lightweight autonomous bot build - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2418 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Someday, somewhere, someone will put a stop to farmers making their own, believe me. The biggest drawback will be liability. Someone makes one that has a glitch and kills someone, it will be game over. I wish I was wrong, but I can see it happening.

Kind of the whole purpose of this thread though Kevlar. The 4650 is cool and all, but yup, that sucker will kill you in an instant, or a family member, or a kid. There was no way I would have it run at canola palooza without a buddy behind the wheel. Nothing went wrong, he just watched soccer all day - but omfg can you imagine that thing tearing thru the grounds driving over attendees and tents!!!! Just like drones, autonomous ag equipment will have legislation to make it near impossible. My thoughts anyway. As long as my tractor is the only one in Canada running around, no big deal. But as soon as seedotrun actually gets dusty in an actual field instead of just farmshows, things will change quickly.

I also think autonomous ag will be the financial ruin of at least a few companies, most probably thru liability. Completely agree.

Small bots I think are the real innovation, we just need to figure out uses for them - we are farmers and not university academia - which gives us a distinct advantage. At least when it hits you, you might only get a sprained angle or a bruise, not a funeral.

dairytech likes this.

Last edited by BrianTee; 07-31-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Test mounting of the wheelchair motor and 3d printed pulleys.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DkvPkg5XgAAtyMV.jpg-large.jpg (623.5 KB, 17 views)
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
We built this in college for a competition. The base is a powered wheel chair. And notice the wood box in the middle, that is the standard wheel chair joystick with a x and y motor mounted to it to control steering and forward reverse.

At the end it goes off path using GPS to find the last waypoint. It has sonar on the front to stop before running into anything.

https://youtu.be/TqU8pDFYy6I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
We built this in college for a competition. The base is a powered wheel chair. And notice the wood box in the middle, that is the standard wheel chair joystick with a x and y motor mounted to it to control steering and forward reverse.

At the end it goes off path using GPS to find the last waypoint. It has sonar on the front to stop before running into anything.

https://youtu.be/TqU8pDFYy6I
Nice bot Case. So I guess you wouldn't have used a physical steering angle sensor, like on the full sized tractors? How did you know what direction it was pointing in? Gyro?
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Some more rules for the project.

1. For a 2000 budget, someone else should be able to reproduce the vehicle.

2. No complicated machined parts or expensive parts scavenged from other machines bought cheap off eBay. The build has to be simple and repeatable so only parts that can be easily and cheaply bought now and in the future. Pillow bearings, New ATV wheels, New pit bike parts, box section steel, etc.

3. Laser cut or machined parts would have to be costed into the budget at reasonable cost, this knocks out expensive machined components like in rule 2. But laser profiles and simple lathe parts can work if they help simplify the build.

4. Designed to last 50 years with replacement of wear parts/electronics.
BrianTee likes this.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quick update.

I have pieced together a chassis to prototype with. Trying not to get too bogged down with making it perfect and instead trying to learn what works first. Gone for one wheel drive that is also the wheel that steers. Next job will be to get the motor mounted and figure out a quick way to get an potentiometer on the steering for measuring steering angle.

https://www.thecombineforum.com/foru...146501&thumb=1
https://www.thecombineforum.com/foru...146503&thumb=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sprayer chassis.jpg (511.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DnZbS8vX0AUveYS.jpg-large.jpg (1.18 MB, 13 views)
Beerwiser, BrianTee and kareldew like this.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavztheouch View Post
Nice bot Case. So I guess you wouldn't have used a physical steering angle sensor, like on the full sized tractors? How did you know what direction it was pointing in? Gyro?

I believe we just got the heading from the yellow handheld GPS that was mounted up high, kind of like most GPS systems do today. Since staying on an exact straight line and heading wasn't critical we didn't necessarily need a steering angle sensor. We just kind of used a wiggle motion. My memory sometimes fails me that far back.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
gavztheouch, I checked out Autodesk Fusion 360 and I don't see a free option unless you are referring to the educational versions? I have been playing around with Onshape (which is free but limits the number of projects) but it's paid up price/yr is ~1000. Fusion would be quite a bit cheaper paid up anually vs Onshape. Perhaps you got in on a deal that has previously been pulled... KB
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

I like the look of this 3d printed string potentiometer, could possibly use it for steering angle measurement?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page