Compatible GPS for AgOpenGPS - The Combine Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Compatible GPS for AgOpenGPS

Hi!

I am new to AgOpenGPS and the Combine Forum. I looking to setup AOG and AOG Autosteer. I was wondering if this Trimble DGPS Receiver (The link didn't work, so search ebay for this listing number: 173899691130) would work with AOG. The manual reads: NMEA-0183 output to external NMEA devices (supported messages are ALM, GGA, GLL, GSA, GSV, VTG, and ZDA).

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Trimble-DGPS...UAAOSw~plc1mdF

I think that would be the link.

I looked quickly for the manual and could not find it. As long as it outputs nmea messages it will work, but...
Depending on what you want to do with aog there are a few things to consider.
If you want to just do light bar guidance and mapping a gps that has a refresh rate of 5hz and a connection speed to the computer of 19200baud you will be good. My limited experience with older survey gps systems is that is all they are capable of since they are not mapping moving equipment.
If you want to do autosteer I highly recommend a rtk system with a 10 hz update rate. Lets face it, aog and all other systems depend on a good gps position. I think I still have a lump on the side of my head from loosing rtk at 13mph and the sprayer trying to hit the "new" position. Not to mention it is also harder to tune aog if your location keeps moving.

BrianTee and lgrocholl like this.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that info!

So could point me in the direction of a GPS Receiver that would be better suited to to my application and work with AgOpenGPS and AOG Auto-steer. (My budget is $200, I am just looking for something to mess around with and get comfortable with AOG before I upgrade.)

Again, thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:50 PM

https://store.emlid.com/product/reachm-plus/

It is a bit more than your budget and you still have to buy a good antenna. Those little puck style one are pretty poor. So add about a 100 bucks for an antenna(which I still need one more). On the plus side of going this way you can get rtk corrections by using a service like rtk2go and your hotspot on the phone.
For really cheap and testing purposes something like this will work, but probably not very well for autosteer.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GPS-...e-90eb95ba3aa1
There is also a simulator to get used to aog. Read through the rtk on a budget thread. Some ideas there too.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Not sure where you're at, you're level of refinement vs willingness to tinker and if any correction signals are available.

Overall, if you're comfortable with a bit of web searching and following instructions to setup, I'd suggest an F9P based unit such as:
May be a little over you're budget, but they are rick slid RTK units when provided with correction signals.

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...8aAohGEALw_wcB
or
https://www.ardusimple.com/product/s...rter-kit-ip65/
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:50 PM

Jb1, are those puck antennas that come with the f9p any good? I am guessing you still have to have a good ground plane. Or is a guy still in need of a better one?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
The F9P boards aren't exactly turn-key though. Emlid is releasing a F9P version of their nice rugged, self-contained units, but of course the price will be an order of magnitude more than the $200 he wants to spend.

Yes the antennas work best when they are stuck on a metal plate for a ground plane. But they work well enough without. I am currently using them without. I'm using the uBlox antennas that Ardusimple is now shipping standard.

For experimentation purposes, any GPS receiver that can output serial NMEA strings will get you started at least. Even if it's not RTK.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi, similar question: I'm looking at just using AOG as a lightbar for now but maybe autosteer in the future. If I got the Ardusimple kit linked above how accurate is it without RTK? Does it get WAAS and be accurate to 6 to 8 inches like a Trimble AG15 antenna is advertised. Thanks for all the knowledge shared on this site about more affordable guidance systems.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks JB_1 and Torriem.

I was able to pick up a Trimble system for $75 total on ebay with Differential GPS, 5HZ refresh rate and claimed +/- 5cm accuracy to boot. In the future, when I implement autosteer, I think I will try building my own rtk receiver as described in the AOG wiki agopengps.gh-ortner.com/doku.php?id=gps:start Has any one had luck using this with autosteer or are there better options available for the price?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
Hi, similar question: I'm looking at just using AOG as a lightbar for now but maybe autosteer in the future. If I got the Ardusimple kit linked above how accurate is it without RTK? Does it get WAAS and be accurate to 6 to 8 inches like a Trimble AG15 antenna is advertised. Thanks for all the knowledge shared on this site about more affordable guidance systems.
No the Ardusimple uses the ZED-F9P which does not support SBAS systems like WAAS. So accuracy on their own is no better than 1.5 metres or worse. ZED-F9Ps are really designed for use in an RTK system, correcting with observations from a nearby base station.

WTalen and p00qwerty like this.

Last edited by torriem; 06-05-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page