Grain Cart Prices! - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
It was painful with my hydraulic pump how slow it unloaded. It was minutes to unload which I didn't have time for, Had our 4wd on it with 2 hydraulic sets of hoses with 2 remotes running it on a 946 vers. I put an old 7060 Allis we have (160HP) 2wd on it and its not a speed demon in the field but unloads with the PTO wicked fast. I just use my 1 truck now. Semi with 34' tandem trailer. I jump in the cart and 2 hoppers from an class 6 and a class 7 and 2 trips with cart to my truck and I am off. # mile haul to my 13" grain max and I can be back just in time for the class 7 to unload on my truck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
I've taken that into account. Combine hopper is 350, so could take two full hoppers. Use a tandem, so one stop could fill it. Tridem would take 2 dumps. A cart big enough to fill a tri axle in one stop is out of our budget. The more I think about having both pto option or hydraulic is nice. Don't really want to put hours on our 4 wheel drive unless needed, so will use the fwa as much as I can. I don't need to fill the cart to the nuts all the time, so hopefully it will handle it. Would rather upgrade the fwa than the 4 wheel drive.
What I am seeing with your numbers is you need/want a bigger cart if your combine is 350 bu. As soon as you unload on the go which is one of the reasons for getting a cart, you add 50-75 bu every time you unload. And you do not want to stop your combine unloading auger full. So now you are up over 400 bu every dump so your cart should hold 2 of those with a little room to spare. So 850-900 bu. Harvesting for me also involves being able to make it down and back on a 1/2 mile which is harder to do as headers get wider. Which means carts need to be bigger and needs to under the combine spout every round or you get messed up with combines full at the far end of the field and a long way from the empty truck waiting close to the road and the shortest quickest way to the bin. It just works better if you keep the cart unloads short and simple and regular. I actually never used a cart but did the exact same unload rotation with 2 combines ( class 6 and 8) and 2 tandems dumping into a pit in the yard. Worked good until I added a class 9 instead of a 6 and the 2 combines did not fit into a tandem. The answer was a tridrive with a bigger box so the combines could fully unload. Same principle with a cart. Grain flow becomes pretty serious when you get a couple of class 8s ? with full 350- 400 bu hoppers every 12-15 minutes. Every second counts and some of these details add up at the end of the day or harvest.

SouthernSK, adsinaus and w-mFarms like this.
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Flamans rents them for the season. If at the end you can put the rental price against the sales price

Week Men Create Hard Times
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transaxial View Post
What I am seeing with your numbers is you need/want a bigger cart if your combine is 350 bu. As soon as you unload on the go which is one of the reasons for getting a cart, you add 50-75 bu every time you unload. And you do not want to stop your combine unloading auger full. So now you are up over 400 bu every dump so your cart should hold 2 of those with a little room to spare. So 850-900 bu. Harvesting for me also involves being able to make it down and back on a 1/2 mile which is harder to do as headers get wider. Which means carts need to be bigger and needs to under the combine spout every round or you get messed up with combines full at the far end of the field and a long way from the empty truck waiting close to the road and the shortest quickest way to the bin. It just works better if you keep the cart unloads short and simple and regular. I actually never used a cart but did the exact same unload rotation with 2 combines ( class 6 and 8) and 2 tandems dumping into a pit in the yard. Worked good until I added a class 9 instead of a 6 and the 2 combines did not fit into a tandem. The answer was a tridrive with a bigger box so the combines could fully unload. Same principle with a cart. Grain flow becomes pretty serious when you get a couple of class 8s ? with full 350- 400 bu hoppers every 12-15 minutes. Every second counts and some of these details add up at the end of the day or harvest.

A combine can dump before it's full, a tandem won't hold two full hoppers anyway. Currently just use the tandem, unless it's a longer haul, we will park the truck and triaxle in the field. I dump when the lights first flash, so about 3/4 of a hopper. We dump on the go as much as possible. I then go back to the end or near the end so we can dump the second 3/4 or so hopper on the go (mounted a back up cam looking into the box, really recommend this, makes it so nice!). Very seldom do we dump at the far end of a swath, unless it's cut off by a slough or something, dump as close to the field entrance as much as possible. Often cut a round short with the combine in order to dump back at the closest end of the field. I'm really not trying to improve the combines efficiency as there are days it doesn't stop moving for hours on end, until my brother needs a pi$$. My problem is the wet fields.

Looked at a J&M today, seemed alright, but the tires were cracked a bit and paint faded, but overall decent shape. Also looked at a Bourgault 750 Smart Cart. Anyone have experience with the Bourgault one? Never really considered it until we looked at it, just always seen the bigger ones.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
We got a smart cart last year to make unloading on the go easier and also because of wet ground. I haul with two tandems and my wife runs the cart (son drives the lexion). With only one year can't say much about it but it did what we wanted without any issues. Has a libra scale that's pretty amazing considering it's ten year old technology. PTO version. There's a lot of grease points in the auger elbow that can be a pain but they are a once a week job so not too bad.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your operation sounds similar to ours. Started living the dream 8 years ago farming on our own. Bought a jd9610, one tandem, case 9270, and j&m 750-14. Bought a hyd motor, made a chain coupler and put it on the cart. About half speed of pto. Absolutely fantastic harvest set up for 1500 acres. Wife on the combine, kids on the cart (no drivers yet) and I drove truck. Hyd drive was easily adequate. Combine never stopped. Have since upgraded to class 8 combine and pto tractor but no need to upgrade the cart.
crash5291 likes this.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

We ended up getting the Bourgault cart. The other carts we looked at were a little rough around the edges but over all were good shape. The Bourgault had better tires. We plan on just using the FWA for this fall with the PTO, figured you guys on here would have a cheaper way to make the hydraulic conversion cheaper than to buy from the dealer, $$$$$$! We need to upgrade one of the four wheel drives, so now will look around for one with a PTO. Figured that even if we aren't happy with the cart, they seem to hold their value, so would get our money back out of it.
garyfunk and SWMan like this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Little late to the party here but if you plan on running it on the 110hp fwa I assume you checked the tongue weight of the cart vs the drawbar on the tractor? Hate to overload the tractor and break the drawbar first day in.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrock acres View Post
Little late to the party here but if you plan on running it on the 110hp fwa I assume you checked the tongue weight of the cart vs the drawbar on the tractor? Hate to overload the tractor and break the drawbar first day in.
Yes have seen this happen before!
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Well, things have now changed due to the lovey weather, yet again. It will now be too wet to even consider using the front wheel assist this fall on the cart. Our 4 wheel drive doesn't have a PTO so we might have to put a hydraulic drive on the cart. Anyone out there with experience with this? I don't have a clue what the requirements are. A kit from Bourgault is $5200 and for some reason will take 2 weeks to get here. Can anyone help me out? The tractor is a '95 Ford New Holland 9680. Not sure what it has for GPM, tractor data has it listed at 30 gpm. The cart is a Bourgault 750 Smart Cart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page