looking to put up a storage building - The Combine Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
looking to put up a storage building

Thinking of sizes from 50 x 80 to 60 x 120. what would be the best and cheapest to put up, can tarp buildings handle the wind in central alberta out in the open with no shelter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Barn
I wouldn't do a tarp building if it was free. Seems every couple years guys here with them have to retarp them due to wind.

I don't the price difference but your putting up a shed that you want to last 50+ years or 10? Currently putting up a calving barn, wood frame, 56x96x14 for $74k, concrete included on feed apron and approach.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Go ahead, do your own pricing. I think you should. But at the end of the day a tarp shelter in almost all practical cases will be too close to the same price as a wood structure. And in the end you will have a tarp and not tin. You don't need to be an engineer to figure which will last longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptusa View Post
I wouldn't do a tarp building if it was free. Seems every couple years guys here with them have to retarp them due to wind.

I don't the price difference but your putting up a shed that you want to last 50+ years or 10? Currently putting up a calving barn, wood frame, 56x96x14 for $74k, concrete included on feed apron and approach.
Up here in northern AB $74k would just be the concrete
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Speaking from experience, you can never have a shed too big. If I could store all my equipment, including attachments, inside I would.
We went with 80' wide with a 50' bi-fold. Yes those big doors are expensive but having the width allows you to access a number of machines without having to move everything to get at it. If you are running wide headers, it's nice to be able to run the combine and header into the shed before a rain.
I have heard the post frame builders are pretty slow this year. You may be able to get a better price then you think by calling around.
Transaxial likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
I have done price comparison many times and pole shed always wins (unless going wide, then steel). On a 60x200 hay shed the canvas/plastic building was significantly more, that surprised me. But nothing is cheap up here.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymo View Post
Speaking from experience, you can never have a shed too big. If I could store all my equipment, including attachments, inside I would.
We went with 80' wide with a 50' bi-fold. Yes those big doors are expensive but having the width allows you to access a number of machines without having to move everything to get at it. If you are running wide headers, it's nice to be able to run the combine and header into the shed before a rain.
I have heard the post frame builders are pretty slow this year. You may be able to get a better price then you think by calling around.
Yeah. Bigger the better. We have 50 x 100. Heated. If we would do it again 100x100 steel frame with piles. No pole shed not strong enough. 100x100 is a lot of $$$$.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Farmer View Post
I have done price comparison many times and pole shed always wins (unless going wide, then steel). On a 60x200 hay shed the canvas/plastic building was significantly more, that surprised me. But nothing is cheap up here.
Nothing is cheap anywhere. Every time I price something it a arm and three ****
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, i wondered how reliable those tarp buildings actually were, so there out now i person sees that olympia steel a lot has anyone had much to do with them
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I will stay away from the tarp sheds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page