Rtk on a budget - Page 40 - The Combine Forum
 261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #391 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
3x Arduino shields, 2x XBee or MikroE - Primary interface pins wired, secondary ones exposed as a patchable block to either allow point-to-point connectivity between shields, or to the STM32F7 MPU
CAN Bus
SD Card
Ethernet via WaveShare plug-in

Also working on a Base stations integrating a ZED-F9P, LoRa, OLED. This is self contained stand-alone implementation, just apply 5V, the MPU in the radio manages the RTCM3 transport, ZED configuration either with fixed coordinates or self-survey.

Also have a functional ArduSimple stack with OLED off an STM32 LoRa DISCO board operating as a Base. Reasonable effort antenna and placement, seen 5KM throw.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SR1PrintablePinSheet.jpg (390.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20190114_214519_shrunk.jpg (202.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20190114_222626_shrunk.jpg (188.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20190602_184055_shrunk.jpg (311.6 KB, 12 views)
wvca, Rammy, MTZ8302 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by clive1; 06-02-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_elias View Post
They won't stack as nicely...
Bending a couple of UART pins does get the job done.
That's what I was hoping for!👍

post #393 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_elias View Post
That's what I was hoping for!
I just wish the Arduino pins were thicker and squarer, basically have to wire-wrap or solder as even the schmartboard jumper wires won't bite.

The ArduSimple test contraption. Here orientated in a North-South, was doing repeatability testing using a lazy-susan ring clamped into the work-mate. Ground plates around 1m separation, radio and stack powered by 5V USB battery pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190310_143923_shrunk.jpg (901.2 KB, 17 views)
torriem, JB_1, WTalen and 3 others like this.

NFA Crew - Viking-Sorcery
Team uBlox - Team STM32

Last edited by clive1; 06-02-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
What antennas are you using?
post #395 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Brian needs ubx training....

It's not that different, the sentences, although requests are required, are very close to nmea except not all text but a mix of text and data - a lot like udp currently works. It's just really fiddly programming as usual.

Every Frame starts with a 2-byte Preamble consisting of two synchronization characters: 0xB50x62.

A 1-byte MessageClass field follows. A Class is a group of messages that are related to eachother.

A 1-byte MessageID field defines the message that is to follow.

A 2-byte Length field follows. The length is defined as being that of the payload only. It does not include the Preamble, Message Class, Message ID, Length, or CRC fields. The number format of the length field is a Little-Endian unsigned 16-bit integer.

The Payload field contains a variable number of bytes.

The two 1-byte CK_A and CK_B fields hold a 16-bit checksum.

The UBX dual Antenna thing is already done. I read UBX NavPosLLH to get Lat + Long + hight to calculate heading and roll. Alternatively I calcualte heading from two GGA positions.

For keeping it simple for AOG I create a $PAOGI sentence of it, so AOG has to parse only one sentence to have position, speed and heading.

Three questions came up:
Is the PAOGI sentence correctly processed, as there might be two fields for heding: one from GPS and one from IMU, or did I missanderstand this?
What heading source do I have to activate in AOG settings? I tried to add "headingHDT = headingTrue;" to CNMEA #436 and selected heading by HDT.
What happens, if I can't calculate heading, and the field stays empty?

I wrote it for the ESP32

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But for this board, you have to "move" the pins for RX1/TX1 and Uref for both ardusimple.

The basis of the code was WEder's NTRIP client. You can transfer the code for adruino. The idea is, to do this work outside AOG to have a real roof top unit, that delivers all data.

The config for both ardusimple stays the same, you may activate UBX NavPOSLLH to calculate roll. It sends NTRIP from AOG to both F9P, or uses the internal ESP NTRIP client (by WEder). Simply connect both RX1/TX1 from the Ardusimple to different arduino/ESP pins.

The only problem is, that I didn't have time to finish. So feel free to take the code.

https://github.com/mtz8302/AG_GPS_ROOF_UNIT_ESP32
Clod.fr and kareldew like this.
post #396 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive1 View Post
I just wish the Arduino pins were thicker and squarer, basically have to wire-wrap or solder as even the schmartboard jumper wires won't bite.

The ArduSimple test contraption. Here orientated in a North-South, was doing repeatability testing using a lazy-susan ring clamped into the work-mate. Ground plates around 1m separation, radio and stack powered by 5V USB battery pack.
The smartboard jumper to move the IO pins would be a good thind, I allready suggested to them weeks ago.
My setup:

2. nd test

post #397 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2372 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTZ8302 View Post
The UBX dual Antenna thing is already done. I read UBX NavPosLLH to get Lat + Long + hight to calculate heading and roll. Alternatively I calcualte heading from two GGA positions.

For keeping it simple for AOG I create a $PAOGI sentence of it, so AOG has to parse only one sentence to have position, speed and heading.

Three questions came up:
Is the PAOGI sentence correctly processed, as there might be two fields for heding: one from GPS and one from IMU, or did I missanderstand this?
What heading source do I have to activate in AOG settings? I tried to add "headingHDT = headingTrue;" to CNMEA #436 and selected heading by HDT.
What happens, if I can't calculate heading, and the field stays empty?

I wrote it for the ESP32

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But for this board, you have to "move" the pins for RX1/TX1 and Uref for both ardusimple.

The basis of the code was WEder's NTRIP client. You can transfer the code for adruino. The idea is, to do this work outside AOG to have a real roof top unit, that delivers all data.

The config for both ardusimple stays the same, you may activate UBX NavPOSLLH to calculate roll. It sends NTRIP from AOG to both F9P, or uses the internal ESP NTRIP client (by WEder). Simply connect both RX1/TX1 from the Ardusimple to different arduino/ESP pins.

The only problem is, that I didn't have time to finish. So feel free to take the code.

https://github.com/mtz8302/AG_GPS_ROOF_UNIT_ESP32

This is exactly what Ardusimple needs to put together. To answer the questions i will have to look at what was written, it has been a while and i forget how it all works. There are so many combinations!
post #398 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
What antennas are you using?
The ones in the picture are ArduSimple's L1/L2 design, for scale the metal plates are 4.5x4.5" electrical plate covers, which the magnets work on, and represent about the minimal size ground plane I'd shoot for. It was mainly constructed as a PoC to affirm that it was viable and the firmware/radio all functioned repeatedly in a static rig.

I do have a box of uBlox ANN-MB also and I've also used those mounted front and back on the cab roof of my truck and done some real-time dynamic testing in a large parking lot.

For a more practical system I'd probably look to use some Taoglas bulkhead mount devices in a port/starboard dog-bone configuration.

Team uBlox - Team STM32
post #399 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
This is exactly what Ardusimple needs to put together
I think they are trying to avoid putting a micro-controller down on the board, or creating a board with "$400" worth of components in a single pass.
Whatever CPU they pick it will be disliked/disfavoured by a sizable faction, or people want it to be python or arduino, etc.. Not a battle anyone will win.
At this stage I'd favour a two ZEDs on a shield, with internal crossing of UART2, but I think they are dabbling at the moment, and don't want to have to babysit everyone's support needs. Their pricing model is aggressive, and needs everyone to be able to carry their own weight.

Nick's Shield Runner provides for the most comprehensive mix-n-match solution. We picked a CPU we like, so at least two of us will be happy..
One PoC I want to build would try using NEO-M8P's for secondary and tertiary antenna configurations, with a ZED-F9P driving the primary L1/L2

Currently waiting on some ZED-F9K samples (ADR) to see if they add anything useful to the mix.
Nick1 likes this.

Team uBlox - Team STM32
post #400 of 400 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Great to see that nothing is taken for granted ! You guys should open a new thread with dual antenna DIY RTK positionning + heading. It would be great to have a "smart" dual gps receiver that can output MNEA on different interfaces (Bluetooth, serial, ...) input RTCM from different source (Cellular or radio ou even NTrip client on computer) and that could be displaced from vehicules (A bit like the Paradyme from AG LEADER). I'm not into programming but this is again a great step forward !

BrianTee and Nick1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page