Grain Cart Prices! - The Combine Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Grain Cart Prices!

So due to the lovely weather we have been blessed with, we are kicking around the idea of getting a grain cart. Only really a 2 man operation around here as far as harvest goes, my brother and myself. Fields are getting so soft and wet, I can't get into most fields now. Plan is to get a cart, even though I will have to drive it and the truck myself (I know, I'm good right!!!). Not looking for new by any means, but looking around on a few sites to see what is out there. My lord man!!!!! The prices on these new ones! Getting close to the 200,000 mark! Knock a zero or two off that, now that's what we're shooting for! Not really looking for advice or suggestions, have a few in our sights, but willing to hear the good and bad out there. Just couldn't believe the prices! Not sure why I was so shocked, nothing is really "cheap" any more.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
A decent 1000bu cart could probably be had for a reasonable price except it’s right in season.

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
I got a J&M 750 last yr used from a dealer. I had it on hydraulic drive. Never had a tractor with a big 1000 pto so I lived with it not knowing the difference. Bought a yoke with a small 1000 end and put it on and love the cart now. I paid 24G for it and it was a great deal for the shape it was in. The gearbox was freshly redone and has been trouble free. They are a ridiculous price yes!! So are baggers. Couldn't find a 10' used anywhere last yr and had to buy a new Brandt. With all the drying I have been doing the cart has came in handy. Last yr I hauled from the dry bins to the bagger a 100 yds away. The only option I had anyway unless I spent even more on a bagger that unloaded trucks as well. Good news is it won't depreciate much if you buy used. I bought in the harvest season as well but what can you do. you need it so you get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
You must be just looking at the 2000bu carts. Couple years ago, new 1000bu were a third of that, or less.

A cart still adds value to a two man operation. For nearby land, you could park the truck at the auger and haul combine to bin with the cart.

If you're comparing brands, I thought the Brandts looked better built overall than the J&M. Though I prefer the way the J&M rests the auger on the front, the Brandt swings it back along the side and you can't see it from the cab. Didn't really look at anything else.

Not sure what you have for a combine but the Brandt is noticeably taller, gotta really watch auger clearance in draws and hills.

Getting the bigger tires is nice for floatation and stability, but pricey. If you've got a tractor to run it, PTO unload is a lot faster than hydraulic.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
One thing to consider that a lot of guys overlook is hitch weight. Just make sure your tractors drawbar is up to the task. All cart mfg’s will have literature on tongue weight.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
If your budget extends to it look for one w bogey axles; it’ll save your drawbar weight and save the banging around all day...
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I’m just wondering if the right hand auger is a good thing. Would you lose some grain folding it every time?
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I bought a 1000 bushel J&M from a retiring neighbor a few years ago. Best investment I have made for our harvesting. We cut 10k acres with three people (yes we have a large harvest window here) and it takes the place of an extra truck in the field and keeps the combine rolling. Paid 20K for it. I guess I didnt realize what a deal that was.

Also, I put a scale kit on ours. Really happy with it. Easy to calibrate yield monitors, load trucks legal, and we know exactly what's in the bin.
bfl2008 and adsinaus like this.

"Never deliberately make an enemy in life, you'll make plenty by accident." Abraham Lincoln
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Kevlar you should be able to find a pretty nice cart in the $30,000 range. Make sure it has lots of rubber under it. I bought a older 1200 bushel kinze cart 4-5 years ago fairly cheap. It sits more than it gets used. When it is dry we use our triaxle trailers. When it gets wet it is a nice option to turn to and it is something we could sell and get our money out of if we didn't want it.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
bought an old Brent feq years ago from zettler in Portage he has a lot of used ones there was 14000 2 man operation here as well haven't put a dime into it other than grease as was said I use it right from combine to bin lots if within a mile or can pick up with it till semi is full then he dumps in cart cheapest second truck u can buy be hard to go back to no cart now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page