Custom rates - The Combine Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Custom rates

We're one of the fortunate few who finished before the snow and have had a few calls asking if we would be interested in doing some custom work?
I started putting some numbers down and they get scary high very quickly!
Local dealers are charging $250/ hr for Deere 70 series machines and $300/hr for S series. Was figuring $30/hr for labour, $55/hr for fuel for combines, $150/hr for 485hp tractor, cart and driver..
That puts us around $820/hr for two 9870's operators and a cart/ tractor!
Are these numbers unreasonable? I don't want to come across as predatory for guys who are behind the eight ball but in the same token conditions from here on out may not be the best and I can't afford to beat up our iron for nothing. I have a couple close neighbours that we have worked back and forth together with for years, generations really and money never changes hands that I owe a couple days to but not sure what to do about the other custom calls??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
What will you do 20-30ac/hr? With fuel included, might not be enough.

Dirt farmer likes this.

Brent.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
50-55$ per acre including trucks, 45-50 without

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt farmer View Post
We're one of the fortunate few who finished before the snow and have had a few calls asking if we would be interested in doing some custom work?
I started putting some numbers down and they get scary high very quickly!
Local dealers are charging $250/ hr for Deere 70 series machines and $300/hr for S series. Was figuring $30/hr for labour, $55/hr for fuel for combines, $150/hr for 485hp tractor, cart and driver..
That puts us around $820/hr for two 9870's operators and a cart/ tractor!
Are these numbers unreasonable? I don't want to come across as predatory for guys who are behind the eight ball but in the same token conditions from here on out may not be the best and I can't afford to beat up our iron for nothing. I have a couple close neighbours that we have worked back and forth together with for years, generations really and money never changes hands that I owe a couple days to but not sure what to do about the other custom calls??
Feel the same way. If I knew I would get the same amount of hours back it wouldn't be a problem. But where do you draw the line. All the dealers care about are the hours when you trade now. Made lots of deals just by texting and maybe one actual conversation afterwards. Atleast when you are texting there is proof of what was agreed to. Back to the original topic though, where do most of you draw the line with neighbourly help when there is nothing in return, a day, two or three days? Depreciation costs can add up very quickly if you take a couple combines and semis over. I was thinking $20 an acre plus fuel. That would be for a 680 and 670 and probably one semi for sure. Not wanting to get rich but enough to cover machinery costs and labour.
Dirt farmer likes this.

I'm not here to tip toe through the rose garden, I'm here to bulldoze through the bullshit.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
I think with the conditions it would be better to charge by the hour rather than by the acre. With the mud and down crop cutting will not be that easy.
Baudy likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I can't see doing much more than 25ac/hr in these conditions in all reality. At those acres and my hourly estimate we would need $33/acre! Sure seems like a lot if if was paying it but just don't see the point in losing on it and at that it's really only covering dealer depreciation numbers and my costs. Might be making a few bucks on the tractor and cart??
The more I think about it the less appealing it's getting and I hate to say it if this forcast for the weekend plays out it might not be an issue anymore.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt farmer View Post
I can't see doing much more than 25ac/hr in these conditions in all reality. At those acres and my hourly estimate we would need $33/acre! Sure seems like a lot if if was paying it but just don't see the point in losing on it and at that it's really only covering dealer depreciation numbers and my costs. Might be making a few bucks on the tractor and cart??
The more I think about it the less appealing it's getting and I hate to say it if this forcast for the weekend plays out it might not be an issue anymore.
I would pay that. My only neighbor that's done is already in Mexico!! I would prefer the charge be by the acre though, the stuff I have left is on the otherside of the cpr mainline, it's a gaurantee the trucker gets 2 - 1/2hr train delays.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
I can't believe none of you believe the going rate would be ball park 50$. Don't be a chicken, that's your bottom line period

I still can't believe this 30 some dollars an acre keeps popping up, that's been gone for nearly 20 years

And for anyone to think 25 acres and hour this time of year.... Pipe dream, days are short and the weather it tuff
goncutn, rod, bauerr and 1 others like this.

God Bless America

Last edited by SWFarmService; 10-13-2016 at 10:59 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
$820/hr for the equipment and labor you're providing is not too much. The current conditions will definitely take that much life out of your equipment!
I agree with SWF that $50USD with support equipment is not out of line.
Also agree if you have neighbors you work back and forth with for generations you are morally obligated!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
With the type of conditions we will encounter if we start up again this fall would be to charge by the threshing hour $225-300/hour for a class 8 or 9 depending on the age of the machine plus fuel, no wages and maybe a few brew if we finish. Would not be opposed to trade hours next fall with a neighbor you trust and will be still farming next year to give them a chance to work it off next year. I wish there was a way to transfer insurance on combines to whoever you are working for.

Transaxial and Baudy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page