Best way to clean out wild oats - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Best way to clean out wild oats

Thanks to this spring, it looks like we are going to have quite a few wild oats in our barley. Was just so dry after seeding that nothing was coming for weeds, so we waited as long as we could to spray, much of it was close to flag leaf, so didn't really want to wait any longer in case we got a week of bad weather and couldn't get to it. So now that the rains have come, the wild oats have really appreciated that, and are standing proud waving to me. So my question is, what is the best way to clean them out after combining them? If it turns out that it doesn't look too bad, I won't worry about it, but if it's bad, I might want to clean it a little. Just starting to get prepared. We haul direct to hog barns, so want to keep up a good reputation of quality grain. Don't need it as clean as seed, but nice.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Barn
best way would be a blanket cleaner, but slow ...
second best is a rotating sieve, a lot faster but not as good

regards, warren
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Thanks to this spring, it looks like we are going to have quite a few wild oats in our barley. Was just so dry after seeding that nothing was coming for weeds, so we waited as long as we could to spray, much of it was close to flag leaf, so didn't really want to wait any longer in case we got a week of bad weather and couldn't get to it. So now that the rains have come, the wild oats have really appreciated that, and are standing proud waving to me. So my question is, what is the best way to clean them out after combining them? If it turns out that it doesn't look too bad, I won't worry about it, but if it's bad, I might want to clean it a little. Just starting to get prepared. We haul direct to hog barns, so want to keep up a good reputation of quality grain. Don't need it as clean as seed, but nice.
If you have the patience let the barley stand a little longer at harvest and let the wild outs drop. I ve had to do that with Oats before. Not ideal for your field, but it does produce a clean sample with out all that cleaning. I hate wild oats with a passion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
It's Conlon barley, so we don't leave it standing any longer than we have to as it tends to break off it it gets over ripe. I am wondering if most won't shell out as they have all headed out already, and generally they should ripen before the barley. Just finally got all the Foxtail barley cleaned up from the wet years, and now the wild oats are giving us a go! Always something.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
I cant comment for barley bc its been years since I cleaned any but if you don't need perfect a farm king screening mill isn't too expensive. we use it to pre clean unthreshed heads and fines ahead of our seed cleaner and it gets maybe 40-50% of the oats out of wheat and durum bf hitting the cleaner. an that's not really being set for wild oats, its just grabbing the larger / longer material. 3 -500 bph in wheat depending on model.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradw2 View Post
I cant comment for barley bc its been years since I cleaned any but if you don't need perfect a farm king screening mill isn't too expensive. we use it to pre clean unthreshed heads and fines ahead of our seed cleaner and it gets maybe 40-50% of the oats out of wheat and durum bf hitting the cleaner. an that's not really being set for wild oats, its just grabbing the larger / longer material. 3 -500 bph in wheat depending on model.
Was thinking the same maybe try a 9x9 or 10X10 wire sieve. Or an air machine and blow out the oats they should be lighter.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Apparently there's a market for rolled wild oats once you get them separated out. Supposed to be quite tasty.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Moebis View Post
Was thinking the same maybe try a 9x9 or 10X10 wire sieve. Or an air machine and blow out the oats they should be lighter.
you would think that all right.... but we have an Aeromeh cleaner and if you check all the outlets, there is a few wild oats come out of literally every density division. a lot can be sorted out but there must be an enormous variation in densities in wild oats.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
I would just take a little exter dockage and Carey on. The pigs won’t care.

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:43 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4658 Post(s)
What sort of % of wild oats would make you want to clean it up for pigs?
I admire the desire to supply clean feed though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page