Custom rates - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
If there are any available, have the neighbour rent the combine from the dealer and offer to run it for $30/hr OR offer to run his while he sleeps so he can run around the clock, assuming the conditions allow that. Swallow a good sized rock or hook something you didn't know was in the field and you will wish you left your combine in the shed. Combines being a high wear item with lots of moving parts HAVE to earn a decent return for every thrashing hour IMO. IMO, charge a rate that makes sense to you as a the owner of the combine (If you use your own) and covers you for the wear and tear with the understanding that, should the roles be reversed in the future, you will pay him the same rate to help you.

kevlar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
As far as I'm concerned, the day of helping out a neighbor just to be neighborly are over. The cost of equipment etc are just too high to do things just because you always have. If you put a rock through your machine while helping him, would he be willing to help pay for repairs? I doubt it. If you're doing in hopes that if/when he sells, he will give you a deal, that likely won't happen either.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Conditions are getting poor for any combine (I hope not ) .
Rate per acre plus rate per hour seems fair to me ,that way nobody get hurt is if your doing 10 acre/hr or 20 acre/ hr .
Leave combine in shed if a decision to ,but next year he might help you .
.002 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
We still help each other if someone is in trouble. We use the custom rate guide if it's any more than a day. We use the guide for all the work we do back and forth if someone asks for help. Keeps it fair. I love running the combine and it gets me out of house work. Sorry, i'm going to help the neighbor!
jdinsk and Woodpecker59 like this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Helped a neighbor this fall after he lost one of his kids, with two combines-- made me feel good about it -- got all his beans done in two days as it would hve taken him a week . Don't want anything in return but am shure that he will help next year as we are good neighbors but kind of wondered -- ( what if I sucked in a rock ) who would pay the insurance deductible ? But still the feeling of helping someone out outdid the worry about insurance deductibles .
hondaman, Grainline and gtcustomag like this.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Considering that we were quoted $500/ sep hour on two year old trades this year, I'd say custom rates should be $50/acre and up. Right now it makes no sense to operate machinery that depreciates this fast. If I can line up a custom guy for around 35/acre with no trucks/cart we will consider it and sell these stupid things. Crazy equipment world in Canada at the moment.
rod likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:33 AM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Had one of these difficult combining jobs presented in November. Dealer had a used CX 8090 there at $300/hr(no operator, fuel, etc) so went with $330/hr(with operator, no fuel, etc) - combine running hrs, not necessarily separator hrs - for CX8080. There no way that would go on per acre basis due to conditions - getting less than 10a/hr done. I think that if person wanted to combine all parts of the Winter that it possible to would need another phone line even at these rates. Pretty sure I do not want another phone line and it not the depreciation that scares me.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I charge $30 to $35 per acre depending on crops, farmer supplies fuel, no trucks or cart, trucking is paid for by the customer.
bjtjjl likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
The 2017 Sask Rate guide is at 35.76 CDN per acre. Any grain transport would be in addition. The guide seems to come out every 2 years or so. Not sure how we would be able to value work back and forth any other way. It is only designed for farmers helping farmers. Not meant for a custom operator. Whether we pay the bill or carry it over for work reciprocated it helps put a value to the work. I hate to think that we have come so far that we can't help each other. It's a struggle.

http://publications.gov.sk.ca/docume...al%20Guide.pdf
Last gen farmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page