Open Grade - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2383 Post(s)
morb1lee, do you know and understand the algorithm of how the cut/fill/slope is calculated?

I'm going to use a completely adjustable straight line for determining cut/fill - at least for now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Slope%= 100(rise/run), Slope Mile= 1000(rise/run)

Cut/Fill is determined by

(Sum All Survey Elevations - (#Survey Points x Lowest Elevation))Survey Density in units squared) for total yardage, then a lot more mathmagicianery to determine what points are to be cut, filled, and 0 slope or slope% adjust. Something along the lines of Y1, Y2, Y3 sum average then minus that in reverse calculation from above to determine Cut, and any Positive or negative value assigned to Fill as either additional or removed soil. Been a while since i worked with that software though

Sorry if that's confusing :/

BrianTee and Wedge like this.
post #23 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
went and looked at a system on D8 yesterday and talked to operator. He didnt like using his system as a reference but liked using it as a lightbar with a full 3d cut/fill map loaded into computer. Talking to him it seemed that the reason he would rather use a laser than his gps were remembering elevation, we need to be able to have true elevation display and multiple zeroed elevation points displayed on screen if desired. And being able to have multiple planes setup at once and haveing those plans on a curved line, example if you were to build a tile outlet terrace you would slope 1 % on first 100 ft and .33 % on next 3 100 ft sections and last section go to 1.5 % and have these all saved as a guidance line that could be loaded into all dozers on job. I feel like theirs more i should say but not sure how to communicate it. I think we should be able run as a indicate system or go out while ground is froze (like now) and setup the job and save it. What about loading google sketchup files as our job files?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:11 PM

I think there is a reality here that those systems are extremely complicated - its why they cost thousands. Mind you i said the same thing about AgOpenGPS. I'm really new to this stuff and haven't even ran or even seen one in operation. That said, the latest version below, start small and build on it is my usual MO. It has all the requirements, a side profile of cut, blade cut level, a slope or cut line reference, a distance the cut is away from the reference line. I've only spent a couple days on this so pretty good time-performance value.

For many farmers, this is all that's needed. Just knowing where the blade is, where the cut line is - even controlling manually.

I'm excited to use this as is for slough draining and some cuts. With my RTK i'm pretty sure this is better then a stick, my eyes, and a sharpy pen!

Wedge likes this.
post #25 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Barn
a preliminary job file -should- be able to have say.. a google earth kml file super imposed onto it, just so that the user can see where the cut/fill/tile line is going to wind up...

regards, warren
post #26 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Well I'm blown away. That's a very workable solution in almost no time.

Blade control would be no different than auto steer through a hydraulic valve only your tracking the verticle.

Out of all our "precision Ag" nothing has paid as well as drainage.
BrianTee and Wedge like this.
post #27 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvca View Post
a preliminary job file -should- be able to have say.. a google earth kml file super imposed onto it, just so that the user can see where the cut/fill/tile line is going to wind up...

I already do that with flags! great idea. I can just change the variable from flags to the contour points.

Supposed to be doing kitchen backsplash - the scientist is going to slaughter me!
post #28 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Well I'm blown away. That's a very workable solution in almost no time.

Blade control would be no different than auto steer through a hydraulic valve only your tracking the verticle.

Out of all our "precision Ag" nothing has paid as well as drainage.

And that is the beauty of open source software, written once it can be refactored for many other uses.
post #29 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Barn
do the kitchen stuff now ...
it's snowing here, minus 17 Celsius, lol
spring is a log way off yet, should have two months anyways ?
BrianTee likes this.

regards, warren
post #30 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Brian: I think your right expensive systems are complicated were looking for simplicity, when i start thinking i just ramble into all the posabilitys. this operator also mentioned that his indicate system had no tilt comp they just put those on full auto systems. So were your at now do you think this would work for terracing were we would be cutting across the grade line i guess does the grade spread out to the sides of the line. Actually for terraces you would want to log a single point every 100 ft when surveying a terrace and auto connect between these points rather than a continuous line.
thanks for your hard work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page