lightweight autonomous bot build - The Combine Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
lightweight autonomous bot build

I have been building a lightweight field based rover to spray Dockens and possibly Buttercups in my hay fields. I would like to be able and let the bot loose in the field and do its thing spraying weeds day and night.

Hoping to find some time to complete the machine over the winter to hopefully test this spring in the UK.

Currently debating the use of an electric gear motor like a wheelchair motor or a small Honda petrol engine ie 3 to 5hp. Batteries are the future but you can get a Honda or Chinese clone for roughly £100 were as the batteries alone will be close to £500 and still will not provide too much run time.

Rear drive is an old motocross bike wheel.

I also have an old toro Greensmaster lawnmower I might use as a back up plan.

Last edited by gavztheouch; 07-29-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Nice, can't wait for you to have it up and going with pictures. Batteries are the future, but I agree Chinese knock off fuel powered is better suited right now. If you look around china has some bicycle gas conversion engines around 100 cad 50ish pounds. They might work well for you. Will try to get a link when I am near a computer.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Cool! I've also started on same small concept. The thought of being driven over by the 4650 JD isn't very appealing. After all, the vehicle is irrelevant, its the software.

Am using an old hydrostatic ride on mower and turning it into a tricycle style - easy steering - with motor/transmission right at the back since there won't be a person on it for traction. Forward and back is a single actuator with position control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Nice, hopefully as more builds start to emerge we can share and discover a lot of ideas. Think it will be a good future if we can build and maintain our own bots instead of being at the mercy of John Deere and the like.
BrianTee likes this.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Saw this the other day...

Can't seem to post the video, keeps saying unavailable so add www. to the front of youtube.com/watch?v=oxpZ1c7TsPI
apm likes this.

Last edited by BrianTee; 07-29-2018 at 05:07 PM.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 08:14 PM
apm

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Electric is a good drive option, we run small 3 phase motors with 1 phase generator though a VFD. Allows full fwd/rev & speed/torque contol direct from microprossor. No messy hyd and everything is cheap off shelf or from China.
For sprayer a VFD and electric pump gives full pressure control so no flow control valves required.
For steering an electric actuator with built in position sensor.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

At risk of doing something just because you can with 3d printing I made this helical gear last night trying to experiment with gears rather than a rubber wheel. I would need to print a large outer gear part to fit on the steering wheel with holes to attach it with zip ties.https://www.thecombineforum.com/foru...145509&thumb=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gearmotor.jpg (232.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: png image.png (163.2 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by gavztheouch; 07-30-2018 at 03:22 AM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Nice work on the gear, what did you use to sketch it up? That would have taken me 3 times as long to desgin then the actual print time.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwiser View Post
Nice work on the gear, what did you use to sketch it up? That would have taken me 3 times as long to desgin then the actual print time.
Not as hard as you think, its actually a plugin inside fusion 360 that auto generates gear tooth profiles, really handy. I used this tutorial. Highly recommend Fusion 360 to make your designs, its currently free if you use it for your hobby or a startup that turns over less than $100,000 I think.

Fusion 360 also runs on the cloud, so if for example there was a project to collaborate on, everyone could have access to the project and modify their part of the design in real time.

Beerwiser, BrianTee and WTalen like this.

Last edited by gavztheouch; 07-30-2018 at 02:15 PM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavztheouch View Post
Nice, hopefully as more builds start to emerge we can share and discover a lot of ideas. Think it will be a good future if we can build and maintain our own bots instead of being at the mercy of John Deere and the like.

Someday, somewhere, someone will put a stop to farmers making their own, believe me. The biggest drawback will be liability. Someone makes one that has a glitch and kills someone, it will be game over. I wish I was wrong, but I can see it happening.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page