US farm work? - The Combine Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
US farm work?

I think its do or die now for me.
Looking for a farm that needs help, farming operations and also has off season over the road operations. Large or moderate scale.
My experience is extensive in older agricultural equipment and commercial
Applications.
Honestly, I farm with my parents and drive over the road in the off season, and working for free is too expensive for them.
(Expensive, meaning my father is a narcissist)
The cons... I am personally a wreck. Years of emotional abuse may take me a few months to actually enjoy myself.

Over the past 15 years I have been purchasing farm equipment on my own to benefit my farm, and it was all for nothing. Either I can sell the stuff or keep it, (8850 kinze and more)

I own two semis which I drive one over the road currently.

I should have left 7 years ago when he bought a brand new combine and had no idea how to pay for it... the last mental breakdown I had.
To many wasted opportunities due to ego and childish behavior in some of the worst economic times, and I am tired.

This is not a new story in the agricultural world, but unfortunately its mine.

Combine Pilot and Badger760tt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Sorry to hear this. I do feel your pain. It is pain. I won't whine about it here. Just deleted a few paragraphs. Don't see much good going into it. Keep your chin up. Amazing how things can work out when just keep going.

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
I am sure you with your experience you can find a great farm to work with.
I would hire you right now, but don’t suspect you want to move to Canada. Many mid to large size farms looking for good employees here.

Brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2903 Post(s)
8850jd it is good to hear from you again, even though it is hard to hear your update(must have been really difficult to share that).

But I would say that it is never too late to make a new start. Hopefully you find a farm where you can enjoy what you do again. The skills you have are still very much needed. Best of luck to you.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
8850jd it is good to hear from you again, even though it is hard to hear your update(must have been really difficult to share that).

But I would say that it is never too late to make a new start. Hopefully you find a farm where you can enjoy what you do again. The skills you have are still very much needed. Best of luck to you.
8850 jd BE PROUD OF YOUR WORK ETHIC. Few people know what it is like running a farm now a days, Its tough , but try to stay as busy as you can to block out the pain. As farmers most of us are programed to fix a problem when things go wrong but personal issues with family and friends sometimes cant be fixed like a broken bearing. 8850 JD I KNOW exactly how you feel , I battled sadness and depression too, to the point of learning how to tie a rope. Thank goodness my wife and my best friend help stop that feeling of self worthlessness.
Find a passion that makes you feel alive. I found playing the guitar really helped. Part of the healing process was to recognize that you cant blame yourself for the past problems. Its sounds like your an intelligent hard working guy. Most people will see through your past problems and respect your good character.
Hang in there.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
8850 try to leave your family on good terms even though there is a lot of hurt. I think they will wake up after you leave and there may be opportunity down to road to rejoin the farm. Farming can be very stressful and emotionally draining at times. If you are struggling seek out people that can listen to you and help guide you. Good to hear from you again.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I am Trying to relearn the application.

The bad part about this family thing is, yes, I would like to leave on good terms, but there is no clean way to separate my assets from the farm without involving outside legal forces.
That's the part of staying in the states, because with most of my equipment a farm that is moderately sized and also does over the road trucking aspects, I would fit right in with no real issue.
The lack of life outside of farming has done me in.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat King View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post

But I would say that it is never too late to make a new start. Hopefully you find a farm where you can enjoy what you do again. The skills you have are still very much needed. Best of luck to you.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
8850 jd BE PROUD OF YOUR WORK ETHIC. Few people know what it is like running a farm now a days, Its tough , but try to stay as busy as you can to block out the pain. As farmers most of us are programed to fix a problem when things go wrong but personal issues with family and friends sometimes cant be fixed like a broken bearing. 8850 JD I KNOW exactly how you feel , I battled sadness and depression too, to the point of learning how to tie a rope. Thank goodness my wife and my best friend help stop that feeling of self worthlessness.
Find a passion that makes you feel alive. I found playing the guitar really helped. Part of the healing process was to recognize that you cant blame yourself for the past problems. Its sounds like your an intelligent hard working guy. Most people will see through your past problems and respect your good character.
Hang in there.
I didn't learn to tie a knot, but the pistol was loaded and ready there for a while..
I dont have the support like you did.

I have also had discussions on this forum that have been used against me by the dealerships local.. part of why I quit posting. They dont like the truth, and I am tired. Most men are just tired all around.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
I think you can PM anyone of us that have posted on this thread, if you have no one else to talk to.

Brent.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Hang in there, there is always an answer, sometimes it's not where you are looking. Like was mentioned, don't be afraid to ask any of us here for help, we all know what you are dealing with, to some extent. We might not be the professional help you might want or need, but we are here for you, and being farmers, we understand.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page