Ntrip Client for AGOpenGPS - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
The m8p and the m8t are only l1 receivers. The max distance to a base is 10 km.

Zed-f9p is l2 receiver with Integration of rtk engine. Working 20-30 km from base.

A f9 could be both - a base and a rover.

Ardusimple offers lora solution for building own base station an send to rover.

The last firmware update did enable a function called moving base. So,you can use 2 of them on the tractor and build your own dual GPS receiver providing precise heading and roll.

Best is to have a pair of them. One as base one as rover.

The advantages of having gps,glo and gal is very big.
Cold start fix in max 2 minutes -refixes after a second.

The price of ardusimple if groundbreaking for l2 Hardware. Other hardware is price x10

Coming back from another lecture with many enthusiastic farmers. Then integrated ntrip client would be a big big benefit to newbies on rtk ag gps.

Just connect the f9 trough usb and have fun...

Questions on agopengps? Just look into the wiki at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Thanks to all contributors!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Andreas Ortner; 01-17-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Why not just run radios? I mean for the farmer that has to have their own station.

Cell has much better coverage for hilly land, thru valleys etc.

Ropecope, depends on where you live and proximity to those services, and cost of course for access. Around here, not much. If a few farmers got together in an area, they could access the correction for peanuts.

post #13 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Ortner View Post
The m8p and the m8t are only l1 receivers. The max distance to a base is 10 km.

Zed-f9p is l2 receiver with Integration of rtk engine. Working 20-30 km from base.

A f9 could be both - a base and a rover.

Ardusimple offers lora solution for building own base station an send to rover.

The last firmware update did enable a function called moving base. So,you can use 2 of them on the tractor and build your own dual GPS receiver providing precise heading and roll.

Best is to have a pair of them. One as base one as rover.

The advantages of having gps,glo and gal is very big.
Cold start fix in max 2 minutes -refixes after a second.

The price of ardusimple if groundbreaking for l2 Hardware. Other hardware is price x10

Coming back from another lecture with many enthusiastic farmers. Then integrated ntrip client would be a big big benefit to newbies on rtk ag gps.

Just connect the f9 trough usb and have fun...
I am not keen on the lora solution, because the FieldBee base and rover GPS L1 set, I got a year ago is with built in Lora, but when I drive behind the neighbours house or my 1 ha forest (both only 500 m from base) GPS foes from Fix to float. They were supposed to reach at least 10 km but not.
So I am going to set them up to ntrip, but first I must place a Wifi router near the base, we have very good Gsm coverage here so no problem receiving ntrip on phone in tractor.
So YES ntrip in AOG will be great.
torriem likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
I plan to set up my base station to send to an NTRIP caster and a 900 MHz radio simultaneously. I also plan to have my roving units be switchable between radio and bluetooth serial. That way if my machine is working on another nearby farm that's out of reach of my radio, I can still get corrections through a cell phone using the Lefebure NTRIP client app.

Another reason the F9P makes an ideal base station is that it outputs rtcm3 over serial port natively. So you can plug the serial TX straight into a radio modem or into ESPrtk to the net. The M8T requires a computer running rtklib to get RTCM, as I understand it.

I think a 1 watt 900 MHz radio would be ideal for this. Should reach 10 km or more quite easily. The units I have on my desk right now are 9Xtend units, which I understand are spread spectrum too, so even if others are using 900 MHz in the area, it shouldn't conflict. I think the units that replace the 9xtend are the Pro SX radios.
WTalen likes this.
post #15 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Ortner View Post

This is all true. However, none of these low-cost units can drop into an existing autosteer from any major brand and give it RTK. But if you want to roll your own with AOG, yes this is amazing stuff.
post #16 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
I plan to set up my base station to send to an NTRIP caster and a 900 MHz radio simultaneously. I also plan to have my roving units be switchable between radio and bluetooth serial. That way if my machine is working on another nearby farm that's out of reach of my radio, I can still get corrections through a cell phone using the Lefebure NTRIP client app.

Another reason the F9P makes an ideal base station is that it outputs rtcm3 over serial port natively. So you can plug the serial TX straight into a radio modem or into ESPrtk to the net. The M8T requires a computer running rtklib to get RTCM, as I understand it.

I think a 1 watt 900 MHz radio would be ideal for this. Should reach 10 km or more quite easily. The units I have on my desk right now are 9Xtend units, which I understand are spread spectrum too, so even if others are using 900 MHz in the area, it shouldn't conflict. I think the units that replace the 9xtend are the Pro SX radios.

We put a 10W amp on our base station radio and can get signal on a hill top 60 miles away. Definitely not kosher but haven’t seen the signal police yet.

We’re spread out about 35 miles and with the base in about the middle we have complete coverage.

Can’t say the same about cellular and to boot there’s cellular data dropouts quite often during peak use. Lots of pockets there’s just no cellular.

Then there’s the data packages. We’ve got 15 rovers during harvest so 15 data plans??? Suckstell gets enough from me as it is!

It totally makes sense where you can log into a network in more of the populous areas to go NTRIP though.
torriem likes this.
post #17 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
We've always used radio as well for last 15 years. One investment and done. Move the base around is the only downside, but we also can't single base with too big of a transmitter either. Pretty sure the switch would be turned off for us in short order. You are fortunate Joe.

I still think radio is the best way to go, but even the local machinery dealer here is setting up RTCM via cell, and the charge annually is the typical 1K$. Same price as the Ardusimple entire rtk kit.

Given the portability of the Ardu and small battery, having a post/socket to set it on per field is quite convenient as well
WTalen likes this.
post #18 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I think the main benefit with Ntrip would be for Europe user. We have a national RTK network which works as a VRS, and you do not need to have your own base station. This is good, if you have only few rovers, the prescription for 1 year costs 50 €, so it is not too much, and since it is VRS (Virtual Reference Station) it work pretty good - all of the geodetic guys are working that way.
So yes, it is good that you have coverage all over the country and not to worry about base station, but you have to pay for data on sim-card, and also for prescription of those RTCM corrections.

Also, chceck the base stations of those providers, because as far as I know F9P need to have either MSM4 , MSM5, or MSM7 sentence of RTCM corrections to work.
post #19 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:06 PM

NTRIP has a market in North America. DigiFarm's entire business model is on supplying corrections via cellular internet. Their fancy Beacon device is nothing but a high-power bluetooth serial adapter. Their iOS software is an NTRIP client just like Lefebure NTRIP client (that's what they actually use on Android) that pushes the RTCM over the bluetooth serial link.

As near as I can tell F9P uses the same RTCM messages as Trimble. So I expect many of the NTRIP streams will work with the F9P.
post #20 of 158 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
NTRIP has a market in North America. DigiFarm's entire business model is on supplying corrections via cellular internet. Their fancy Beacon device is nothing but a high-power bluetooth serial adapter. Their iOS software is an NTRIP client just like Lefebure NTRIP client (that's what they actually use on Android) that pushes the RTCM over the bluetooth serial link.

As near as I can tell F9P uses the same RTCM messages as Trimble. So I expect many of the NTRIP streams will work with the F9P.
rtcm is an international standart. but some gps receivers are divas like the new sf6000 - they dont like streams from non jd-bases.

according to: none of these low-cost units can drop into an existing autosteer from any major brand and give it RTK.

why not?

nmea is a output standart for every receiver. the hard part is to find the connector and the pinout. eg you can use a simple ttl to rs232 converter to feed your tractor...

Questions on agopengps? Just look into the wiki at
. Thanks to all contributors!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page