AgOpenGPS - Autosteer PCB - Page 36 - The Combine Forum
 315Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #351 of 358 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Comes from working in medicine in ICU, CCU, Operating rooms etc where 20 uA will kill a patient using internal ECG for example. Often it is confusing to compare shielding to grounding, but a ground is to achieve equal potential, whereas a shield is to attenuate EMI.
This is why I am interested. We work with the difference between grounding and shielding all the time. If a dairy facility does not follow strict best practices for grounding AND shielding we can have problems with equipment that relies on data communication, RFID readers, and with what the industry calls stray voltage. When grounding AND shielding is corrected for a problem facility, the comm and RFID equipment starts working properly and cow health and production can improve substantially.

WTalen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 358 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Some updates from my project:
  • Received the PCBs, parts and created the first one
  • Placing all the parts by hand and soldering them is not too much fun
  • Ethernet is not working, forgot to connect one "wire". So I need a "version 2.1".
  • CAN is not tested (yet).
  • A "load test" on the VNH7070 has to be done. I expect no problems since I'd done them with version 1 already, and this PCB has thicker copper.
  • The IMU LSM9DS1 seems to be quite ok after one does hard and soft iron correction. But I may need to move it. currently it is placed on the edge near the RS232, but if I put some metal near the IMU (e.g. a teaspoon) - like a RS232 connector and a cable would - there is a deviation >10. So I think about placing the IMU under the F9P. I guess the influence of the PCB can be removed with calibration and the distance to external influence would be greater.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0544.JPG (2.71 MB, 39 views)
kaanakgser and Tooki57 like this.

Last edited by doppelgrau; 05-18-2019 at 06:49 PM.
post #353 of 358 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

I used this (https://appelsiini.net/2018/calibrate-magnetometer/) approach for hard and soft iron compensation.
Not the most perfect approach, but very simple, so it can be done inside the ESP32 with no big problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #354 of 358 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

More news: With a "nice hack" I was able to test Ethernet too (see the photo attached). Now everything is tested, some minor bug removed, some cleanups...
If I do not find any new problems, I will order new PCBs in the next days and build some boards after that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0545.JPG (87.6 KB, 36 views)
post #355 of 358 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

More delays coming: Just before I ordered the "2.1" PCBs, I got the mail form ardusimple that they have now the simpleRTK2Blite boards that fits in the XBee-Slot of the "normal" simpleRTK2B.
If possible I want the PCB able to support NTRIP + heading without external, connections neededso I currently wait for more information (works with the current setup, or needs some modifications or difficult since both uarts of the simpleRTK2B are not enough and there is a need to connect to the other receiver as well)

Last edited by doppelgrau; 05-27-2019 at 02:30 PM.
post #356 of 358 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Got some information from ardusimple:

• If you use an LR kit with corrections coming over XBee, you only need to connect to 1 UART. This UART will give RTK position + heading, but only in UBX protocol
  • If you use NTRIP server, you will need 2 connections, one to send corrections to simpleRTK2Blite, and another one to read RTK position+heading in UBX protocol.

So I have to do a (small) redesign to free up two pins on the esp32 for an other UART that can be connected to the "XBee-Module". Means a second (or one larger) port expander is needed. (An ESP32 has so many IOs, and still not enough ...)
post #357 of 358 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
The latest basic pcb Rev#2. I think I got the basics with plenty of extra pads for whatever including connections for the DOG2.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2019-05-30.png (288.5 KB, 32 views)
post #358 of 358 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

No additional port expander, a new uart on the right (between USB and RS232) that can be used to connect a cable to the RTK2Blight. (And moved a few parts since the last picture)

But only one status LED, not sure (yet) if that's enough or I want a second port expander just for LEDs
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg mainPCB.jpeg (624.9 KB, 31 views)
BrianTee and ghabers like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in