A possibly terrible idea, but what's your thoughts? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I lost my truck drivers for my custom run(oil activity went up 300 miles away so they decided it payed more and the job lasted longer)

My idea is to either not have grain trucking or split my combines up, for smaller jobs with farmers who don't need trucking.

Would you hire 1 or 2 custom cutter combines, without trucking?

Class 7 Gleaner N7s...I don't exactly look the best pulling into someone's yard/field with 30-40 year old combines and trucks and a bunch of retired farmers but it has worked

Or is this a terrible idea?

Last edited by 48MackEQT; 06-17-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
It was about 70 years ago since my dad custom combined, but he only had about one truck per combine, most of the grain hauling was done by guys he hired in the region that owned their own trucks. Some of them would follow him to the ends of the earth though and became his best friends. They never expected to get paid when it rained either.

I think he always felt the heavy trucks were a just a financial liability. That's likely why he never had a decent one around the ranch either.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
If you have just one machine often the guy you combine for can keep up hauling the grain away depending on the yield and size of machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
It was about 70 years ago since my dad custom combined, but he only had about one truck per combine, most of the grain hauling was done by guys he hired in the region that owned their own trucks. Some of them would follow him to the ends of the earth though and became his best friends. They never expected to get paid when it rained either.

I think he always felt the heavy trucks were a just a financial liability. That's likely why he never had a decent one around the ranch either.
That's kinda what I do for the most part, only they are tandem trucks with a few semis thrown in
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
If you have just one machine often the guy you combine for can keep up hauling the grain away depending on the yield and size of machine.
Kinda my idea, but will farmers actually want that? Most of the ones I cut for are in their smaller combine right beside mine
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
I would call all the producers you cut for and see if they would be willing to do the trucking. We combine for a neighbor and he does the trucking but he would not be able to keep up to two machines.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2662 Post(s)
Get to shopping for a driver, don't sugar coat this, it is a problem.

God Bless America
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
What about hiring it out, i know some big farmers in the area line up custom truckers for harvest and when it rains they can haul some binned stuff around. You can ask the farmer how he wants it done and be honest but often you find they are not interested or dont have the capacity either
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
Get to shopping for a driver, don't sugar coat this, it is a problem.
More like searching for one who wants to drive an older truck...I had found one that when he asked what he would be driving, he left right away(and angrily)...Apparently they don't like 70s/80s/90s Fords, IH, or Mack trucks....

Also there is a trucker shortage going on too here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmillfarms View Post
What about hiring it out, i know some big farmers in the area line up custom truckers for harvest and when it rains they can haul some binned stuff around. You can ask the farmer how he wants it done and be honest but often you find they are not interested or dont have the capacity either
That's kinda what I think will happen...I did that a little but when I first began with a neighbor with too many trucks and people
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
You dont meet a grain truck here that a mexican isnt behind the wheel . If I am in a bind , I will hire a semi/truck and pay him driving wages to drive mine plus load his too . If you are paying decent freight it isnt too hard to get a truck around here , come harvest time you better already have some lined up .

The most dangerous liars are those who think they are telling the truth .............The naked truth is better than any best dressed lie .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in