AgOpenGPS - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 2125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 4068 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Its great to see this kind of a project started for ag. I've been peripherally involved (as a beta tester) with a similar project for ocean navigation. That project is OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage if anyone is interested but the reason for the post is to point out what I think is one of OpenCPN's strongest features. From its earliest stages the lead developer built in a provision for what he calls Plug-ins. I don't understand anything about the programming but the concept is that the plug-ins integrate fully into the underlying software to provide enhanced functionality. Often that new functionality is hardware specific so, for example, there is a plug-in which integrates Garmin radar displays on top of the underlying nav software and a different plug-in for Navico radar because evidently the output from those two systems is somehow fundamentally different. I've been involved with OpenCPN for just over 6 years now and the increased functionality of the core software has been matched by a profusion of plug-ins over that time frame.

R.J.(Bob) Evans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 4068 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
It snowed almost a foot yesterday and cold days forecast so its looking like gonna have some free time for a while.

Bob, that is very true, and that is an amazing project! going forward i will really keep that in mind. I like the concept it can be done on any operating system. Torriem would love to see it in linux and i totally agree, but i would need to do a complete rewrite of the software in another language - and learn that language. But maybe, this will inspire someone who does know the language and go for it. Qt is the winner there.

One extremely horrible thing about ag, and i've whined incessantly about it, is the complete lack of any, and i mean zero, nothing, examples of other code, techniques, or discussions how about how many of the major techniques of precision ag are accomplished. Do they use lat/longitude or do they use UTM coordinates? No idea. How is data stored? no idea, all are proprietary binary files. How do they accomplish section control? Not a word in any book or exhaustive search on the internet. Canbus and isobus? You can't even talk about or you get sued if you put anything on the internet, and it cost 30,000$ to buy the "standard" first. Every topic it seems is that way.

Navigation and mapping like OpenCPN has tons of code, examples, projects etc and while in no way easy there are many entire sites like combine forum and bigger dedicated to that one topic. Building a drone from scratch? No problem, download all the code for an arduino, order the list of parts, hook it up. Install the ware on your smartphone and voila, a 400$ full functional drone that retails for 4000$. It obviously comes down to the number of people involved, the more there is the more residual hackers in that crowd.

But in ag, its slowly starting. Matt and Torriem are working on exciting development for bin temp and humidity stuff. Exciting! Do i want to recode and figure all that out? No way, but you can have my code, and i can have your code and others can build upon it too.

Anyway, gotta get this packaged up so others can find bugs in the machine and look over the project and throw out ideas. Thanks for listening to my rants!

BTW, just got in the mail from a new Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) that is a 9 axis gyroscope/accelerometer/magnetometer from Bosch. Adafruit has put it on a board along with an Arm Cortex processor in the chip it can do all the fusion to spit out roll pitch and yaw. Its 45$ and online is all the arduino code, windows code, and full writeup of tutorials. One huge step closer to autosteer. It's this:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-...ensor/overview

X80 and adsinaus like this.
post #13 of 4068 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
I found most of the isobus documents online a while back... dark corners of the internet. Like most standards, isobus is exhaustively documented, if you can cough up the money for the book, but like most committee-standards, the documentation is missing a lot of things (I've been told anyway), hence a lot of mostly compatible implementations among the big manufacturers, but with lots of gotchas along the way.

Personally I think isobus has been good, but if I needed to control something on an implement now I think I'd be tempted to just use wifi. A lot higher bandwidth.

You might get in touch with the gentleman who started this thread: Steering a combine via GPS He built his own autosteer some years back. I'm not sure whether he ever released code or not, but I bet he'd be happy to talk to you.

I'm still waiting for sub $1000 RTK GPS receivers to be available. I think a couple are nearly there.

Picking a language to build things in has gotten more complicated in recent years because of mobile devices. If you want to go with the most native solution, you have to use Swift for iOS, or Java for Android. Neither choice allows you to port to another platform. Microsoft recently bought Xamarin's C#-based system that allows building apps that run on Windows, Android, or iOS. I believe there's some money involved to buy that system though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 4068 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Yes i have looked at their work, also a fellow named Stef from Europe i've been emailing with. So far, no code online. But maybe once mine is up......

If Microsoft bought Xamarin, well that will be interesting. In true MS style will they obsolete it or continue it.
post #15 of 4068 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 03:13 PM

MS is actually pushing Xamarin's stuff pretty hard to mobile developers. They're integrating their tools with Visual Studio and it will probably become their standard mobile toolkit. They recognize MS lost the Phone OS game a long time ago, and this is their only chance to position C# and .NET as a dominant development platform whether you're on mobile Windows tablets or Android or iOS.

So you should probably stick with C#. Really the hard work is in the algorithms and methods you're perfecting. The language is almost irrelevant. Code can be ported/translated later if the need arises. The only recommendation I'd have would be to keep your core logic and algorithms as separate from the UI code as possible. That makes it easier to port to other platforms later (such as Android or iOS). Of course that's easier said than done. I know you're using OpenGL for coverage and overlap detection, and that's fine since OpenGL is somewhat portable on its own.

Yes getting some code out there for others to chew on would be very helpful! I've already learned a lot just from you describing how you're doing things.

As far as bin monitoring goes, that's high on my list of things I want to do and if and when I get something put together I will definitely share like you're doing.
BrianTee likes this.

Last edited by torriem; 10-15-2016 at 03:23 PM.
post #16 of 4068 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Good or bad, here it is.

https://github.com/farmerbriantee/AgOpenGPS

To download, click on the green "Clone or Download" and select "Download ZIP". It will be in your download folder (windows).

Installation isn't required, just unzip and run it right from the directory. It will create a fields directory in your MyDocuments and the setting file is created in AppData\Low\AgOpenGPS\

It will say COM99 doesn't exist and you should change in settings. Hit ok and it will run. Note, it won't do anything till you feed it an NMEA signal containing RMC. Almost any antenna/GPS receiver will work, just pick the right com port and baud rate. set the Hz to however fast the update is.

Source code is in the Source directory, obviously. Enjoy.

Last edited by BrianTee; 10-16-2016 at 11:10 PM.
post #17 of 4068 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Thanks! Will try out and give feedback after harvest is over.
post #18 of 4068 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Very interesting. Shouldn't have dropped computer programming at college. So if some smart farmers can collaborate and build their own gps systems. Wow. This is just like farmers building their own farm equipment except here cash out is little and the welding rods are lines of code and algorithms.
adsinaus and morb1lee like this.
post #19 of 4068 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:01 PM

I've downloaded a copy to play with here. Interestingly, it seems to run under Wine on Linux. Even without installing the official .NET runtime. I am going to set up a dummy gps feed to give it and see how that works. I'll post and let you know.

I tried it under Mono, but it's not working, but I didn't have time to investigate why.
post #20 of 4068 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
I've downloaded a copy to play with here. Interestingly, it seems to run under Wine on Linux. Even without installing the official .NET runtime. I am going to set up a dummy gps feed to give it and see how that works. I'll post and let you know.

I tried it under Mono, but it's not working, but I didn't have time to investigate why.
Hey that's awesome. I stuck to OpenGL version 2.1 so yes Wine should be ok. Hopefully the serial ports work, if not, i know who has the source code. all it really needs is a RMC string to work.

Really cool if it fully works under Linux. Thx Torriem!

adsinaus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page