Survey marker in wrong place? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarms11 View Post
Anyone have a picture of these survey markers?
They're the ones usually sticking up out of an old scrub pile! Shouldn't be too hard to find one!!! lol

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvw View Post
Just had a look on my way by. Saw another survey marker cross the road It was almost lined up with the new fence on my side of the road. And there is a pin right below it. Although the property line fence on that side of the road is at least 100 feet too far south. So I dug around on my side of the road and found the survey pin right underneath the orange survey marker with ribbon tied to it. I looked at the fence closer and it has a significant curve to it so apparently what I said in the last post wasn't very accurate.

So how can the property lines on both sides of the road be offset by almost 20 feet? Does the survey pin take priority when it can be found, or do the surveyors measure from another known point?
With the limited information given, it sounds like you are on a Correction Line, which occurs every 4 Townships. Due to meridian convergence, that means meridians (North/south lines) converge to connect at the North Pole. Township lines are reset every 4 townships so that sections maintain their theoretical size (area) as you go north.

https://www.alsa.ab.ca/Public-Information/Albertas-Township-System

Last edited by New_Farmer; 06-20-2019 at 01:55 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Most of gime theres a concrete post burried, we have had several fields resurveyed becuase neighbors were over the line, its not cheap but awesome once its staked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
jvw

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Farmer View Post
With the limited information given, it sounds like you are on a Correction Line, which occurs every 4 Townships. Due to meridian convergence, that means meridians (North/south lines) converge to connect at the North Pole. Township lines are reset every 4 townships so that sections maintain their theoretical size (area) as you go north.

https://www.alsa.ab.ca/Public-Inform...ownship-System
That would be a reasonable explanation, but correction lines should run E-W, this is shifted N-S, and the next correction line is 10 miles North of here. Thanks for the link, interesting topic. I really want to know more about how it was done, especially out here. This country would be solid heavy tall bush if not for farmers ( although evidently it was all burnt off when the first settlers got here), full of Muskegs(impassible) and rivers, some big hills etc. How they even got around let alone accurately surveyed it beyond me.
Transaxial and kevlar like this.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.

Last edited by jvw; 06-20-2019 at 04:10 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
The stake above ground is the "witness" marker. The metal pin under the ground (if there is one) is the "monument". The monument shows where the boundary is while the witness is just a way to help find the monument.

When re-establishing the boundary line, a survey will try to use the original monuments. If the monument cannot be found, try will re-establish a monument based on other information. In Saskatchewan (and I would imagine Alberta), the government has dimensions of each quarter section. You can download that data electronically and for free if you know where to go (ISC in Sask). Quarters are not exactly 1/2 mile on each side.

If you know what you are doing, you can lookup the coordinates of the corners of the quarter section. The will be in the UTM coordinate system. Those can be converted to the more common WGS84 system that most GPS systems use. Handy for finding roughly where the boundary should be. To find it more accurately, you need someone trained in surveying.

There is quite a bit of interesting information on this web site:

https://www.isc.ca/About/History/Lan...ges/Types.aspx

They actually have copies of the log books of the original surveyors. Those guys did an amazing job given the technology they had and the difficulty of the landscape.
torriem, Transaxial and PJakober like this.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<farmpro.ca/combine-loss>, works well on mobile phones.

Last edited by farmingsk; 06-20-2019 at 04:56 AM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
I think the surveyors must have done my area late on a Friday, may have gotten into the booze a little! The road past my place zig zags north and south, or maybe it was the road builders who were on the sauce?? Either way, those surveyors had a tough, tough job, amazing how well they did it considering the technology they had (none) and the conditions they were working in.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
There seems to be some variation in what actually happens to property lines out in the country. I know of one situation right next to one of my quarters on a NS quarter line that was east 50 feet of the line on my land. The owner that was losing land had it surveyed and as a result built a new fence well into the other guys crop. Created some ruffling of feathers in the area. Who knows why the old fence was that far wrong but the new survey changed it. What about the little notation on your land title that says more or less? One line of thinking would be that you accept where the fence or stakes are when you buy land because measurements are always subject to cumulative errors and human error but some of these changes make you wonder what the right thing really is.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transaxial View Post
There seems to be some variation in what actually happens to property lines out in the country. I know of one situation right next to one of my quarters on a NS quarter line that was east 50 feet of the line on my land. The owner that was losing land had it surveyed and as a result built a new fence well into the other guys crop. Created some ruffling of feathers in the area. Who knows why the old fence was that far wrong but the new survey changed it. What about the little notation on your land title that says more or less? One line of thinking would be that you accept where the fence or stakes are when you buy land because measurements are always subject to cumulative errors and human error but some of these changes make you wonder what the right thing really is.
Pretty doubtful the survey was off 50ft.
More likely somebody did something old fence was not built on the property line.
You know neighbours sometimes don't get along so maybe if one wouldn't pay his share for a new fence we build it on our own property a ways in so the other one can't use it type of thing.
New survey generally doesn't change things.
They go back to known good markings and survey from that.
Transaxial likes this.

Last edited by MF cowboy; 06-20-2019 at 04:20 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Agree, highly doubtful original survey off that much. That’s over 3 acres if it was 50’ the whole half mile.

In-laws have a quarter with SW fence starts pretty much at the pin and is just about 100’ off at the NW corner.

Fence is good and straight, it’s just not straight down the property line! &#x1f606;
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Seen it happen here, fence built on wrong side of undeveloped road allowance or homesteader trail.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page