LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1871 of 2024 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Ortner View Post
Brian, the acutal agopen repro contains only one sketch which runs with ads.

i think thats not so good because the mainly users are driving without it..

Can you be more specific on which repo you are referring to and also what the problem is?
He means the Arduino sketches in your main AoG repo only have the differential analog code.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1872 of 2024 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_elias View Post
He means the Arduino sketches in your main AoG repo only have the differential analog code.

Well can't be that. Only the comment says differential - I suppose that is good to correct. Or do you mean using A0 perhaps?

Code:

steeringPosition = ads.readADC_SingleEnded(0);    //ADS1115 Differential Mode                            

steeringPosition = (steeringPosition >> 3); //bit shift by 3  0 to 3320 is 0 to 5v  

steeringPosition = (steeringPosition - steeringPositionZero - (XeRoll * Kd/10 ) );   //read the steering position sensor 

if (SteeringRightIsNotPositive) steeringPosition *= -1.0;    //steering position and steer angle

post #1873 of 2024 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Yeah, he means it only has the ADS, it needs A0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1874 of 2024 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_elias View Post
Yeah, he means it only has the ADS, it needs A0.
Yes, most of the user do not use the ads. So there should be an option a0 or ads .

Like autosteer switch by weder.

or you just insert weders sketch .. (autosteer_switch)

Questions on agopengps? Just look into the wiki at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Thanks to all contributors!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Andreas Ortner; 07-07-2019 at 10:00 AM.
post #1875 of 2024 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Ortner View Post
Yes, most of the user do not use the ads. So there should be an option a0 or ads .

Like autosteer switch by weder.

or you just insert weders sketch .. (autosteer_switch)

My thoughts are using 10 bits would be the worst mistake building autosteer.
post #1876 of 2024 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
So Brian, you think using the ADS1115 is a hudge improvement over just connecting the WAS to the Arduino?
Not using the ADS is not done if you want a accurate functioning system, is that what you mean?
post #1877 of 2024 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_1 View Post
So Brian, you think using the ADS1115 is a hudge improvement over just connecting the WAS to the Arduino?
Not using the ADS is not done if you want a accurate functioning system, is that what you mean?

Well the Arduino a/d convertor is only 10 bits. that means you get 1024 counts across the total movement of the sweep of the Wheel Angle Sensor. Theoretically that is about 20 counts per degree or about .1 degrees per bit (100 degrees turn over the counts available). Practically however you end up using around 3 volts and with jitter of the a/d convertor its really only 9 bits or 512 counts which works out to around .2 or even .3 degrees of actual resolution - add in the problem of some delay and positioning and the thing wiggles back and forth a half a degree. Add all the digital noise within the Arduino, its very crappy drifty reference voltage and its even worse. Not the best at all - in fact terrible.

The ADS is 15 bits (yes its a 16 bit chip capable but we are only using a single polarity) so we start with 32,768 counts losing a bit with jitter that's 16,000 ish counts or around .006 degrees per bit. We take and seriously divide that and bitshift it 3 positions which becomes 5000. Now the gain of the ADS is 2/3 of the input signal so at worst case its around 3000 counts - or .03 degrees. So we end up with a positioning system around 20 to 30 times better that is rock solid and accurate.

That's why I can't recommend at all using the arduino a/d convertor, and if you want good steering just use the ADS.
post #1878 of 2024 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thank you Brian, you convinced me, will order one right away,

Simon
post #1879 of 2024 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hello again,

I was finally able to get by auto steer board built (I'll have to share some pics sometime!) but I am having a few issues. First, all of the wiring is correct I have double and triple checked it so I think most of my issues are either in AoG itself or in the Audrino sketch. So first I have input showing in AoG from the WAS but not from the MMA chip. Is there a particular setting I have to change in AoG, also I made sure it was enabled it (The MMA) in the setup zone of the sketch. (I am not currently using the BNO055 if that is at all important.) Second issue is that I do not seem to have output from the IBT_2. It has 5v at the proper pin on the logic side and 12v at the relay side but the steering motor does not receive power what so ever. Also the auto steer switch does not seem to do anything in AoG. These issues may just be some simple settings in AoG that I missed.

As always, thank you guys so much for the advice and help thus far!
post #1880 of 2024 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgrocholl View Post
Hello again,

I was finally able to get by auto steer board built (I'll have to share some pics sometime!) but I am having a few issues. First, all of the wiring is correct I have double and triple checked it so I think most of my issues are either in AoG itself or in the Audrino sketch. So first I have input showing in AoG from the WAS but not from the MMA chip. Is there a particular setting I have to change in AoG, also I made sure it was enabled it (The MMA) in the setup zone of the sketch. (I am not currently using the BNO055 if that is at all important.) Second issue is that I do not seem to have output from the IBT_2. It has 5v at the proper pin on the logic side and 12v at the relay side but the steering motor does not receive power what so ever. Also the auto steer switch does not seem to do anything in AoG. These issues may just be some simple settings in AoG that I missed.

As always, thank you guys so much for the advice and help thus far!
As Brian mentioned in another thread, we are on our own when using IBT_2, so i guess you use switch or button sketch from https://github.com/Coffeetrac.
When using that sketch you get +5 v on D5 from arduino (when driving more than 1 km/h and clicking autosteer icon) to activate IBT-2 on L_en and R_en.

Yes you must check the box in AOG beside dogs2 / imu( look in ports / gps/imu)
You donīt need Bno55

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page