AgOpenGPS - Autosteer PCB - Page 35 - The Combine Forum
 328Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #341 of 381 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hello,

Waiting for the reception of the componants ordered for starting to bluid my own autosteer, I read all this very instructive topic. I have a few questions about the design of the diffrents boards.

It seems that on all boards design I saw, the ADS1115 is implemented on the board. On the wiki it is advised "If you use the ADS analog to digital converter try to place it as close to the wheel angle sensor as possible.". I suppose that most of the users will install the board in a box inside or on the top of the tractor cab : not "as close at possible of the wheel".
It mean that finaly it's not a big problem if the installation does't complie with the wiki advise ?

I see that on the Brian design that there is a 5V regulator dedicated to the WAS : is there a specific technical reason to supply it with a dedicated regulator and not put it on the same 5V regulator than the orther componants ? Perhaps it's explain in the topic and I miss it ?

At the end of my reading I was a little bit lost between all the boards designs : lots of boards designs realised and with a PIN assignement different from "autosteer_switch_full" or "autosteer_button_full" schematics from the wiki, meaning that it need a differents arduino code than those provided in "Module" folder from AOG.
So I have some difficulty to identify if there is a design that is compatible with the componant that I order to directly buy a PCB and use it for my prototype. And if any design are directly corresponding, witch one is the closest to my need to use it as a baseline to modify it for making my own design.

For the Brian design, I supposed that the most up to date is the one on GitHub and the needed associate Arduino code is the one provided in the package ? I open the schamic : it doesn't include the BNO (I understood that Brian use the Brick 2.0) and the MMA is supply with 3.3V (the one I order is supply with 5V).
For the ropecope design, I am a little bit lost witch one is the most up to date between the differents version and witch arduino code use with ?

Part I already order : Adafruit BNO055, Adafruit MMA845, Adafruit ADS1115 and a voltage regulator card based on LM2596 for prototyping on breadboard.
For the motor controler, I hesitated between the cytron and IBT 2, but with I read here that the IBT 2 is more suitable I one day I want to make an hydrolic steering.

I hope thaht in a few month I could post a good result in the new "AGOpenGps stories"
Thank,

Math

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #342 of 381 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Math View Post
Hello,

. On the wiki it is advised "If you use the ADS analog to digital converter try to place it as close to the wheel angle sensor as possible.". I suppose that most of the users will install the board in a box inside or on the top of the tractor cab : not "as close at possible of the wheel".
It mean that finaly it's not a big problem if the installation does't complie with the wiki advise ?
That should be removed from the wiki. Use twisted pair wire or twisted pair shielded wire from the sensor to the ADS and you will be fine.

post #343 of 381 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
I see that on the Brian design that there is a 5V regulator dedicated to the WAS : is there a specific technical reason to supply it with a dedicated regulator and not put it on the same 5V regulator than the orther componants ? Perhaps it's explain in the topic and I miss it ?

At the end of my reading I was a little bit lost between all the boards designs : lots of boards designs realised and with a PIN assignement different from "autosteer_switch_full" or "autosteer_button_full" schematics from the wiki, meaning that it need a differents arduino code than those provided in "Module" folder from AOG.
So I have some difficulty to identify if there is a design that is compatible with the componant that I order to directly buy a PCB and use it for my prototype. And if any design are directly corresponding, witch one is the closest to my need to use it as a baseline to modify it for making my own design.

For the Brian design, I supposed that the most up to date is the one on GitHub and the needed associate Arduino code is the one provided in the package ? I open the schamic : it doesn't include the BNO (I understood that Brian use the Brick 2.0) and the MMA is supply with 3.3V (the one I order is supply with 5V).
For the ropecope design, I am a little bit lost witch one is the most up to date between the differents version and witch arduino code use with ?

I hope thaht in a few month I could post a good result in the new "AGOpenGps stories"
Thank,

Math
Brian's PCB design has its own dedicated code here in the BasicAutoSteerPCB on github.

I believe the reasoning for the dedicated 5V for the WAS was because this is crucial to have a stable signal and I think another reason was to prevent too much current draw through a linear voltage regulator causing excess heat. I'm only guessing this as this is not something I'm very good at. I don't mind being corrected

I'm excited to see your finished project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #344 of 381 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello,

Waiting for the reception of the componants ordered for starting to bluid my own autosteer, I read all this very instructive topic. I have a few questions about the design of the diffrents boards.

It seems that on all boards design I saw, the ADS1115 is implemented on the board. On the wiki it is advised "If you use the ADS analog to digital converter try to place it as close to the wheel angle sensor as possible.". I suppose that most of the users will install the board in a box inside or on the top of the tractor cab : not "as close at possible of the wheel".

Just run wires to the sensor, put the output to the High and ground to the Low on the ADS. Wiki shouldn't say that.

A/D conversion needs a nice quiet powersupply. So the easiest/best thing to do is for the WAS and any other device like it is to just use a nice stable linear reg.

I just uploaded the latest PC board. Included is the arduino code. I'll be ordering one shortly as well and test it, there were a few issues with the first version (always is). The parts list is in an excel spreadsheet, strongly recommend to get exactly what is there - otherwise it either won't fit, or is the wrong voltage, or simply won't work.

Part I already order : Adafruit BNO055, Adafruit MMA845, Adafruit ADS1115 and a voltage regulator card based on LM2596 for prototyping on breadboard.
For the motor controler, I hesitated between the cytron and IBT 2, but with I read here that the IBT 2 is more suitable I one day I want to make an hydrolic steering.

Either motor controller will run either the motor or the valves. Motor uses the full H_Bridge and valves each use 1/2 of the H_Bridge each.

Thank,

Math

I was hoping to get more of this done before seeding, but alas time is always short. No matter which design you build, be encouraged that it is dirt cheap to build any one of the designs. The purpose of the basic is to be able to order the parts exactly, load the ino, and have it work. The priceless part is all the things you will learn along the way. Ask away, its a tricky project - but can be made with success.
Kaupoi, dairytech and kareldew like this.
post #345 of 381 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
A little change on the PCB
I added an 5V encoder connector,
8 pins for the IBT2 driver, you can connect very easily with a flat ribbon cable 8 pin (thanks to Weder) only I'm not sure about the orientation of the connectors, What do you think?
And I increased the power supply holes and Motor Convertor 12/24v - 2.8mm

There are two PCBs one with directly connected MMA on the PCB and the other with MMA and BNO connectors, you can put an extener, etc.
and you have the MMA and BNO adapters in the directory

https://github.com/ropecope/PCB-Auto...wer-Supply-AiO
Attached Images
File Type: png AutoSteerAiO top.png (244.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: png AutoSteerAiO (BNO-MMA connector) top.png (242.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg flat.jpg (13.0 KB, 297 views)
Clod.fr, Weder, Tooki57 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by ropecope; 04-29-2019 at 08:37 AM.
post #346 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hello,

Thanks a lot for all your answer, it's more clear for me now.

Just 2 last questions :

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW896 View Post
That should be removed from the wiki. Use twisted pair wire or twisted pair shielded wire from the sensor to the ADS and you will be fine.
The shield of the wire, you ground it on both side of the cable ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
A/D conversion needs a nice quiet powersupply. So the easiest/best thing to do is for the WAS and any other device like it is to just use a nice stable linear reg.
Ok I agree. But for me the ADC also need good voltage reference so I would have expected to find a dedicated power supply for the ADC. But I take look on the ADS1115 and I saw that it has an internal voltage reference : I suppose it's why he don't need a particular stable power supply ?

Thank,

Math
post #347 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 AM
apm

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
The shield of the wire, you ground it on both side of the cable ?
Math
only ground 1 end of a shield, otherwise it becomes a ground loop and can introduce noise into the circuit.
WTalen likes this.
post #348 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apm View Post
only ground 1 end of a shield, otherwise it becomes a ground loop and can introduce noise into the circuit.

Only ground 1 end and it becomes an antenna Ground shield at both ends but first ensure that both spots are at ground potential. And if that is impossible, best to use no shield at all. (At least that is the latest thinking)
WTalen likes this.
post #349 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Only ground 1 end and it becomes an antenna Ground shield at both ends but first ensure that both spots are at ground potential. And if that is impossible, best to use no shield at all. (At least that is the latest thinking)
Shielding best practices is of great interest to me well beyond just this project. Do you have any references to where "the latest thinking" you mention comes from? I like to read everything I can about this subject.
post #350 of 381 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairytech View Post
Shielding best practices is of great interest to me well beyond just this project. Do you have any references to where "the latest thinking" you mention comes from? I like to read everything I can about this subject.

Comes from working in medicine in ICU, CCU, Operating rooms etc where 20 uA will kill a patient using internal ECG for example. Often it is confusing to compare shielding to grounding, but a ground is to achieve equal potential, whereas a shield is to attenuate EMI.

I'll try looking for something online.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page