Ardusimple RTK - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2456 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Is CAN out of the question? Just notice some of the newer stuff is handling the positions over CAN now.

You just need to send the tractor company’s a polite message to share their can messages before you completely decimate their guidance business with your open source solution!

That might be when the men in black show up though...

They seem to be getting smarter putting the basics behind password protected gateways as well. They really don't want to play very nicely, so it kinda leaves CAN out along with the mystery of which pgn's being used.

The other plan is to make librairies for UBX and use directly.

Ethernet wired udp, serial, and wifi. Would that be the minimum?

Jays_Truck, WW and dairytech like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Hi Brian,

a quick mockup (thrown away all the IO of my board - placed only the larger parts, no tracks ...) of an PCB.
Did you think about something like that?

greetings

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mokup.jpg (357.9 KB, 32 views)
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I also put myself on the pre-order list for the simpleRTK2B+heading kit.

CAN output would be handy but my top 4 output choices would be
1) Serial (both USB and DB9)
2) Ethernet
3) Bluetooth
4) Wi-Fi

I realize that NMEA2K is proprietary but it seems that equipment manufacturers are going this route along with others but how many options can a guy need?
That IP67 enclosure would be very welcome.
BrianTee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
+1 for USB Serial

Works well for me as it provides comms and powers the board with 1 cable
My Ardusimple never missed a beat during seeding this year
BrianTee, Kaupoi, WTalen and 1 others like this.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
UDP Ethernet port and Serial
WW likes this.
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTalen View Post
top 4 output choices would be
1) Serial (both USB and DB9)
2) Ethernet
3) Bluetooth
4) Wi-Fi
+1
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTalen View Post
I also put myself on the pre-order list for the simpleRTK2B+heading kit
Expecting one of the mite units to show up shortly.

One of the things they've done right is to keep it simple, and it has allowed them to be aggressive with the pricing.
A big trap here is kitchen sinking the design and ending up with a $400-500 board, and still be missing that one check-box item to close the sale.

STMicro has a number of pretty cost effective Discovery boards with shield connectors. I've been using them to mash designs together quickly.
A couple of the boards have Ethernet+PoE, most have an LCD and SD Card slot. The H745I-DISCO has a pair of FD-CAN transceivers.

I'm pretty happy with the throw of the LoRa radios, but want to understand the technologies that are prevalent in the field, so to speak..
I'd be interested to hear about peoples experience with WiFi and the sort of coverage achieved in an Ag environment.
The European market seems to favour GSM/Cellular for RTCM3 / NTRIP connectivity.

NFA Crew - Viking-Sorcery
Team uBlox - Team STM32
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hello,

If I understood well, the interest of the simpleRTK2B+simpleRTK2Blite is to have a dual antena system that can provide a very stable heading ? That provide directly in the GPS sentences (not in NMA but in UBX format) a more stable heading than the BNO055 : the heading calculation are directly done by the 2 boards and sends to the receiver ? With this system, the BNO055 is no more requested.

By reading the Ardusimple product page, I also discover that it is possible, with a 3 GPS antena configuration, to do a fully attitude calculation (so pitch/roll compensation). I do not know this method to calculate attitude. I made some resarch for my personal knowledges and I found some informations and publications (not fully read for now) :
https://www.novatel.com/solutions/attitude/#whatWeOffer
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/c...9960017562.pdf

Has this solution already been considered, in order to replace MMA8451 or Dog2, especially if there now cheap GPS module like simpleRTK2Blite on the market ?
Did you know if it's more or less precise than an IMU ?

Math
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Well the ArduSimple boards don't contain micro-controllers, so the relative antenna positions is pulled from a NED vector (North, East, Down from UBX-NAV-RELPOSNED). The math involved is high school level geometry, early teens stuff in my rough recollection of UK schools, probably late teens in USA.

I know people who've spent a lot of money on electronic compass solutions, and been very highly dissatisfied. The simple dual antenna arrangement is quite effective, especially if one can decide on a left-right, front-back orientation for the vehicle, based on the angle you've got critical interest in. Precision comes from the separation you can achieve between the antennas.

Not sure I'd build a 3-antenna system with ZED's, I'd probably opt for an L1 NEO-M8P solution for the secondary and tertiary antennas, would likely be fine on a tractor with a large open field. It doesn't even need a full RTK fixed/float solution to get a good vector model.

I do have a 3-shield motherboard on it's way.

NFA Crew - Viking-Sorcery
Team uBlox - Team STM32
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Nick1
Math:- "Did you know if it's more or less precise than an IMU ?"

I thought the IMU offers relative positioning but wont accurately show the exact heading,

A super magnet would 'Bend the heading reading' from the IMU as it passes by. ( talking indoors, at close range, as an extreme case.)
Does the IMU heading need to be realigned by a GPS/other compass occasionally, or often like every minute?

For indoor work the IMU or Lidar or RealView is essential and the GPS is useless.
Outdoors, the GPS system is quite robust and exact accuracy can be closely achieved, whereas the IMU has no chance since that the earths magnetic field is not a perfect shape and external magnetic forces effect you differently from point to point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page