AGOpenGPS + Tree Planter - The Combine Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
AGOpenGPS + Tree Planter

Hi
I'm new on this, I'm installing AGOpenGPS on a tractor, but I need to use to plant trees with a planter tath I made, and I need to measure distances from one plant to another, It's possible use AGOpenGPS to do this with some changes?, I'm only need to set the start point in a Row, and set a distance, like 1 meter, and I need to get some signal (may be an Arduino to activate a relay)

Now I have a tractor with a Topcon Autosteer, and ? only need to measure the distance, but I loved if AgOpenGPS to do this to implement on more tractors, also I have 2 ArduSimple boards communicated by Xbee (Base and Rover) and I get RTK Fix to the rover for do this measure correct.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flozano View Post
Hi
I'm new on this, I'm installing AGOpenGPS on a tractor, but I need to use to plant trees with a planter tath I made, and I need to measure distances from one plant to another, It's possible use AGOpenGPS to do this with some changes?, I'm only need to set the start point in a Row, and set a distance, like 1 meter, and I need to get some signal (may be an Arduino to activate a relay)

Now I have a tractor with a Topcon Autosteer, and ? only need to measure the distance, but I loved if AgOpenGPS to do this to implement on more tractors, also I have 2 ArduSimple boards communicated by Xbee (Base and Rover) and I get RTK Fix to the rover for do this measure correct.

Would you manually reset the distance at the start of the row?

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your answer, and thanks for this great software.

Yes, I can manually reset on each row.

Some systems like Cerea, Topcon or Trimble, have an option for tree planting, and you setup the width and spacing, but is more complex, for me, I only need a signal very x distance to activate a relay.
I think if it not possible to implement on AGOpenGPS, may be I can do with ardusimple and a Arduino.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flozano View Post
Thanks for your answer, and thanks for this great software.

Yes, I can manually reset on each row.

Some systems like Cerea, Topcon or Trimble, have an option for tree planting, and you setup the width and spacing, but is more complex, for me, I only need a signal very x distance to activate a relay.
I think if it not possible to implement on AGOpenGPS, may be I can do with ardusimple and a Arduino.

So you would need a button to reset distance in AgOpenGPS, then send the distance out the autosteer port? Is centimeters accurate enough? How fast are you driving?

The arduino then could keep track of accumulated distance and trigger as required. When it sees a zero come its way, it could just reset and start again.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
So you would need a button to reset distance in AgOpenGPS, then send the distance out the autosteer port? Is centimeters accurate enough? How fast are you driving?

The arduino then could keep track of accumulated distance and trigger as required. When it sees a zero come its way, it could just reset and start again.
Yes, I need different distances (for different plantations), but in this moment I need plant to 80cm of distance, with Ardusimple I get 1 cm accuracie

The Speed Will be 1km/h or 2 km/h.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

if you find in youtube (I can't post links because I'm new) "GPS Tree Planting", there are a lot of examples, I will planting a vineyard.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Cross-posted thread on ArduSimple SimpleRTK2B + Arduino + Base station to measure distance. - ArduSimple
flozano likes this.

NFA Crew - Viking-Sorcery
Team uBlox - Team STM32
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:08 AM

I'm working on it. As usual all the GUI and settings crap is what takes all the time.
MTZ8302 and flozano like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
I'm working on it. As usual all the GUI and settings crap is what takes all the time.
Hi Brian,

Last year we planted vineyards with a GPS machine.
For this it might be good to set/modify the angle between rows and transverse direction, normally 90°.
Modifying this angle gives you the ability to have all first plants of the lines in one row in not rectangular field.

The latest software of those machines does 90° in the fields and creates wedges at the headland to have all first plants in one row.

The easy way of this would be use allways 90° and be able to set plants by hand, or plant at the headland line to have a exact start/end.

Just my 2ct
Greetings Matthias
BrianTee likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:56 PM

Thanks MTZ, that will have to be version 2! I'm not sure i understand all that.

Requirements:
Have 1 section only.
The start/stop button automatically turns on/off the manual for mapping.

Be sure to set the spacing before starting in gps/imu settings, tree plant tab.

The arduino can read the uturn byte which contains the distance left to travel to the next tree. When it drops back to 0, then trigger to plant. Easily done as you just compare the last value with the new value and if the new value is less then last one - bam, plant time.
This is first attempt, but it should work. I'll put on github dev.

MTZ8302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page