Rtk on a budget - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Very cool. Does the mobile reach unit emit standard NMEA strings via a serial port (TTL I'm guessing) then? That's what I'm hoping.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I'm hoping thatit will be able to get it outputting nmea strings. After spraying a paddock today without any gps or foam marker (yes I did say foam marker, stupid antiquated POS didn't work either.), a 13ha paddock with 2ft tall grass to be cut for silage tomorrow, ended up spraying 20ha and I'm not even sure I got it all, couldn't see any wheel tracks so fairly safe to say major disaster but it'll be all good. I'm going to get this thing going soon but it's a case of waiting for all the bits and pieces to arrive. That's the only bad thing about ordering cheap gear out of china is waiting for it to arrive (if I need something straight away I will use local people and quite happily pay the premium).

My chuwi hi12 tablet arrived yesterday which was good. It seems pretty good for a ~$350 tablet. 64gb, 2usb ports plus mini usb for charging. Only wifi but I can hot spot it to my iphone. It's dual boot so comes with windows and andriod so can load it up with apps etc.

Just wait for enclosures and cables etc to arrive and then get it all put together and it will start getting real. Might even be heading down the arduino track for a few different projects but that's for another thread.
Sorry for the bad flash reflection.
Cheers

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (434.3 KB, 42 views)
post #23 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

End shot showing connectors on chuwi hi12, 2 usb, 1 micro usb, mini hdmi?...should do the trick...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 07:27 AM
X80

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Cool tab...i better order me an xmas present!...well another one...i bought a new mig as well...

Ant...
post #25 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Whoops!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1563.jpg (472.1 KB, 62 views)
post #26 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:29 PM
X80

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Some of the chinese tablets have microsoft surface pro 3 screens, when microsoft move up to next model they must auction off the design etc...or get paid per a license agreement..to some of the chinese tablet producers...they dont have to pay for research eyc so its a good deal when servicing there market and a bit more lower end price market....i hope they get the surface pro 4 screen as it has 4 way split.

So then you could do the following all at once.

1. Guidance screen
2. Watch Donald Trump victory speeches on you tube
3. Surf the combine forum
4. Observe weather radar

Thats effeciency right there !!!

Ant...
post #27 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 06:17 PM

The tablet I bought to run AgOpenGPS on is an Intel CPU that runs normal Windows 10. I can run it in Tablet mode it does the apps full screen, or in halves or quadrants. In desktop mode it's normal overlapping windows. In some ways it's the best of both worlds. I am not a Windows person but I was actually quite impressed how usable Windows is on a tablet, and I like being able to switch back and forth between tablet mode and desktop mode.

So I don't think it matters that it has the same screen as the Surface Pro 3. I think this is all just a matter of Windows 10 itself. Though the SP3 screen would be nice and super high res, running in HiDPI mode. Whereas my tablet is just normal 1280x720. My complaint with it is that since it doesn't support HiDPI mode, it's hard to get my fonts to be readable without applying a custom scaling factor. And the wifi is really crappy on it too. Flakes out all the time and won't connect until I reboot my router, which is odd since none of my other devices or computers have a problem connecting to my router.

Last edited by torriem; 11-15-2016 at 06:56 PM.
post #28 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoopa_au View Post
Emlid reach kit
The quality of those antennas look really questionable to me. In 2013, I bought some low cost RTK hardware from OptimalSystem.DE. The receivers use the NVS NV08C-CSM module. The antennas were a Tallysman timing antenna. Hagen Piotraschke from OptimalSystem packaged the receivers in a nice water resistant enclosure with good connectors and also sent cables for everything.

For software, I used RTKLIB running on cheap laptops. I had some difficulty getting a fixed RTK solution but when I finally got it, the accuracy of the system was amazing. For a wireless link between the rover and the base laptop, I used the tethering on my cell phone. The amount of data being transferred is quite small and as long as I had good cell service, that worked fine. Using a mobile cell booster made a big difference when cell service was poor.
radar likes this.
post #29 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 07:52 PM

That's awesome, farmingsk. So many geeky farmers here. Love it. I've looked into RTKLIB in the past. how difficult was it to make it all work, software-wise? Did you have to do anything custom?
post #30 of 406 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
That's awesome, farmingsk. So many geeky farmers here. Love it. I've looked into RTKLIB in the past. how difficult was it to make it all work, software-wise? Did you have to do anything custom?
I was not using the output for guidance but for mapping and surveying. I wrote some custom software in Python to take the output from RTKLIB and record it or display it for survey purposes. I'm not sure if there is a way to make a NMEA-like data stream from the RTKLIB calculated position. So, depending on what you want to do with the RTKLIB output, there might be custom programming involved.

Getting the receiver modules configured, setting up serial ports, configuring the zoo of RTKLIB options took quite a lot of time. I would not expect the average farmer to have any hope of figuring it out. If anyone has capable receiver hardware and wants to try RTKLIB, I'm happy to share what settings I was using.

However, I was really excited to see that the potential is there. We need hardware companies to make receivers that output raw measurements. There are a few of them out there now. We need software, preferably open-source, that takes the raw measurements and computes a position. RTKLIB really does work and it is amazing that it is basically the result of one person's effort. I'm sure companies like Trimble and Hemisphere have vastly better software algorithms but the prices they charge for RTK drastically limits its application.

BrianTee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page