National Geographic Custom Harvester (from august 1972) - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
National Geographic Custom Harvester (from august 1972)

Hi Everyone,

I found this forum, or the old version of it when searching Google. I came across some folks who were wondering what became of the "custom harvester, who was in National Geographic" (back in August 1972).

Well, I think I can help! My name is Mikel Louder, son of Max Louder. If you've read the article, you'd remember me as a 5 year old "Lilliputian Drill Sargent" as described by writer Noel Grove.

The article "North with the Wheat Cutters" followed my dad/Max (harvest crew and family) on our annual harvest path from Texas to Montana. Writer Noel Grove and photographer Jim Sugar (from National Geographic) traveled with us in 1971 harvest season.

When the article came out in August of '72, we had moved to Pasco Washington and Max/dad started harvesting on irrigated farms in Washington, Oregon, Arizona and California.

Max/dad went on to run combines for another 20 plus years out west, retiring from the harvest run in 1995. He helped his former customers find custom cutters in 1996 & 1997 and officially retired in 1997.

He passed away at the age of 82 in July of 2007 and was posthumously inducted into the Custom Harvesters Hall of Fame in March 2008. U.S. Custom Harvesters Inc. - Hall of Fame

My mother and I traveled to Texas and accepted on his behalf. The ceremony was attended by family, friends, former crew and a former customer (farmer).

It was rather ironic that the ceremony was in Wichita Falls (Texas), as for 20 plus years, dad had started his annual harvest run just down the road in Munday Texas. Kenneth Baker, who's father was one of my dad's customers in Munday for many years attended the ceremony as well.

If you'd like to see photos, read more about Max/dad , his accomplishments after National Geographic, and his 50 years as a Custom Harvester, please visit the tribute page on my website at: ML Harvesting - A Tribute to Max Louder

Of course if you have questions, feel free to ask. Although I was very young back during the National Geographic years, my mother is still living and she can answer questions that I can't. and I can cover the questions after we moved west and I was old enough to work for my dad.

Sincerely,

Mikel M. Louder
MML Photo
Mikel M. Louder Photography, Freelance Commercial Photographer

whtbaron likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 01:26 AM

National Geographic Custom Harvester (from august 1972)

Thanks for the info, I have read and studied that article many times and really enjoyed it. It is great to hear from you.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Would that have been the same article that was in the Readers Digest about that time, I may even have a copy of that ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

jdboy, I don't know about an article in Readers Digest? It's not the same one as National Geographic, to the best of my knowledge.

Years later (1980) they did make the movie "Amber Waves" (starring Dennis Weaver, Kurt Russell and Mare Winningham). The story was loosely based on "North with the Wheat Cutters", although you likely wouldn't know it from the movie.

As Noel Grove told me, "He couldn't watch Amber Waves, as they "Hollywoodized" the National Geographic story".
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 AM

Reader's Digest

jdboy - the Reader's Digest article highlighted Abe Neufeld Harvesting out of Inman, KS.The article was printed in September, 1980. Abe's son, Keith, is carrying on the family business these days.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
amber waves was filmed around here we all had a good laugh when they were shovelling grain around in the back of a truck
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 PM

Was that Bernard Kretchmar of Medford, Okla. that is running the combines in the picture with 10 combines ?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:24 PM

Yes, the other combines were Bernie and Randy Kretchmar's from Medford, OK
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfordwest View Post
Was that Bernard Kretchmar of Medford, Okla. that is running the combines in the picture with 10 combines ?
Yes, the first 5 combines belonged to my dad (Max Louder). The second 5 belonged to Bernie.

We didn't typically harvest in one field/circle like that. Just did it that day for the picture. It was taken in 1978 at SimTag Farms between Boardman and Arlington Oregon.

Mikel
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 PM

Anyway i could get a copy of the article from National Geographic? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page