The Combine Forum banner

MF 205 combine needs new home

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  361turbo 
#1 ·
Roughly 20 years back my family donated a well used MF 205 combine to the local historical society. They recently told me they had gotten a better/newer combine, and wanted to know if I'd like to have the 205 back.

I have no place to keep it and no use for it, so I told them "no". But I asked if it was O.K, if I looked for a new home for it rather than seeing it scrapped. They said that was fine.

Here's what I know:

The combine is in central Illinois - Roughly 75 minutes NE of St. Louis.

It has a 2 row 40" corn head and a 10' or 11' grain table that go with it.

They tell me that the combine runs, and they shelled corn with it in the fall of 2018. I have not driven it myself for several years.

I located one picture of it, which you should find attached. You'll notice that I added a non-stock muffler along the right side, as the thing was awfully noisy.

If another non-profit antique machinery club is interested in the thing I'm pretty sure they'd just give it to you. If a private collector want it I'll put you in touch with the people who can make a decision. But I'm certain it would be relatively inexpensive.

If a home isn't found for it I'm guessing they'll scrap it. But that decision is not up to me.

If you're interested, I'll try to check back in here over the next few weeks. Or you can email me:

rsitruss at yahoo dot com

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thought that was neat as well. Who ever decided that needed to be right next to the driver needs to be kicked in the sack! I remember my dad had a 8820 and the a/c was cold but if it was tshirt weather it never froze you out. The first year I ran it it blew a freon line. 2 days out for a new one. What a miserable sob! Never got cold during the late season tho.

#7 ·
I wonder why they couldn't keep their numbering system consistent. 405 was a pulltype version of the 410, so one could assume 205 would be a pull type as well, but no.

#10 ·
Found the info. the engine used was a Chrysler 170 cu.in. 6 cyl. The 300 used a Chrysler 225 cu.in. 6 cyl. and a optional Perkins 203 cu.in. 4cyl. The 410 used a GM 292 cu.in. 6 cyl. and optional Perkins 300 cu.in. 4 cyl. The 510 used GM 327 cu.in V8 and optional Perkins 354 cu.in. 6 cyl.

#12 ·
Covering a couple of questions -

Yes, cabs were optional. We had a pair of 205s without cabs, and a pair with cabs.

As kids, the ones without cabs were cool. My brother and I would climb up the ladder when the combine was moving. (They were incredibly slow) We could climb up over the back of the seat and sit in the hopper. We sometimes even climbed over the engine, opened the back hatch, and watch the straw walkers work.

(Yes, I know it wasn't safe. But we were expendable and usually unsupervised)

The engines on all of the ones we had were the Chrysler slant 6. They always seemed to run well. I don't recall ever having engine problems except for typical points/plugs.

The capacity was very low. I recall my Uncle once saying that you had to set a post next to the thing to make sure you were moving.

If you pushed it a little, the threshing fan housing would fill up with grain.

If you guys are interested in more pictures I'll try to dig some up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.