AgOpenGPS - Autosteer PCB - The Combine Forum
 370Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 457 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
AgOpenGPS - Autosteer PCB

Hi,

after Brian mentioned it and there had been already some PCBs in the autosteer-thread, I wanted to start an own thread, since I currently plan to design a PCB myself.

My goal is to reduce the "cable clutter". Only the steering angle sensor, the GPS-Anenna, the motor and of course power should be cables (and the additional RS232 GPS output if used).

Current idea:
  • As microcontroller an ESP32 WROOM dev board (connected using pin header)
  • GPS with the ardusimple F9P (connected via pin header, secured with PCB-distance holder)
  • Power regulator on the "main PCB" for 3,3V and 5V
  • serial out for GPS-data (MAX3232)
  • Outputs for autodrive (TPL7407LA - 12V 0,5A)
  • Inputs for workswitch, autosteer button, counter (future use)
  • wheel angle sensor input (ADS1115) - with a jumper for 0-5V or a linear potentiometer (and a good reference voltage)
  • roll with a MMA 8452
  • no heading, since that would be useless inside the cabin with all the steel and electric nearby?!
  • motor driver with one or two H-bridges (e.g. VNH7070ASTR)
  • if some IOs are needed for the autodrive-output or status LED a MCP23016T

Software: "steal" and modify from weder/coffeestrack
  • Ntrip-client (internet from tablet or router)
  • GPS out over Wifi or Bluetooth
  • "normal" autosteer, IMU (roll) and the autodrive relais-inputs over wifi.

Some open questions:

• Should the board be designed for 12V (9-15V) input, or for 24V input voltage (so dcdc-converter for 24V for the motor and the board)?
    In that case a third "internal voltage" would be needed for 12V (for the autodrive outputs), but that could be the reference voltage for linear potentiometer the same time, so no big difference except a bigger regulator.
  • How much input protection is needed (I'd say some ESD for AutoSteer and work switch, since there is human interaction everyday)
  • Should a bno055 be placed on the board, even it's inside the cab with all the steel an electric currents?

FarmerDave73 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 457 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Here you have a couple of combinations, I designed it on the basis of Weder and BrianTee schematics
https://github.com/ropecope?tab=repositories
Maybe somebody help...

You may need to change the title to the AGOpenGPS PCB
because it has more components than just an autosteer.

Last edited by ropecope; 01-17-2019 at 05:17 PM.
post #3 of 457 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgrau View Post
Hi,

after Brian mentioned it and there had been already some PCBs in the autosteer-thread, I wanted to start an own thread, since I currently plan to design a PCB myself.

My goal is to reduce the "cable clutter". Only the steering angle sensor, the GPS-Anenna, the motor and of course power should be cables (and the additional RS232 GPS output if used).

Current idea:
  • As microcontroller an ESP32 WROOM dev board (connected using pin header)
  • GPS with the ardusimple F9P (connected via pin header, secured with PCB-distance holder)
  • Power regulator on the "main PCB" for 3,3V and 5V
  • serial out for GPS-data (MAX3232)
  • Outputs for autodrive (TPL7407LA - 12V 0,5A)
  • Inputs for workswitch, autosteer button, counter (future use)
  • wheel angle sensor input (ADS1115) - with a jumper for 0-5V or a linear potentiometer (and a good reference voltage)
  • roll with a MMA 8452
  • no heading, since that would be useless inside the cabin with all the steel and electric nearby?!
  • motor driver with one or two H-bridges (e.g. VNH7070ASTR)
  • if some IOs are needed for the autodrive-output or status LED a MCP23016T

Software: "steal" and modify from weder/coffeestrack
  • Ntrip-client (internet from tablet or router)
  • GPS out over Wifi or Bluetooth
  • "normal" autosteer, IMU (roll) and the autodrive relais-inputs over wifi.

Some open questions:

• Should the board be designed for 12V (9-15V) input, or for 24V input voltage (so dcdc-converter for 24V for the motor and the board)?
    In that case a third "internal voltage" would be needed for 12V (for the autodrive outputs), but that could be the reference voltage for linear potentiometer the same time, so no big difference except a bigger regulator.
  • How much input protection is needed (I'd say some ESD for AutoSteer and work switch, since there is human interaction everyday)
  • Should a bno055 be placed on the board, even it's inside the cab with all the steel an electric currents?

12 volt, would be my suggestion. Those convertors can run pretty hot so good to exclude from the case.
BNO, definitely not.
Make sure pinouts work for ethernet, I'm sure this is already done. All need to do is plug in the ethernet card and hook up the cable.

If everything is in the box, then minor such as the steer switch.
I would also suggest, make people conform to the board, don't get bogged down with making it fit everyone's need. Software can be changed and uploaded, a board not so much.

Maybe a bit of a prototype spot on the board, extra pads to connect etc, but I would hope there is only 1 main version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 457 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Sounds good so far, the VNH7070AS is able to split into half bridges, so also hydraulic valves could be managed.
Have seen at some newer Tractors a third Valve which completely disconnect the pressure from the 2 PWM valves, so a second VNH7070AS would be a good idea.

(Also some additional valves for "reaction" or Open Center could be handled without additional hardware.

Maybe optionaly the powering of the ADS could be disconnected in order to connect it with the tractors 5V to avoid tractor faults if the preinstalled sensor is also used by the tractor itself.
WTalen, apm and p00qwerty like this.

Last edited by Weder; 01-18-2019 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 457 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Make sure pinouts work for ethernet, I'm sure this is already done. All need to do is plug in the ethernet card and hook up the cable.
An LAN8720 for the integrated MAC in the ESP32, or did you have some other Chip in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Maybe a bit of a prototype spot on the board, extra pads to connect etc, but I would hope there is only 1 main version.
Yeah, I guess a few IO-Pins on a pinheader for "future use" won't be a problem and a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weder View Post
Sounds good so far, the VNH7070AS is able to split into half bridges, so also hydraulic valves could be managed.
Have seen at some newer Tractors a third Valve which completely disconnect the pressure from the 2 PWM valves, so a second VNH7070AS would be a good idea.
ok, so I plan with two VNH7070AS, if only a motor is used the outut could be bridged to reduce the (thermal) load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weder View Post
Maybe optionaly the powering of the ADS could be disconnected in order to connect it with the tractors 5V to avoid tractor faults if the preinstalled sensor is also used by the tractor itself.
Is that still a problem, if you use the differential measurement feature?
post #6 of 457 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
An LAN8720 for the integrated MAC in the ESP32, or did you have some other Chip in mind?

I was so focused on the Nano, The question doesn't make sense - but maybe it does.

The benefit of the nano and the encj60 is you just plop the ethernet down first instead and then put the nano on top. Ethernet that way takes up no board space.

Is there something similar for the ESP32?

700 ◊ 700
post #7 of 457 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I’m really a fan of the ESP32.
For the design might it be useful to use a ready platform. I would suggest Adafruit feather. There you can switch to another chip, if the ESP32 won’t be there in some years. Additionally add-ons like Ethernet are easy by stacking in a feather wing. The cons are: its more expensive (5,- extra) and not all GPIOS are out.

For the general installation I would do a

roof unit:
ESP32 + F9P + BNO + MMA + 5V Power supply
WiFi for the NTRIP, UDP IMU signal, Bluetooth or Ethernet for GPS (NMEA)
We can use a waterproof housing (15x15x6cm) and put the antenna on top. So the only cable would be power. Additionally we can add a Battery and a charge controller so it’s a mobile unit for finding landmarks.

Separate Steercontroller:
ESP32 + ADS + IBT + 12->24 stepup
Wifi for UDP steerdata

Separate Section control via WiFi UDP

So if using WiFi and Bluetooth, no cable except of power to the Computer.

The software for the ESP32 and the code for AOG is already done/in testing…..

All units are simple in wiring by taking I2C.

Just my 2ct

Greeting Matthias
kareldew likes this.
post #8 of 457 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

My idea was to avoid a roof-unit to avoid the problems (and costs) to get everything waterproof (only the antenna is exposed to the weather) and avoid communication problems if the roof is made of metal.

Of course, that "limit" the mobile usage of the GPS receiver.
post #9 of 457 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:48 PM

post #10 of 457 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
My idea was to avoid a roof-unit to avoid the problems (and costs) to get everything waterproof (only the antenna is exposed to the weather) and avoid communication problems if the roof is made of metal.

Of course, that "limit" the mobile usage of the GPS receiver.
I have to go outside, because there is no space inside. For the steercontroller I hardly found a place for the ITB. Vineyard tractor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in