The Combine Forum

The Combine Forum (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/)
-   Technology (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/31-technology/)
-   -   3.9 cummins engine (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/31-technology/323961-3-9-cummins-engine.html)

llosand 04-09-2018 01:53 AM

3.9 cummins engine

1 Attachment(s)
any body have any luck with a machine shop weld and plane down a block where a head gasket blew out and made a gouge in between to piston holes in a cummins engine and that it lasted like a new block,the head has a matching gouge in it to but not as deep thanks for any ones replies

MF cowboy 04-09-2018 02:09 AM

I wouldn't even consider trying to weld that.
Chances of success are minimal.
Be best to look for a used engine, or good used head and block.

chance2 04-09-2018 02:25 AM

It can be done, but the old timer I knew with that skillset passed away about 10 years ago.

hihi962 04-09-2018 02:49 AM

Oh man, that's a tough one, problem is it will warp, and possibly also make the cylinder not round, due to the combo of both heating the cast sufficiently and the welding itself.
Being the head is gouged as well.. new engine time me thinks.

Worth a try, and mic it after, will need to be decked most likely. Since it's cheap to try, but guy needs to have good experience (old timer).
Most likely won't work, but I'd try it.
I tried to weld an orbital motor crack last year, failed miserably, no load even.

SWFarmService 04-09-2018 03:34 AM

Ouch!
It had to have been pretty hot to have done that so I would suspect the head to be junk.
Since I'm thinking you need a different head I would start shopping for another engine. Spendy project I know.

Was that a turboed engine?

hihi962 04-09-2018 04:14 AM

I don't think it got hot, just a ton of air and fuel whistling through a blown head gasket..

I wonder if they can nickasil that? I had a piston explode one time and the walls had massive gouges in them, they nickasiled that hole and the motor ran 100% after that hole was cleaned up! My head was hammered up too, but there was enough meat left to mill it down.

To nickasil stuff isn't too expensive, they somehow electroplate pure nickel to the cast with some sort of splatter method, and it is solid I tell ya! Ask if that is an option.

llosand 04-09-2018 08:15 AM

no it did not get hot it just started to miss and back fire when it happened yes it is a turboed engine on a 276 verastile tractor with a snow blower on that had a work out the last little while

X80 04-09-2018 08:42 AM

It will buff out....

Ant...

TSIPP 04-09-2018 09:15 AM

Dad used a high nickel rod on a JD 5010 forty years ago, I think it's still running.

I'd mig it it's a lot cooler than arc

offroadnt 04-09-2018 09:25 AM

We'd probably weld it and get it planed.