60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Captain you will laugh but this is one week of development on the corn crop!
Actually compared to how long its taking our crops to crawl out of the ground this year that is probably better than average right now. Last corn I planted May 6 is just spiking, guys that planted before Easter took 5 weeks to get out of the gorund, think I stuck my first in around April 18 or so and took 3-4 weeks to come out. Those seeds sat in the ground for 2 weeks before they even sprouted. Mid 30's F for lows tonight and last night, highs in the 50's F is not what we are used to in May. Weeds are barely growing or emerging.

Lot of guys re a **** of a lot worse off though. Poor guys down south are getting hammered by tornados.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Slow progress here as well. I read somewhere that Mb was 70% seeded and all the wheat and canola was in... perhaps they should have checked beyond the Red River Valley. I'm 50% seeded with the wheat all in, but still putting fertilizer on the canola and soybean ground. A couple days ago I had to break the ice on the dog's waterbowl so he could have a drink. I would really like to see some more spring weather (it was nice today, and yes, I had to fix our AC too) before I start planting broad leaves.

post #23 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
We are finished seeding for now, hope that the weather next week doesn’t trigger reseeding. Moisture conditions were ideal for seeding and this year we seeded thru almost every slough and low spot. It would be nice to catch a bit of rain soon as I doubt that we have much reserve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Not much is in the ground in this area. The soil is either too cold or too wet. I've never been this late in the season without a single kernel in the ground.
post #25 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Our first wheat is just coming out of the ground. Think we are about 60-70% done. About 300 of wheat left. 240 or so of soybeans. And about 700 of sunflowers. We saw 31F the other night. Garden hose was froze. Was 34F at 3:30AM this morning when I shut the planter down. We could use rain here.
post #26 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Finally got going few days ago.. Third of spring wheat and 60% of corn planted in the past 48 hours. Catching up to ground ready to work. Now looking at sprinkles, changing to rain for a couple of days.
post #27 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Can finally see some rows showing in the first barley we planted and oats somewhat. Still slow growing, even trees are at a standstill. Almost done, an easy day and a bit left, but usually the last 10 acres can drag out because of misjudging on inputs!! Been really dogging it doing canola, unsure if we should keep going or what, took a couple days off on the long weekend. Looked at the thermometer when I walked in the house tonight, was at 3 degrees, wondering now if we should have took a few more days off! Have a feeling we aren't done with frost yet, most of the days in the forecast has highs lingering around where the normal lows should be for this time of year.
whtbaron likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Barn
Not getting any better here yet. Pasture got about 2" in an hour on top of 2-3" overnight, crick was 4' down at 0800, pic was at 1100.

Tractor attached to planter between 2 good size cricks, she is belly deep and rising. Guy is from 40 mile away, lesson learned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190524-131200_Gallery.jpg (406.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190524-131156_Gallery.jpg (443.5 KB, 27 views)
BrianTee likes this.

post #29 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Jesus, that's brutal. I feel for you, been there, it's not nice.

Finally got a rain day here, not much yet, a few tenths maybe so far, don't have a gauge out yet. First measurable rain this year, wish it was warmer than 7 degrees though. Crops actually coming along now, slow but coming up at least, should have canola poking out next week maybe.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Barn
That crick can get angry but it does go down rather fast to, cows are penned up through the night but bet its almost bank in the banks now.

The top end of crop yield is gone in this area. The crop has been way to stressed and is off to the worst start in 11 years. Going to be a good chunk of replant when/if the conditions/calendar permit. Sure could be a lot worse, other areas are really getting slapped.

I've said it before I will say it again, I will take a drought any day over excess rain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page