Rigid neck lowboy or ramped equipment trailer - The Combine Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By albertabuck

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Rigid neck lowboy or ramped equipment trailer

I am trying to decide between a used 10’ wide rigid neck single drop lowboy or one of the 10’ wide ramped stepdeck equipment trailers. 10’ is not common but they exist. I don’t have any tracked equipment at this time. Use is moving equipment between farms and to and from the dealership as needed. Lowboy would handle the large 4wd tractor, not sure about the equipment trailer. Equipment trailer ramps obviously better. Rigid neck lowboys are not popular anymore (banned on some job sites etc) and so you can buy a lot of trailer for money right not. I don’t see a lot of the wider ramped equipment trailers around, maybe they are not as good as they look? Lowboys are heavy though because they have serious structure and can tax legal axle loads but my math says I can still haul my heaviest unit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Hi new farmer.

Are you talking about a paving trailer or a flip out beavertail?

I had a 10' wide tandem hydraulic beavertail equipment trailer. Still have it and need to sell it actually. Worked great until the equipment got too big for it. Hauled pretty much everything on it. Has a hyd winch for pulling dead units on also. Has a steel deck so always had to have lots of tires for walking anything with tracks on.

Got to the point there was a few units that it couldn't haul so went looking for something bigger. A buddy has a tridem double drop equipment trailer with pullouts but it won't haul several units as it is only good for about 30 ton.

This winter we ended up finding a 10' wide 55 ton tridem Peerless shallow double drop mechanical detach neck. Was actually the same money as a fixed neck. Like you say they're not a light unit but this one is plumbed for a booster and has a flip over neck extension so it's easy to add more wheels.

I'm quite happy with the lowboy but about half the stuff I haul has tracks.

Dan
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Except you need a winch tractor, nothing beats a scissor neck. For the most part they are heavier than other lowboys as they are for the heavy work. Some good deals on the older units if you look around, becareful though you don't buy something that is beat to the point it won't pass inspection, you get into replacing crossmembers and more and it gets expensive fast.
torriem likes this.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I just sold a 53' x102'' double drop equipment trailer that had slide outs it was pinned at 12'10'' wide for my swathers . Neville built ................... edit I hauled big 4x4 tractors and combines with it too .

The most dangerous liars are those who think they are telling the truth .............The naked truth is better than any best dressed lie .

Last edited by Prohay; 05-27-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page