AgOpenGPS - Page 379 - The Combine Forum
 2161Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3781 of 4131 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_elias View Post
Can someone with AoG experience do a quick check for me of my vehicle and tool measurements? I'm not confident that I'm correctly understanding all of the settings. Attached are screenshots and a paint drawing of the layout of our sprayer. The antenna is slightly ahead of the front steering axle, about 5", hence wheelbase (203") + 5" = 208". I don't know what to put in the min turn radius box. I think the two lengths on the tool tab doesn't apply to a rigid tool? Our sprayer is 121' 6.7" wide but we want 120' tracks so +20" overlap should do that?
Thanks.

Looks correct to me. For min turn radius there really isn't a right answer. The bigger the value the less trouble you will get into on sharp turns, I would try about 45' and go from there. Make a circle about 50' in diameter, see what the steer wheel angle is and set it there as well in steer settings. Easily played around with numbers. Too sharp of a turning vehicle especially with auto headland and obstacle drive around only causes more problems then solved. Also the wheel base can be played around with - affects the gain of stanley and PP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 4131 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Looks correct to me. For min turn radius there really isn't a right answer. The bigger the value the less trouble you will get into on sharp turns, I would try about 45' and go from there. Make a circle about 50' in diameter, see what the steer wheel angle is and set it there as well in steer settings. Easily played around with numbers. Too sharp of a turning vehicle especially with auto headland and obstacle drive around only causes more problems then solved. Also the wheel base can be played around with - affects the gain of stanley and PP.
Is your recommended 45' min turn radius based on the width of my sprayer? The sharpest I can manually turn left or right are 57' & 56.5' diameter circles, that's about 36.6 degrees according to the old steer wizard. Does that information change what I should use for the min turn radius? I don't mind a detailed answer as I'm trying to understand how all the measurements affect the steering performance.

AoG was steering down the road today at over 10 MPH. It seems to work decent when it's close to the line but if I approach the line at 45 degs it steers hard the opposite way and holds it there. This is after I manually do a tear-drop turn-around at the end of my test road. I will have to tinker a while more yet before I have a good handle on how the parameters all affect the whole system.

Is playing with the wheelbase different than the look ahead?

post #3783 of 4131 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello everyone first post
I’ve recently been looking into using a star fire 300 and upgrading the precision signal to sf1 through one of the John deere 6rs there’s only one problem I have encountered is an adapter for the 300 to make it a usb connection.

Anyone tried this or know a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3784 of 4131 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I'm hoping to try the Stanley method early tomorrow morning while spraying but I won't have time to do any testing before hand.

Does anyone know what to expect for change in steering settings when changing from PP to Stanley?
post #3785 of 4131 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig buchan (scotland) View Post
Hello everyone first post
Iíve recently been looking into using a star fire 300 and upgrading the precision signal to sf1 through one of the John deere 6rs thereís only one problem I have encountered is an adapter for the 300 to make it a usb connection.

Anyone tried this or know a solution?
If I understand you, you're saying the StarFire 3000 has a RS232 output, and you want to know how to convert that to USB to attach to AOG on the tablet, correct? If so, all you need is a USB to RS232 Serial adapter cable. There are lots to choose from on Amazon. Or I bet you can get them at Best buy. You may need a null modem adapter too, depending on the pinout your cable from the StarFire 3000 uses.
post #3786 of 4131 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
If I understand you, you're saying the StarFire 3000 has a RS232 output, and you want to know how to convert that to USB to attach to AOG on the tablet, correct? If so, all you need is a USB to RS232 Serial adapter cable. There are lots to choose from on Amazon. Or I bet you can get them at Best buy. You may need a null modem adapter too, depending on the pinout your cable from the StarFire 3000 uses.
The SF300 has a Deutsch connector with 12 pins. JD delivers them in CAN mode. Think you need to switch to RS232 mode and then make an adapter cable. SF300 is egnos only, not well suieted for autosteering. The SF3000 is a different ballpark.
torriem likes this.
post #3787 of 4131 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_elias View Post
I'm hoping to try the Stanley method early tomorrow morning while spraying but I won't have time to do any testing before hand.

Does anyone know what to expect for change in steering settings when changing from PP to Stanley?

I've separated the settings for each on their own tab. StanLee is pretty simple, just 2 settings that don't do too much. Top one affects the heading correction, bottom one the non linear gain of arctan of distance over speed.
post #3788 of 4131 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The sf 300 can be plugged into a greeenstar monitor and be changed from egnos to sf1 or sf2 I was just wondering where to get a connection to make it from a 12 pin plug to a usb
post #3789 of 4131 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig buchan (scotland) View Post
The sf 300 can be plugged into a greeenstar monitor and be changed from egnos to sf1 or sf2 I was just wondering where to get a connection to make it from a 12 pin plug to a usb
Is the pinout on the SF300 the same as the SF3000 and iTC units?

It's been a while since I made up my cable, but if I'm not mistaken, pin 3 is RS232 out (TX) and pin 10 is RS232 in (RX), and pin 7 is ground. I just took the tractor's wiring harness and just spliced into those 3 wires right at the starfire unit on the roof and ran them around and inside the back window and to a dsub 9 serial port connector. This can then connect to a USB to Serial adapter.

Here's a document that describes the pinout for the receiver: https://www.deere.com/assets/pdfs/co...rnessGuide.pdf, page 14 if I'm not mistaken.

John Deere does sell a wiring harness that you can use if you don't want o make your own.
post #3790 of 4131 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Barn
Some questions - I have searched but have not been able to find the answers - sorry if they have already been asked/answered.

I have my Autosteer PCB set up - its a version 1 board.

I have connected a toggle switch to the Steer connector and a spring switch to the imp connector on the PCB. The Autosteer PCB is connected to my laptop via USB cable to the Audrino Nano on the PCB.

I have uploaded the Autosteer Code to the Nano.

With AgOpenGPS running on my laptop and the Settings | Ports screen open I can see a figure in the "From Auto Steer" change 3 to 2 if I activate the spring switch (Work Switch) and from 3 to 1 if I activate the Steer Switch. This changes to 0 if both the Work Switch and the Steer Switch are activated. This suggests that comms between the PCB and AgOpenGPS are working.

However when I am in the main screen things seem to be different.

If I activate the work switch the btnSectionOffAutoOn toggles between on and off with the switch but painting does not occur. Is this by design? Shouldn't the work switch turn painting on and off?

With the Autosteer switch nothing seems to happen. The btnAutoSteer remains unchanged.

What have I done wrong?

Also, when attempting to simulator none of the keyboard functions seem to work:
L - Rest
K - Speed up
J - Stop
H - slow down
B . turn left
M - turn right
N - Zero steering

What am I doing wrong here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page