Crop progress 2019? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
It's all because of climate change, don't ya know?? Send me most of your money, and I will make it all better! I won't tell you how I will do it, but I will make it better!

Northern Farmer likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
We got a late start up here in the PNW but things are looking great. All the snow in February gave us ample moisture. The winter wheat and the winter peas look great. The spring wheat I seeded is up, actually came up in a week which I have never seen before, and looks really good. All the winter crops are sprayed and I still have a little bit of field work to finish up but pretty well caught up. And we just got anywhere from a half an inch to 1.5 inches of rain this last week which was perfect timing. It looks like we could be pushing another record crop especially if it stays relatively cool through June. I feel bad for the guys in the Midwest it sounds like a wreck to say the least.

post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
So, as long as it is a legit canít plant youíd make more prevent plant as opposed to a crop insurance claimed short or lost planted crop?
Or Iím I interpreting this wrong?
Not exactly. PP is 55% of your revenue guarantee. So 200 BPA x $4 spring price x 85% coverage election = $680/acre guarantee if planted by the final date, PP is 55% of that number so $374 is your PP guarantee.

If you got it planted and only grew say a 150 BPA crop in the previous scenario assuming the same fall price that would equate to 150 BPA x $4= $600/acre or $80/acre short of your $680 guarantee which would trigger an $80/acre payment.

If you got it planted and the crop got completely destroyed by whatever then you would have a $680/acre payment coming, without getting the combine dirty.

Its far better to get a corn crop in the ground than to take PP on it, but taking PP on a corn crop you can not get planted as opposed to switching those acres to soybeans may make financial sense.
brazil08 likes this.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:30 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4634 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptusa View Post
PP is 55% of your revenue guarantee.
Ah, thank you, that is what I must have missed.
I gather you are in a two alternating crop country?
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Barn
Does seed corn count as a separate crop?

Yes, its basically a corn-soybean rotation with cattle guys having some alfalfa in the mix. I've played with some forage sorghum on seed corn isolation acres and have been pretty happy with that but its not an insurable crop either.

There's also some fields that guys run continuous corn for several years, I don't care for that as disease issues can become more pronounced and costs are higher anyway.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #16 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Wet here too, some guys are done or nearly done, then some others haven't started yet... I'm in the middle, got some in but a ways to go. Probably going to be around the first week of June and still putting some corn in, won't seed any late maturity stuff only early then. I was able to get the late RM stuff in, wasn't the field I wanted it to go in but its planted.

Beans are 60% for PP, not the 55% like corn is. Still far from attractive. All PP does is allow you to survive to put in a crop the following year, after land rent/taxes, and cost of maintaining the ground for a year, it is breakeven at best. Some can make money on it if they own the land and have it paid off. Have to attempt to put in the crop, or else they won't pay out. Good choice though if you didn't have inputs down like fertilizer or herbicide, I did have some dry spread last fall though.

I don't think I have ever had so much mud get piled up inside a planter row units before, I've seen them plug but not this frequently. Got good at pulling one or both depth wheels off and scraping the mud off the inside of the wheel.

Fertilizer is also slow getting up here since barges can't get up the river, so has to be trucked or hauled by rail. Flooding also affects that too, I know some states had rail tracks get damaged earlier in the spring. Luckily I'm using a liquid blend on the planter, most here just use a little bit if they have a setup for starter, I'm one who can use a lot more though as I have a 2X2 setup. The one day I had to get the tender tank refilled the site was a 5 ring circus, one of the other sites ran out of AMS and had to wait for the truck load to arrive, about a couple hour trip out of the cities.
post #17 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:00 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4634 Post(s)
The difference between frost and freezing?

Frost is generally thought of a white coating on vegetative growth.
It obviously froze this morning but since the dew point (-7 dew point with a -3 low) was never reached it did not turn things white.
I think that makes sense?
By the way, I challenge anyone to show me a lower low this morning in cropping zone Alberta, this station is located on very frosty, low for the local topography ground, soon as you get wind under 5 km it can be significantly colder.
Attached Images
File Type: png AACBA475-DE30-4F62-8B1A-15E4E3015AA4.png (445.0 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by Don Boles; 05-20-2019 at 10:19 AM.
post #18 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Been a very slow and erratic spring here, although quite dry. Frequent frosts and cold soil temps are holding up crop development. On Saturday soil temp was 6C which is below where many crops should even be planted! I would say generally the area is nearly finished but I still have my canola to put in, will start on that today. Unfavorable conditions for spraying too, although there are few weeds actually growing yet and none of then look really healthy. My wheat and peas are just breaking ground as of yesterday and Captain you will laugh but this is one week of development on the corn crop!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190519_173530.jpg (85.9 KB, 92 views)

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #19 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I hate to be that guy, but you asked. We have been extremely fortunate.

Ive never finished planting even before June and Im done with corn and full season soybeans. Corn looks good but were starting to get a little dry and going to have a lot of 90*+ this week. Half of my beans are popping up and looking good, other half was planted deep in very dry soil, hoping they find the moisture or we get a stray shower. Nothing in forecast, unusual for us as we are a pretty high rainfall area especially in the last decade.

Winter wheat looks good, but it was very patchy and inconsistant emerging and maturing. Top end is probably our average.
Attached Images
File Type: png 26114E55-64E4-49C8-8641-42ACF91E74F8.png (1.88 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg 5D6E6C6C-95CC-41D3-A2E6-D7B29E75AC6A.jpeg (4.71 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg CBE8D573-4AF9-4ACE-A573-AAAC8090BF14.jpeg (2.44 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpeg B6D8E74E-CA94-4CCF-AF7B-A7A21C6C293F.jpeg (987.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg D8739767-68EF-42C5-8F35-5C1C996CF148.jpeg (5.28 MB, 12 views)
Snipe, garyfunk, BrianTee and 2 others like this.
post #20 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:04 PM

Location: North of west palm beach FL and where you all want to visit
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
We are about 30 days from corn harvest here in southern Florida and everything is looking good around this area

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page