AgOpenGPS - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 2040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 3867 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
At present I can get serial input into Wine (and it tests using a terminal emulator like putty), but for whatever reason the AgOpenGPS.exe is not able to enumerate the serial ports and thus I can not select it. To keep things simple I've assigned my device to com1. Also none of the settings such as sections, tractor, etc, seem to save for me. Some strange wine interaction perhaps. I'll do some more digging.

EDIT: So the first problem is a problem with Wine and it's mono subsystem. I created a short program to enumerate serial ports in C# and it works great on Linux with mono, but in wine, it lists nothing. Once I figure out how to get it to save settings I'm sure I can work around this issue by just hard coding the serial port in the config file or registry.

The settings issue is in Mono I think (which wine uses). I'm trying to install the official dotnet runtime in wine, which I've done before recently, but for some reason having issues tonight because I'm on a 64-bit system and using a hybrid 32-bit/64-bit installation of wine. What a mess!

Last edited by torriem; 10-17-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 3867 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
All this talk about programming in c# inspired me to sign up for a Microsoft course on the subject. Whether I ever get that far but I used to play around with Basic in school and liked doing so. My autistic son is computer savvy and thought what a great bonding experience if him and I could learn the language and make a few games or such. As well, I can understand what you guys are talking about. Besides if enough of us can open source a bunch of ag software and maybe we can tailor stuff to better suit our needs and not have to sell our first born for overpriced stuff.

post #23 of 3867 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:52 PM

Sounds good, Snapper22. Another language that might be appealing is Python. In some ways it's quicker to get going on than C#, since there's no compiler you have to run each time you make a change, and it has an interactive mode for playing with small snippets of code. Google for Python tutorial if you are interesting in that. There are lots of good tutorials out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 3867 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper22 View Post
Besides if enough of us can open source a bunch of ag software and maybe we can tailor stuff to better suit our needs and not have to sell our first born for overpriced stuff.
Without offending anybody I guess this is cool but what is the ultimate goal? Trimble, JD, and name your company charge fees for unlock codes which sucks because I believe they are excessive. Ipads and tablets are less then $1000 US whereas JD and trimble displays are $5000 + before unlocks. I get the money savings, but If I already have this overpriced stuff I probably wouldn't switch to this kind of setup. ( Not that the BrianTee would care anyway.)

Is the idea for updating older or customized equipment with new technology for fraction of the price? Or maybe a guy is running new equipment valued at $200k-800k and wants to save a little and stick it to the man. I'll pick on JD... If you buy a JD tractor with EH valve and pull an airseeder/planter with section control, blockage, etc. it would be wicked to have an Android tablet run all of it as you could save an easy $15k doing so... When this can control and monitor a Bourgault Aircart then sign me up as I despise their system.

I have a hard time thinking outside the box, but if the goal is to make this open software better then the existing setups out there and not just for money savings then I will question no more as I do not have enough creativity to make them better other then to streamline their menus and help functions.

ISOBUS is like the United Nations. Sounds good in theory, but nobody plays by the same rules and it ends up being a cluster*&&^
V535wau likes this.
post #25 of 3867 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
Sounds good, Snapper22. Another language that might be appealing is Python. In some ways it's quicker to get going on than C#, since there's no compiler you have to run each time you make a change, and it has an interactive mode for playing with small snippets of code. Google for Python tutorial if you are interesting in that. There are lots of good tutorials out there.
Thank you I will try that.
post #26 of 3867 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8850Champion View Post
Without offending anybody I guess this is cool but what is the ultimate goal? Trimble, JD, and name your company charge fees for unlock codes which sucks because I believe they are excessive. Ipads and tablets are less then $1000 US whereas JD and trimble displays are $5000 + before unlocks. I get the money savings, but If I already have this overpriced stuff I probably wouldn't switch to this kind of setup. ( Not that the BrianTee would care anyway.)
If you have to ask... it's not for you. I think the goal here is to scratch an itch, fill a personal need, really. Learn how to do cool things. It's fun and very educational. I'm not sure that competition with Trimble, Deere, etc, is really that relevant to this endeavor, though if something became good enough to actually compete, that would be a good thing. I suppose at some point freedom is a part of it; we don't want all the world's knowledge locked up in proprietary systems.

Personally, Brian's project is actually fairly immediately useful to me. I have two outfits I would love to add automatic sectional control to, and in its present state it's almost ready to step in and do this. I already have a SmartBoom on one sprayer, but I payed a lot of money for that and it's now obsolete, unsupported hardware. For a fraction of the price of the Smartboom unit, with Brian's software I can set up a sectional controller for my other sprayer that includes a nice graphics display. So yes this is very useful to some of us.

Do I need a GPS guidance system for my tractor, no not really; GreenStar works well. But I would like an autosteer for my swather. Currently the quote is about $10k. If we could get basic guidance going for a couple of grand that's a win for me.

This isn't the first time you or someone else has questioned the motivation for doing this sort of work. And that always surprises me. I guess I come from a completely different background (academia). Different strokes for different folks. Fortunately farming offers a lot of different kinds of hobbies.
adsinaus, chance2 and 8850Champion like this.
post #27 of 3867 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 11:55 PM

Brian, I got things working better in Wine. I had to ditch my 64-bit wine and go with straight 32-bit, and installed the official dotnet45 runtime. I had to do a registry tweak to get my pass-through serial ports to enumerate in windows, but they do now. Unfortunately, my fake serial device doesn't work (Wine/win32 says it's not a valid serial port) with AgOpenGPS, though I can get it to work with other software like putty... But the real serial port works. I'll try it on my laptop in a tractor when I get a chance.

I'm not sure if this is quite what I think it is, but there's a C# library and some software for Arduino to control the Arduino from inside of C#via the serial link. Arduino Playground - Csharp .
post #28 of 3867 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8850Champion View Post
Without offending anybody I guess this is cool but what is the ultimate goal?
As my yoga instructor says.... live in the moment. Namaste.

If you find an application for it, great. If you learn something, great. If it inspires a new idea, please share it. Beyond that, we are just having fun learning.
post #29 of 3867 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
Brian, I got things working better in Wine. I had to ditch my 64-bit wine and go with straight 32-bit, and installed the official dotnet45 runtime. I had to do a registry tweak to get my pass-through serial ports to enumerate in windows, but they do now. Unfortunately, my fake serial device doesn't work (Wine/win32 says it's not a valid serial port) with AgOpenGPS, though I can get it to work with other software like putty... But the real serial port works. I'll try it on my laptop in a tractor when I get a chance.

I'm not sure if this is quite what I think it is, but there's a C# library and some software for Arduino to control the Arduino from inside of C#via the serial link. Arduino Playground - Csharp .
Yes I have, its the next step. While there are lots of ways to do this, the auto connect is really nice. Darn serial ports, it can be very frustrating. Always a problem, especially to go Bluetooth SPP.

The other challenge is tablets generally only have a one usb. Either everything goes thru the arduino including the nmea or a powered hub that may or may not work. The other problem is many tablets won't charge while using USB. The road is bumpy yet.
post #30 of 3867 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper22 View Post
All this talk about programming in c# inspired me to sign up for a Microsoft course on the subject. Whether I ever get that far but I used to play around with Basic in school and liked doing so. My autistic son is computer savvy and thought what a great bonding experience if him and I could learn the language and make a few games or such. As well, I can understand what you guys are talking about. Besides if enough of us can open source a bunch of ag software and maybe we can tailor stuff to better suit our needs and not have to sell our first born for overpriced stuff.
If i could make a suggestion, it would be get to know the Arduino. You will learn structured programming and you can make so many neat projects with your son. The development environment is absolutely free and there are a million billion projects on line, with amazing tutorials, all the source code and so very much help in huge forums. Once you learn one language, and Arduino is specifically designed to give you success in learning, move on to other languages.

Do a search on "arduino" and let the adventure begin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page