Rtk on a budget - Page 37 - The Combine Forum
 225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #361 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_1 View Post
So I finally got everything mounted and ready to test on the tractor today. Mounted the C100 in the middle of the roof. What would you define as stable when it comes to the heading? When driving, the raw data coming from the C100 seems to have about 3 deg total (+/- 1.5) of noise or jitter on it. This is from visually watching the readout and no additional filtering. I'll have to take some time and log the C100 data for a while to get a better feel for it.

That's not the best is it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I think we can do better with dual GPS.

dairytech likes this.
post #363 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Agreed. Having 2 Antennas is an option that will give good headings. Will we then need a 3rd antenna for the guidance location info, or do the math to make a virtual centerline between the antennas?

For the C100, I need to play around with it and look at the raw data more. I was expecting a much more stable heading. Testing at home it was stable to ~0.1 deg. Eith
@brian : Is there a way to log the values AgOpen is receiving. I've played with the Log NMEA setting and can't figure out what it does (or where the log files are stored).
I've put together a small script to log the Compass values before sending to AgOpen and I want to see what they look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_1 View Post
Agreed. Having 2 Antennas is an option that will give good headings. Will we then need a 3rd antenna for the guidance location info, or do the math to make a virtual centerline between the antennas?

For the C100, I need to play around with it and look at the raw data more. I was expecting a much more stable heading. Testing at home it was stable to ~0.1 deg. Eith
@brian : Is there a way to log the values AgOpen is receiving. I've played with the Log NMEA setting and can't figure out what it does (or where the log files are stored).
I've put together a small script to log the Compass values before sending to AgOpen and I want to see what they look like.

You need to add the line : if (mf.isLogNMEA) logNMEASentence.Append(sentence);

just before "return sentence". its line 316 in the CNMEA.cs.

It save every 4 minutes or so and puts a log text in the field directory. Also turn on logging, top main menu/Display/LogNMEA. Whatever sentence comes in, it will log whether it is used or not. I will include the line in future update. Will be soon.
dairytech likes this.
post #365 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
To close the loop on the C100....Looks like it's time to put it in the bin of parts or on Ebay. I may move it to another location to see if it makes a difference, but doubtful on that.

Getting heading while in motion seems to be a very difficult problem. Here's what a "Military" grade sensor does on a tractor in motion. I'mm going to get in touch with KVH and make sure there aren't any setting or calibrations I'm missing. Again, Static it looks great. In motion, looks like there's about a 1.25Hz noise frequency, plus maybe another ~.1Hz frequency. Could probably filter it out, but then would loose the quick response and be no better than the GPS itself. This drove the Autosteer crazy.

The idea of 2 GPS antennas is looking better. Just have to find a way to protect them from tree limbs, etc in my small Ohio fields that are all bordered by tree lines or woods.
Attached Images
File Type: png C100 Stability Testing.PNG (111.7 KB, 11 views)
OrkneyEoin likes this.

Last edited by JB_1; 04-30-2019 at 09:54 PM.
post #366 of 379 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Sorry for the late reply.
By mistake I removed the subscription to this thread and I didn't get a notification.
We got the 1W XBee radios but the simpleRTK2B board can't supply enough power and we need to lower the power via XCTU software.
We are working on a high power simpleRTK2B version that will be able to supply enough current to these type of radios (including 3G modems).
First prototypes should be ready in a few months and production is expected during Q4.
We will keep you updated when we have something to show
torriem, Rammy and p00qwerty like this.
post #367 of 379 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Does anyone have a rough idea on how much data per hour of use is used to get rtk on a Emlid reach unit. Fields seem to be getting further from home.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #368 of 379 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Given that the Reach RS+ can transmit at most 19 kbit/s over the LoRa radio, that's at most 8 MB (megabyte) per hour (plus ntrip overhead).

If I want to transmit everything the F9P can throw at me, that's at least double that, like 16 MB/hour, again plus the overhead of NTRIP. Still pretty reasonable I think.
post #369 of 379 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Thanks, Torriem. That amount of data will be OK on my cell plan. I will probably only use it on some of the fringe locations.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #370 of 379 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
http://deepsouthrobotics.com/2017/04/20/spilling-the-beans-on-rtk/

Has anyone read this article? Any feedback?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page