or clearout 41. Both glyfosate and have the 31HA1 on them so Iím going to get some of the 31HA2 totes from a friend that works for a oilfield Chemical company.

The following table outlines the sequence of numbers and letters used to describe a UN IBC.

11 ó rigid, designed for solids, loaded or unloaded by gravity

21 ó rigid, designed for solids, loaded or unloaded under pressure > 10 kPa

13 ó flexible, designed for solids, loaded or unloaded by gravity

31 ó rigid, designed for liquids, loaded or unloaded by gravity
A ó steel

B ó aluminum

C ó natural wood

D ó plywood

F ó reconstituted wood

G ó fibreboard

H ó plastic or rubber

L ó textile

M ó paper

N ó metal other than steel or aluminum
1 ó rigid inner receptacle (Composite IBC only)

2 ó flexible inner receptacle (Composite IBC only)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page