The Combine Forum

The Combine Forum (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/)
-   General Farming Board (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/27-general-farming-board/)
-   -   Hauling fuel to the fields (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/27-general-farming-board/331955-hauling-fuel-fields.html)

RedneckJV 04-20-2019 04:10 AM

Hauling fuel to the fields

I'm needing to make a change this year for hauling fuel. We typically have a 600l and a 400l tidy tank in the back of a pickup and run back and forth to the yard. Seems a person stays busy for a couple hours in the morning just pumping fuel. This spring we expanded a bit and will be running another tractor so it's only going to be worse.

What are guys doing? What works? What don't? Considering a 1000gal transportable tank on a car hauler type trailer or even an enclosed trailer. Looking at the meridian fuel trailers but pricy. Old fuel truck? Thought of upgrading the service truck from 1 ton to something bigger so could hold bigger tank but not sure if that's the way I want to go

CRToney 04-20-2019 09:10 AM

I bought a 400 gal tank and put it in a stock trailer I refurbished. Buy the good 20gal per minute pump. Use the large high flow fuel filters. I get my bulk supplier to fill it. Some guys have round 500 gal road vault tanks on trailers. I still have 150 tank I can install on my deck truck if necessary.

SWMan 04-20-2019 10:10 AM

I've used the tank on a trailer thing and it works okay, but something to be aware of is over a certain amount of fuel you need a hazardous materials ticket. I put up storage in the yards and limit myself to a slip tank now.

Dillon1990 04-20-2019 10:38 AM

We bought a new nurse wagon trailer and mounted a used 500 gal tank on it and then wired the battery on the trailer to the 12v aux on the truck plug and put a small square truck toolbox on the back for extra filters and what not and probably going to add a small def tank to the front this year

coolio 04-20-2019 12:27 PM

We bought one of the meridian fuel trailers, they had a fire sale on old stock last year. Talked to the reps and they said the old stock is much heavier built than the new stock. Probably why they weren't selling many, due to the large price tag. They had the fire sale last spring and it was a savings of around 12K. Anyway it holds 800gal of diesel and about 80gal of def...another reason we bought it. The fuel pump off the gas engine really pumps fuel fast, not sure what it's rated at exactly but I thought he said 40 gal per min. Has the air compressor in the back which is quite handy....can't complain...good trailer...

joesixpack 04-20-2019 02:45 PM

We’re way past the 12V pumps. Have the meridian 1000 gal and it’s decent speed. We put a 500gal tank with a 5hp gas powered 2” pump with a 1-1/4 hose and 1-1/4 auto nozzle like the fuel delivery trucks and that’s the ticket!

shmiffy 04-20-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesixpack (Post 3329959)
Were way past the 12V pumps. Have the meridian 1000 gal and its decent speed. We put a 500gal tank with a 5hp gas powered 2 pump with a 1-1/4 hose and 1-1/4 auto nozzle like the fuel delivery trucks and thats the ticket!

Where did you get the 1 1/4 auto nozzle and how much?

chaddermd 04-20-2019 10:47 PM

I had a 750 gal rectangular tank with baffles made for around 2500, then put it in an enclosed trailer. I use generator combo with a welder and air compressor to power it. also have a 100ft air reel, tool box, and lots of room for spare parts, even a tote of def. I had under 7500 invested and its all inside and lockable.

xtend1 04-20-2019 11:01 PM

Bought (2) Lamar 990gal diesel & 100gal def trailers. Baffles, low profile, sight gauge, pull easy, and less than $8k. Puisi def pump & 12v fuel pump have trickle charger with 110v plug and solar panel. Also, has a Honda gas powered fuel pump with 1.25” hose. Great trailers & cheap for what you get!

stubblejumper 04-21-2019 02:55 AM

X2 on the 2 gas powered pumps. Your bulk dealer should be able to hook you up with some quality 1 1/4 hose and the fuel nozzle. We got ours from the local co-op, same stuff they use on the delivery trucks. Not cheap but its well made and seems to last.

1000 gallon tank from Kyle welding with a baffle in it. Bolted to a car hauler, hose reel and pump on the back and a tote of DEF on the front. Makes for a good load on a 3/4 ton when the tote is full but it works.